kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

1 hour ago, Jiffy said:

Looking at week-to-week drops before and after won't quantify the audience segment who now never shows up in the first place since they have been trained to expect digital access within 1 month of release instead of 2 or 3. I'm sure that may be a relatively small portion but don't know why I'd want to train to that now from a studio perspective (except I guess the cited reason using it as a way to avoid double-spending on ad campaigns, still seems short-sighted).

I went through this in the Twisters thread but first of all PVOD money still goes to the studio, so I can definitely see the motivation there.

Second of all, and I know it may be unpopular to say this on a box office forum, but the fact is that some people just don't romanticize the theatrical experience the way we do. It can be stressful and more trouble than it's worth to plan for it if you're a large family or otherwise don't hold the experience in such a mystique that you wouldn't rather just watch a movie at home. PVOD is here to stay, and at least with that you do have the possibility of maintaining a customer base that otherwise doesn't have much interest in the cinema as a going out option. It probably does lower the ceiling of the theatrical base, but it also expands the pop culture reach potential of films overall. Even before COVID a movie's theatrical run wasn't the end-all be-all of its cultural impact. Home TV viewing has been how most of the population has experienced movies ever since VHS hit the market.

Edited by AniNate

53 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Borderlands still has an XD screen at my local Cinemark.  Looks like Friday's  8pm show has 9 tickets sold between Dbox and Luxury recliners.

https://www.fandango.com/cinemark-tinseltown-jacksonville-and-xd-aaili/theater-page?format=all&date=2024-08-09

Same here on the XD allocations. There is a missing showtime though, Friday's usually have 6 scheduled and Borderlands only has 5 so I'm wondering if they're waiting for clearance to give it to Deadpool or something

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I went through this in the Twisters thread but first of all PVOD money still goes to the studio, so I can definitely see the motivation there.

Second of all, and I know it may be unpopular to say this on a box office forum, but the fact is that some people just don't romanticize the theatrical experience the way we do. It can be stressful and more trouble than it's worth to plan for it if you're a large family or otherwise don't hold the experience in such a mystique that you wouldn't rather just watch a movie at home. PVOD is here to stay, and at least with that you do have the possibility of maintaining a customer base that otherwise doesn't have much interest in the cinema as a going out option. It probably does lower the ceiling of the theatrical base, but it also expands the pop culture reach potential of films overall. Even before COVID a movie's theatrical run wasn't the end-all be-all of its cultural impact. Home TV viewing has been how most of the population has experienced movies ever since VHS hit the market.

100% True on all this.

Though the problem is that (and I kind of said this yesterday) is that studios now have gotten even less patience to wait after the theatrical run of a movie to see if it can find new life. They want to make as much money as possible (hence why there was a sudden switch from streaming to theatrical) and don't have the patience to wait if a movie could become a runaway or leggy hit. That's why you see so many films come to PVOD early and even though I don't think affects the individual films and their performances that much, it still shows that times have changed. 

I don't know. Maybe what I'm saying doesn't make much sense, but I can just tell after everything that happened with the pandemic and the studios spending ridiculous amounts of money to boost up their streaming services, they are even more in a position to make hand-over-fist cash from their movies and that means not just putting them in theaters, but trying to get them on PVOD as fast as possible (even if it's already making money in theaters). 

It's sad. The studios know how lucrative (and important) the movie theater business is, but even that soley isn't enough for them. 

17 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Trying to be as vague as possible so mods don't ban me for spoilers but the sequence involving a person dancing to nsync. It was funny but as silly as anything else in Thor:Love and Thunder. DIfference being that silly belongs in Deadpool movies and not in a Thor movie. Thor 4 was basically a parody. A bad one.  I saw a tweet criticizing marvel fans for liking that Deadpool scene but hating the She-Hulk twerk scene and said it was misogyny. I don't agree with that tweet at all but it shows what works with one character may not work with another.

Oh sorry, I thought you were referring to The Marvels' opening credit scene. I agree that different tones work for different characters.

3 hours ago, Ryan C said:

It's sad. The studios know how lucrative (and important) the movie theater business is, but even that soley isn't enough for them. 

It's a personal choice to spend that $20 to get it for 48 hours instead of waiting until the price drops later or it releases on a streaming service. If there wasn't a legit customer niche for PVOD, studios wouldn't have a reason to continue using it.

Edited by AniNate

4 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

$15M Monday for Deadpool trust the process

It’ll be below 13 lol.   

15 would be a crazy hold, sending to something like a 120 week and TGM dom (not happening)

10 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

It’ll be below 13 lol.   

15 would be a crazy hold, sending to something like a 120 week and TGM dom (not happening)

Schools are closed hence the performance could be boosted 

Edited by Geo1500

49 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Schools are closed hence the performance could be boosted 

Yes we know schools are closed. All taken into account already 

Third and fourth weekend will be crucial for Deadpool & Wolverine if they want to get past Inside Out 2 for highest grossing film in the US/Canada this 2024.

Another 50% weekend drop for D&W next weekend would just make the window close for 2024 domestic box office crown.

Edited by Migs20242
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ryan C said:

I know I'm very late on the PVOD discussion, but I just want to say that I don't think a movie releasing 17 or 31 days on PVOD after or during its theatrical run hurts it that much. 

The best example is Puss in Boots: The Last Wish.

That movie went to PVOD only 16 days after it was officially released in theaters and grossed about $115.5M domestically (about 60% of its final domestic total) after it was available on PVOD. 

Maybe there's a small portion of people who will just wait for the PVOD release, but I think more than 90% of people either don't know or don't care about the PVOD release. If they want to see it in theaters, they will go no matter what.

Puss in Boots is a great example. 

$30 is a lot to pay for a movie you can see in theatres. Some will choose it but, as evidenced with Boots and others, there’s a big audience that actually want to get out of the house and see the films on the big screen. 

Universal might change tact at some point, but I feel that we might as well list what they’ve got coming and the likely PVOD release dates and pin it somewhere. Saves us going round in circles as people don’t necessarily understand how Uni has been working with PVOD distribution for a couple of years now.