AniNate

08/09 WEEKEND: DP&W 53.8, IEWU 50, Borderlands 8.6 ​💣💣💣

23 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Studios really haven't tried in decades.  50 Shades and Divergent are trying?   How about romance, musicals, thrillers, mysteries, dramas, action and comedies and more than one of those a season or even year.  We are more than half the population.  We are half the ticket buyers.  We are not a niche audience.   They were able to do it in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s but they can't do it now?  Yes it's harder with smaller margins and maybe more risk for mid budget films but the marketplace is obviously starved and they have streaming to fall back on.

I think the issue is when studios try to get a mostly female audience in male dominated genres or franchises where it don't work well.

Cause you make a marvel movie for 200-300 million you need to make like 700 million worldwide to become a hit... 

1 minute ago, JWR said:

Holy hell. That's bad.

I don't even wanna know what the drop off from next weekend will be like...

With Alien: Romulus taking away all the PLF screens next weekend, that drop is gonna be the literal definition of atrocious.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The press junket Reynolds/Jackman interview videos have been everywhere in my feed. Great marketing strategy.

No One in the target of this movie could give a f about this dad humour. Does nothing to sell the movie. 

30 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

A/A- cinemascore could help it cross 100m domestic which would be excellent result

On that Topic , let's talk about Blake Lively. Her career is so fascinating. 

She has quite successful movies at box office but interestingly enough, I rarely see her doing big budget tentpole movies.

What's the reason? She is quite good for franchises like Jurassic or even a Marvel or DC movie. I am surprised honestly lol

Several of her films have been based on popular books. Seems like a deliberate choice/strategy to me. But if you look closely she mainly has a mixture of moderate hits/flops on her resume it’s just that these movies have generally been cheap to make. If I had a b-movie type career that I was happy with then there isn’t a real need to change it. Her career reminds me of Jason Statham. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I'm sorry but is anyone surprised that 35% of the audience who showed up last night to It Ends with Us was Hispanic and Latino? 

I really didn't think this book could crossover with a more diverse demographic, but apparently it has and if this keeps going on throughout the weekend, this will be what It Ends with Us needs to hit $50M.

I'm not really surprised, because the Latino audience in USA seems to really have been drawn to "white" (not diverse demographic appealing) movies in the last two years.

I mean, the Latino audience seems to be the bigger audience for Deadpool & Wolverine. Superheroes movie's bigger audience used to be white.

Edited by Kon

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

We are finally witnessing the end of Lionsgate I have foreseen 10 years ago.

Could A24 outgross Lionsgate by the end of this year? Because if they have just one or two more breakout hits this year, they could do it.

13 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I'm sorry but is anyone surprised that 35% of the audience who showed up last night to It Ends with Us was Hispanic and Latino? 

I really didn't think this book could crossover with a more diverse demographic, but apparently it has and if this keeps going on throughout the weekend, this will be what It Ends with Us needs to hit $50M.

Why poc women shouldn't apprecciate a story like this?. What's is about race in such a generic kinda of commercial literature doesn't have any kinda of specific political depth about social issues expect for the domestic abuse?.

I think "every woman" loves a love story with a twist. What race has to do with It? 

Edited by vale9001

3 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

No One in the target of this movie could give a f about this dad humour. Does nothing to sell the movie. 

OK

40 minutes ago, wattage said:

They can go for a theatrical release in the stronger markets and super limited domestic before streaming so they don't have to put a bunch of money into a market that its not poised to do well in, if they're gun shy 

OS is theatrical, it's just US which is Peacock only.

Universal has never really been able to get Bridget Jones to be succeed in the US, even the first film only did $71m but I suppose $200m WW for each film is still a good chunk of change. Johnny English is similar, does nothing in domestically but very successful business on modest budgets.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

With Alien: Romulus taking away all the PLF screens next weekend, that drop is gonna be the literal definition of atrocious.

Yep. If it's lucky, it'll be in the 50-60% range.

Just now, Jonwo said:

OS is theatrical, it's just US which is Peacock only.

Universal has never really been able to get Bridget Jones to be succeed in the US, even the first film only did $71m but I suppose $200m WW for each film is still a good chunk of change. Johnny English is similar, does nothing in domestically but very successful business on modest budgets.

Got it thank you! I still think they can just do a limited run domestic on Valentine's day and not go all out just to test the waters a bit. 

I think there's this assumption in Hollywood that if they just make the usual comic book blockbuster stuff that it'll appeal to mostly male audiences but still rope in a large amount of women, but if they try and make something "for women" it'll end up pulling in almost exclusively women and thus lose more potential viewership.

I don't have a great memory for the viewership percentages but I wonder how many big films get greenlit where the audience ends up being 80% male dominated. I can remember a few that had high male audiences like flash, but that was obviously not expected by the studio and was due to circumstances outside production (though they should have definitely forseen those by that point).

I think there's room for a few catering almost exclusively for one gender, but clearly what is mainly being missed right now is the "slightly female skewing blockbuster" which I believe THG and even HP were.

Studios love to pull exclusively from existing IP for their new franchises, and the death of the YA genre probably really hurt the idea of blockbusters skewing towards women (since women read far more and obviously were more familiar with these franchises). Now execs are forced to choose between making an original film (which they would never do), adapting something that appears more niche (which they hate doing because it requires work on their part to make it more mainstream), redoing or expanding an IP that's already been done in film (sometimes works but often fails due to over saturation and low effort), or take a male dominated IP and try and convince more women to see it by making the lead a woman (their favourite strategy)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

I'm not really surprised, because the Latino audience seems to really have been drawn to "white" (not diverse demographic appealing) movies in the last two years.

I mean, the Latino audience seems to be the bigger audience for Deadpool & Wolverine. Superheroes movie's bigger audience used to be white.

Yeah, but even with Deadpool and Wolverine, it's still a Marvel film and those typically skew a lot more diverse than other franchises. 

This on the other hand is pretty surprising, but also not really. Women are still sadly underserved by Hollywood, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that women of all demos would gravitate towards something that is made more for them regardless of who's in it or not. 

4 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Why poc women shouldn't apprecciate a story like this?. What's is about race in such a generic kinda of commercial literature doesn't have any kinda of specific political depth about social issues expect for the domestic abuse?.

I think "every woman" loves a love story with a twist. What race has to do with It? 

Just to say, I didn't mean for my comment to sound bad. I'm just surprised that the Hispanic and Latino demographic showed up more than I was expecting. 

Apologies if my comment gave off a bad impression.

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

I think it's the assumption that the audience need to be represented by protagonists races to really identify with the characters. 

However, it has been show Latino audience are going to see movies where the protagonists are white. So, it seems this assumption doesn't work for them.

PS: That said, Black and Asian audience seems to be minimal for this movie. So, I wouldn't say representation doesn't affect the interest from the audience.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kon said:

I think it's the assumption that the audience need to be represented by protagonists races to really identify with the characters. 

However, it has been show Latino audience are going to see movies where the protagonists are white. So, it seems this assumption doesn't work for them.

PS: That said, Black and Asian audience seems to be minimal for this movie. So, I wouldn't say representation doesn't affect the interest from the audience.

I think people need to stop thinking so binary and realize people just like cool or interesting stories sometimes.

I know a lot of women of colour who enjoy movies like The Help cause it leads up to an epic shit pie moment lolz

24 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Yeah, but even with Deadpool and Wolverine, it's still a Marvel film and those typically skew a lot more diverse than other franchises. 

This on the other hand is pretty surprising, but also not really. Women are still sadly underserved by Hollywood, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that women of all demos would gravitate towards something that is made more for them regardless of who's in it or not. 

Not women of all demos. The amount of Black (9%) and Asian (9%) women seems to be minimal for It Ends with Us. That's why I feel it's especifically Latino audience who has been drawn to supposed "white" (non-demographically diverse appealing) movies in the last years.

I wouldn't be surprised if future supposed "white" films end up having huge amounts of Latinos.

Edited by Kon

17 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

I think there's this assumption in Hollywood that if they just make the usual comic book blockbuster stuff that it'll appeal to mostly male audiences but still rope in a large amount of women, but if they try and make something "for women" it'll end up pulling in almost exclusively women and thus lose more potential viewership.

I don't have a great memory for the viewership percentages but I wonder how many big films get greenlit where the audience ends up being 80% male dominated. I can remember a few that had high male audiences like flash, but that was obviously not expected by the studio and was due to circumstances outside production (though they should have definitely forseen those by that point).

I think there's room for a few catering almost exclusively for one gender, but clearly what is mainly being missed right now is the "slightly female skewing blockbuster" which I believe THG and even HP were.

Studios love to pull exclusively from existing IP for their new franchises, and the death of the YA genre probably really hurt the idea of blockbusters skewing towards women (since women read far more and obviously were more familiar with these franchises). Now execs are forced to choose between making an original film (which they would never do), adapting something that appears more niche (which they hate doing because it requires work on their part to make it more mainstream), redoing or expanding an IP that's already been done in film (sometimes works but often fails due to over saturation and low effort), or take a male dominated IP and try and convince more women to see it by making the lead a woman (their favourite strategy)

Worth mentioning that Disney skews a lot of their family blockbusters toward women more so than men. The mother/daughter audience for Inside Out 2 was a big discussion point on that opening weekend and last years Little Mermaid remake (and many of their live action remakes) had female skewing audiences. Probably a factor that helped IO2 was that there hadn't been a big movie in a long while aimed toward women when it released. That's obviously not the same as something like It Ends With Us that skews entirely toward adults and that market is very underserved these days.

• Like 3