kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

It seems like it was dumped.

The trailer was beautiful but maybe it would've been better suited as an animated short.

Bruh what?

I'm saying in the sense that it is opening the weekend after Transformers One.

The movie looks great and could do decent business. This is the mistake.

5 hours ago, JimmyB said:

I couldn't find M37's post but he did all the work and basically Event/FOMO movies have been carrying the box office for sometime now.  I think this is the new normal, the numbers say its the new normal.  We'll have two movies this summer that'll make over 600m domestic and those 2 movies will gross around 35% of the entire summer box office.

With higher ATP's....the number of tickets sold to get to 50m is a lot less so in theory we should see a lot more movies making 50m or more but we don't.  The Event, fear of missing out movies are massive and are filling in the gaps.

BoxOfficeMojo has the Summer box office at 2.7B. Let's write in 800m for August. 3,5B summer.  Summer box office grosses for the past 3 years.  May was awful this year missing out on a big even movie to kick off the Summer so it's not worth posting.  After a bad start the summer is grosses are back to normal but to get to normal you need movies entering the Domestic Top 10 of all time list.

June 2024 - 965 million

June 2023 - 1B

June 2022 - 968m

July 2024 - 1,18B

July 2023 - 1.36B

July 2022 - 1.13B

August 2024 - 800m

August 2023 - 812m

August 2022 - 466m (just a dead month besides Bullet Train)

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/season/?ref_=bo_nb_hm_secondarytab

I actually think August has a solid chance beat 2023. Not only that because DW's run skewing more to August, also don't forget that August this year has near 5 weekend, instead of four weekend. That give August some extra advantage, both Aliens and It ends with us also on track for at least ok OW.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, harry713 said:

With DP&W heading for 600m+ DOM, this will be only the second calendar year two films pass that threshold with IO2 already comfortably over the milestone. The other year being 2018 where 3 films passed the threshold (BP, A:IW, Incredibles2).

Now I really do hope Moana2 overperforms and pulls off 600m DOM too so Disney can have a near mirror performance (unadjusted) to 2018 with less than half the number of films released. 

Man, I loved 2018.

Into the Spider-verse and Mission Impossible Fall Out came out that year too. 

• Like 1

Wild Robot's situation isn't ideal but I think it is in the best spot it can possibly be at this point if it wants to come out this year. It's better that it has as much distance as possible from Wicked/Moana before those release, and assuming it is quality word of mouth should carry it through October/November even if it has a muted opening. If its date was switched with Transformers that would be a bigger problem.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Wild Robot's situation isn't ideal but I think it is in the best spot it can possibly be at this point if it wants to come out this year. It's better that it has as much distance as possible from Wicked/Moana before those release, and assuming it is quality word of mouth should carry it through October/November even if it has a muted opening. If its date was switched with Transformers that would be a bigger problem.

Agree on that. The openings for both are definitely going to be muted for being so close to each other , like Garfield/IF were. But unlike those two movies, Transformers and The Wild Robot don't have a 650+ sized animated monster coming out within spitting distance of them. They both will be the only new options for 2 months. And they're both targeting families but they definitely have different appeal still and will appeal to a wide variety of kids. 

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Transformers should have come out in early August like TMNT. Paramount sabotaging one of their releases again.

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Transformers should have come out in early August like TMNT. Paramount sabotaging one of their releases again.

They don't want to be destroyed by Harold.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Any guesses why movies that open to 200+m always cross 600m?

Is it the momentum or a lucky coincidence? 

Momentum. Movies opening that big have to have a significant level of hype and anticipation behind them and so far all of them have delivered on that. So with that hype they'll have very good legs or they'll be less leggy (IW and Endgame) but that's offset by their monstrous size of their opening. 

• Like 3

600 off a 200m open is a 3x multiplier which is generally considered average legs. Capacity issues opening weekend likely do factor into it as well. I guess Deadpool did have some casual crowd-shy interest that was willing to brave spoilers and wait another week

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Transformers had to be sacrificed for Inside Out to potentially break top 10 domestic, it had to be done 

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

600 off a 200m open is a 3x multiplier which is generally considered average legs. Capacity issues opening weekend likely do factor into it as well. I guess Deadpool did have some casual crowd-shy interest that was willing to brave spoilers and wait another week

In December that would be average legs (NWH). But in the summer it's fantastic legs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HummingLemon496 said:

In December that would be average legs (NWH). But in the summer it's fantastic legs.

3x multiplier is pretty standard in Summer. But CBMs are more frontloaded, so 3x is harder.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I think repeat viewings are a massive factor in this weekend's strong hold. With the kind of comic-book movie it is, I have no doubt that a lot of fans or even just general people who saw it last weekend are either seeing it again by themselves or bringing their friends or family members. 

That'll definitely keep it chugging along until we get past Labor Day weekend.

Wow, amazing number for holdovers, especially D&W. It has great chances of doing $600, i never thought that it was posible. Next weekend it wont held strong as many expect, a lot of movies tend to have surprisingly good second weekend holds (JW, Avengers, IO2, Beauty and the Beast) and then not so great third weekend hold

IO2 has increases it chances to be in top 10 domestic beatng JW

• Like 1