kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

4 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

With Deadpool & Wolverine, that marks a whopping 6 movies post-pandemic (the others being No Way Home, Top Gun: Maverick, Mario, Barbie, and Inside Out 2) that sold more tickets domestically than Avatar 2. I think Moana 2, Passion of the Christ 2, Minecraft, and Zootopia 2 have shots at beating Avatar 2 in admissions.

In comparison, no movie post-pandemic sold more tickets than the first Avatar domestically. In fact, only two movies in the 21st century, those being the mega-events of The Force Awakens and Avengers: Endgame sold more tickets than the first Avatar domestically.

Worldwide? What?

Also so DPW last night and God what a cringy experience (audience was also terrible and basically talking at normal volume throughout)? 

Glad for the industry / theaters for it to be making money, but has no business going further than $600m.

10 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Worldwide? What?

Also so DPW last night and God what a cringy experience (audience was also terrible and basically talking at normal volume throughout)? 

Glad for the industry / theaters for it to be making money, but has no business going further than $600m.

I didn't love it either but I  want it to make all the money. Great for theaters. But, yes, ugly looking, flat, dull mid their Mel Brooks superhero fluff. Weak R too. Could've went so much further but very limp in that way. Extremely safe. But, that's probably why it's so popular. 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

The Village opened 20 years ago. That movie opened with 50M! But it dropped off hard do the negative WOM over the twists. 

It wasn't the twists they marketed as a horror movie and when they didn't get that audiences were upset Village is a masterpiece btw. 

• Like 2

Just now, Grand Cine said:

https://www.indiewire.com/news/box-office/deadpool-wolverine-august-box-office-embarrassment-1235031021/

I think Indiewire is very pessimist for August 🤣. Deadpool the Saviour for them.

Honestly, they are always pessimistic. I have never seen a box office website so hellbent on the comparisons between a weekend from the current year and one from the previous year. That pretty much determines the state of the box office for them. 

If this current weekend is better than last year's the box office is thriving but if the current weekend is worse than last year's (even by a small margin) the box office is in a bad place and you'll get nothing but an article that (though informative) feels like it was written by someone who needs a bit more optimism in their lives. 

Just learned via Empire that the new Planet of the Apes is out on Disney+.

If I never watched the Matt Reeves Apes films, would I be lost or nah? Maybe I should watch them all, but not sure if I will have the time during the weekend.

Just now, Michael Gary Scott said:

It wasn't the twists they marketed as a horror movie and when they didn't get that audiences were upset Village is a masterpiece btw. 

Last act is brutally boring. The parents scheme to shelter people is wonderfully hilarious though. I love M Night because he's a covert comedian. Old is awesome. Probably the movie that is most true to him. Just delicious trash.

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

If I never watched the Matt Reeves Apes films, would I be lost or nah? Maybe I should watch them all, but not sure if I will have the time during the weekend.

No. It's it's own thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

he's one of the most knowledgeable people in the EFAP group. 

Are!’t those the dudes who spent like 12 hours ranting about some YouTuber’s negative Joker review that lasted like…a half hour? Not sure if that is something to be proud of, mate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

You can watch without seeing the Reeves Apes but think you are missing out in not seeing the Reeves Apes because they’re so damn good.

33 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Uh are you ok? Because I didn't bring up Netflix lol. I also didn't say anything anti-Marvel Studios. Though kind of a funny comparison to make since Netflix let Guillermo make a dark version of Pinocchio about fascism. Do you imagine Disney doing that? Hmm I wonder what Disney's version of Pinocchio was like that year?

I was howling of excitement when it won the Oscar, insane movie 

Should’ve been at least nominated for BP

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

No. It's it's own thing.

Thanks, I might watch them retroactively lol, kinda hyped with the Disney+ upgrade here in Brazil. We basically have Disney+ + Hulu together here.

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Their Werewolf TV special was probably the best thing Marvel did for D+, it really have potential.

Speaking of which I was surprised to hear that Gachhino is doing the score for Fantastic Four,given he is pursuing his new career as director with the 'Them!" remake. I guess doing a score rooted in early Sixties music was too tempting for him, and he made time for it.

I still then Feige made a mistake in not singing Cacchino to do a MCU film after Werwolf, and let WB steal him for 'THEM",

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

Thanks, I might watch them retroactively lol, kinda hyped with the Disney+ upgrade here in Brazil. We basically have Disney+ + Hulu together here.

In the US we have that and another package that includes Max.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

I was howling of excitement when it won the Oscar, insane movie 

Should’ve been at least nominated for BP

2022 had a lot of great animated films: Mad God, Turning Red, Suzume, GDT’s Pinocchio, Wendell and Wild, Entergalactic, Puss 2, Marcel the Shell with Shoes On and many more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Just watch the 3 movies. The 2011 one and the Matt Reeves two movies. They‘re their own thing separately. 

Both Matt Reeves movies are among the best Hollywood as an industry can offer. Masterful blockbusters, artfully made, insanely well crafted, a rarity these days. War is the better one imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I’m seeing Trap today with some coworkers. Shyamalan is a filmmaker I like and usually respect even if it doesn’t work out. 

Speaking of which, I will go to bat for his last three movies and say they’re some of his best work.

I’ve been pushing that his new era of movies have been some of his best for a while now. Old and Glass and Split and Cabin have all excelled as some of his most creative and emotionally resonant movies yet. Really, of his post-blockbuster era, The Visit is the only one of his I’ve hated, though that is in large part because I think he did a crummy job re: the whole found footage angle. Not sure what the point was (well, outside of keeping costs down)

• Like 1

Just now, dudalb said:

In the US we have that and another package that includes Max.

I’ve been out of Max for a while. Fuck Zaslav. I will be back for The Penguin and leave once again. My subscriptions currently are Disney+, Amazon Prime, Globoplay, Tidal and Netflix (begrudgingly).

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Just watch the 3 movies. The 2011 one and the Matt Reeves two movies. They‘re their own thing separately. 

Both Matt Reeves movies are among the best Hollywood as an industry can offer. Masterful blockbusters, artfully made, insanely well crafted, a rarity these days. War is the better one imo. 

I kinda hate the first one but oddly my mom and her brother love it lol. I can’t stand James Franco. Maybe I will start with the Reeves ones then.

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

2022 had a lot of great animated films: Mad God, Turning Red, Suzume, GDT’s Pinocchio, Wendell and Wild, Entergalactic, Puss 2, Marcel the Shell with Shoes On and many more.

Indeed, absolutely loved Belle as well. 

That was a 2021 movie actually but since it was only available outside of Japan in 2022 i think it counts haha.

• Like 1