kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

1 minute ago, HummingLemon496 said:

So if it's fine for NWH to not make sense because "Every CBM can be nitpicked to death" then why isn't it fine for Multiverse of Madness? For thing that doesn't make sense in MoM you can name something that doesn't make sense in NWH

People watch CBMs for the characters. NWH handled its characters well, except for Strange but he wasn’t in most of it.

DS2 butchered its characters, especially Wanda who was the main draw for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Just to counter the frankly baffling ‘Deadpool & Wolverine is the greatest movie of all time’ madness that’s dominating the thread from some - there are some of us that really didn’t think it was all that. 

Like really. I can’t even imagine watching it again anytime soon. It was fine. 

I know I’m not alone, and I really don’t need people telling me I’m wrong either as it’s all about opinions, which I respect.

I’m loving that it’s doing so well, but its performance and timing in terms of the sort of film it is, is what’s caused it to go gonzo at the box office. 

Throwing shade at NWH like it pales in comparison to this Deadpool movie - this is getting out of hand! 

As someone that loves both Deadpool & Wolverine and Spider-Man: No Way Home, I hear you.

But you’ve been around long enough. BOT is gonna BOT.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Multiverse of Madness is flawed as fuck, it’s a B movie through and through. That’s still a Sam Raimi’s B movie though, something I can’t say about any of the Raimi’s Spider-Man films. I think the biggest issue is that it’s half measure. It should have gone full ham horror. I’m opposed to making most superhero films Rated R, but I do think that it should have leaned more on that. 

Yeah, MOM is horror for teenagers, ditto it is very cartoonish and quite comedic in it’s approach.

Is probably closer to Ghostbusters or Beetlejuice in tone (or Evil Dead 3 to be obvious) than anything else on MCU. 

I guess it could’ve fully embodied it, but i don’t think that would be possible in an interconnected universe, even if the movie does a lot to work as a separate adventure in many moments. I’m very glad it exists, it’ll go down as an interesting release from Marvel in the future. NWH and D&W seems more like instant gratification for me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

People watch CBMs for the characters. NWH handled its characters well, except for Strange but he wasn’t in most of it.

DS2 butchered its characters, especially Wanda who was the main draw for it.

They turned Peter into a clown because he brings insane villains into his house 

Guys, can we not make this whole thread about Spider-Man: No Way Home and Doctor Strange 2? 

This is about Deadpool and Wolverine's second weekend hold and both Trap and Harold and the Purple Crayon. 

Can we not do like what we did last time and just have pages and pages of a thread be dedicated to pointless discussions that aren't gonna go anywhere? 

NWH & Deadpool / Wolverine are virtually the same movie. It does the exact same thing with and for the characters, with the same tricks even. 

One is more dramatic and the other more comedic, but honestly, they’re just a repetition of older succesful and beloved ideas. There shades of both in EndGame for example.

Is really not shocking that all 3 have very similarly audience reception.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Just to counter the frankly baffling ‘Deadpool & Wolverine is the greatest movie of all time’ madness that’s dominating the thread from some - there are some of us that really didn’t think it was all that. 

I know I’m not alone, and I really don’t need people telling me I’m wrong either as it’s all about opinions, which I respect.

I’m loving that it’s doing so well, but its performance and timing in terms of the sort of film it is, is what’s caused it to go gonzo at the box office. 

Throwing shade at NWH like it pales in comparison to this Deadpool movie - this is getting out of hand! 

I wasn't sure how I felt about it the first time either. I did not like a lot of the exposition near the beginning of the movie. But then I saw it a second time, which I'm not suggesting that you do, I'm just simply stating that when I saw it a second time I kind of fell in love with it. 

I completely understand why you don't like it all that much though. And no you shouldn't have to justify your opinions.

• Heart 1

“Any cbm can be nitpicked” is kind of a weak sauce copout. Some of them have really glaring logical/plot issue that are apparent on first watch and require major suspension of disbelief, and some are very well put together with only minor issues that you have to go actively digging for. And that correlates reasonably (though not perfectly) with reception

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ryan C said:

Guys, can we not make this whole thread about Spider-Man: No Way Home and Doctor Strange 2? 

This is about Deadpool and Wolverine's second weekend hold and both Trap and Harold and the Purple Crayon. 

Can we not do like what we did last time and just have pages and pages of a thread be dedicated to pointless discussions that aren't gonna go anywhere? 

There’s no numbers to discuss. I would love to talk about Trap tho, sadly it only releases here next week. 

Weekend threads are for overall discussions, especially without new numbers. Unless it’s way off topic (talk about the MCU in D&W weekend thread seems fitting imo), it’s fine.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, MOM is horror for teenagers, ditto it is very cartoonish and quite comedic in it’s approach.

Is probably closer to Ghostbusters or Beetlejuice in tone (or Evil Dead 3 to be obvious) than anything else on MCU. 

I guess it could’ve fully embodied it, but i don’t think that would be possible in an interconnected universe, even if the movie does a lot to work as a separate adventure in many moments. I’m very glad it exists, it’ll go down as an interesting release from Marvel in the future. NWH and D&W seems more like instant gratification for me.

I guess that it’s a hard thing to juggle, and then again the film is clearly well liked and was well received, despite BOT discourse. While at same time that Deadpool and Wolverine shows that you can have a full blown MCU Rated R blockbuster and that I personally think that if they leaned on the horror aspects for a full blown Marvel horror film, I think they need to be mindful of their younger audience as well, both for box office reasons and the longevity of the franchise.

And exactly, very much so Evil Dead 3 on its approach and people are fooling themselves thinking that Raimi had any more creative freedom with the Sony’s Spider joints than he did in the MCU. Kevin Feige is no Avi Arad, never was and never will be.

I’m conflicted with the idea of Marvel Studios leaning too much into Rated R films, I think there is room for them, but they need to be thought through more than simply "the story requires it". You need to be careful and mindful to not alienate their younger audiences as well. I do think that Blade and Midnight Suns could use a Rated R rating, and while I’d welcome a Rated R Doctor Strange sequel, I’m not convinced that that would be the right move for the franchise.

Just let Sam Raimi and his crew deal with the supernatural side of the MCU. Tag him with Michael Giacchinno and Fede Alvarez and go wild with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

There’s no numbers to discuss. I would love to talk about Trap tho, sadly it only releases here next week. 

Weekend threads are for overall discussions, especially without new numbers. Unless it’s way off topic (talk about the MCU in D&W weekend thread seems fitting imo), it’s fine.

I actually just got out of Trap about an hour ago. Without spoiling anything, it's a lot of fun until it kind of isn't, but I'm glad to have seen it in a theater with an audience that was laughing at the funniest moments. 

Also, I know there's no numbers right now, but I just find it annoying that I get out of the movie, check my phone, go to the forum, and see pages and pages dedicated to Spider-Man: No Way Home and Doctor Strange 2. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Yeah, NWH still feels like a proper movie with proper story beats. I was actually surprised how well it handled the Maguire/Garfield stuff in a way that made it feel much more natural than the cameos in Deadpool and Wolverine.

NWH doesn't hold up on rewatch, but it's still much better than D&W and actually makes me think Watts is a really good studio director.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

What's everyone's top 3 most anticipated for next year?

Elio

Superman/F4 tied - excited for both in the same exact way

Mikey 17 

In that order 

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I guess that it’s a hard thing to juggle, and then again the film is clearly well liked and was well received, despite BOT discourse. While at same time that Deadpool and Wolverine shows that you can have a full blown MCU Rated R blockbuster and that I personally think that if they leaned on the horror aspects for a full blown Marvel horror film, I think they need to be mindful of their younger audience as well, both for box office reasons and the longevity of the franchise.

And exactly, very much so Evil Dead 3 on its approach and people are fooling themselves thinking that Raimi had any more creative freedom with the Sony’s Spider joints than he did in the MCU. Kevin Feige is no Avi Arad, never was and never will be.

I’m conflicted with the idea of Marvel Studios leaning too much into Rated R films, I think there is room for them, but they need to be thought through more than simply "the story requires it". You need to be careful and mindful to not alienate their younger audiences as well. I do think that Blade and Midnight Suns could use a Rated R rating, and while I’d welcome a Rated R Doctor Strange sequel, I’m not convinced that that would be the right move for the franchise.

Just let Sam Raimi and his crew deal with the supernatural side of the MCU. Tag him with Michael Giacchinno and Fede Alvarez and go wild with it.

Yeah Strange seems too important in other projects to have solo hard R movies, the cartoonish horror is fun and fits very well. I think people was mad at MOM more because it didn’t gave them the cameos neither care much about the multiverse, not because of the tone. They can try it again indeed, even with Raimi. 

Agreed on Blade, i would love if they get Del Toro to do it before he goes fully to animated projects.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I actually just got out of Trap about an hour ago. Without spoiling anything, it's a lot of fun until it kind of isn't, but I'm glad to have seen it in a theater with an audience that was laughing at the funniest moments. 

That’s what i’m expecting. I think Shyamalan always face unfair criticism over how goofy he actually is. He clearly wants to make horror movies that vents a lot in other genres, including comedic and absurd ones. For some reason it always generate a lot of backlash, dude simply can’t get over The Sixth Sense expectations.

I’m seeing Trap today with some coworkers. Shyamalan is a filmmaker I like and usually respect even if it doesn’t work out. 

Speaking of which, I will go to bat for his last three movies and say they’re some of his best work.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah Strange seems too important in other projects to have solo hard R movies, the cartoonish horror is fun and fits very well. I think people was mad at MOM more because it didn’t gave them the cameos neither care much about the multiverse, not because of the tone. They can try it again indeed, even with Raimi. 

Agreed on Blade, i would love if they get Del Toro to do it before he goes fully to animated projects.

I definitely think Del Toro would be game, I really like the idea of horror directors taking turns with Doctor Strange. Also, get Mike Flanagan into the MCU. Make that the Rahul Kholi MCU vehicle, Marvel horror is fun. 

• Like 2

And I'm seeing Trap in 15 minutes. Got to the theater very early and I'm sitting around waiting for previews to end and I thought I'd check on numbers and to see people's thoughts. Not seeing a lot of discussion beyond the weekend prospects being so-so for it this weekend. 

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I definitely think Del Toro would be game, I really like the idea of horror directors taking turns with Doctor Strange. Also, get Mike Flanagan into the MCU. Make that the Rahul Kholi MCU vehicle, Marvel horror is fun. 

Their Werewolf TV special was probably the best thing Marvel did for D+, it really have potential.