Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

25 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

https://variety.com/2024/film/columns/where-have-all-the-cinema-lovers-gone-deadpool-wolverine-tar-1236108202/

This article isn't anything particularly new, but I just found it funny that people who are working for some of the biggest websites that cover everything in the entertainment industry are pointing out the hypocrisy in people who say that they love cinema, but never show up to the movie theater to see the films they claim are cinema.

Even if they would probably be stating what we all know is obvious, I would genuinely love to see more of these types of articles. 

Back in the ’90s, when the blockbuster age was in full swing, with the independent film revolution happening right alongside it, I knew who I was rooting for on a weekly basis. I’ll confess that I sometimes thought of popcorn-movie audiences as the “bad guys,” and the audiences for adventurous indie and foreign films as the “good guys.” The bad guys kept the engine of escapism whirring. But the good guys helped to sustain cinema as an art form. That may sound snobby or unfair, but it’s how I thought of it.

What I would never have expected to see is that formulation turned on its head. To me, the audiences that made hits this summer out of “Inside Out 2” and “Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes” are now the good guys. They’re the ones who are keeping cinema, or at least some version of it, alive. But what about the good guys of the ’90s — the adventurous moviegoers whose enthusiasm sparked the rise of indie film? Have they all gone away? No, but sorry, they’ve become the bad guys. Because they’re the ones who are staying home.

We know why. The rise of streaming…the hangover of the pandemic…oversize TV screens…the 25 minutes of trailers you have to endure in theaters…yada yada yada. The trouble with this familiar litany of a changed culture is that we tend to accept it as The Truth, when the reality may be more pliable. The real truth is that millions and millions of people, many of them with big TVs, still go out to the movies. The question is: Why aren’t more of the people who say they love cinema among them?

With all due respect to the writer, I agree with him but at same time it’s such a Quixotic aspiration. What they saw as the bad guys and what they see as the good guys now are still very much the same. What changed wasn’t the audiences, it was the competition for the audiences time. 

And it’s not getting better, it’s getting worse. If anything, I do agree that blockbusters and those who attend them are the ones keeping cinema as we know it alive. I don’t want and I don’t need streaming to take over, I don’t want movie theaters to go the way of live theatre. We don’t need cinema as a high bro experience, we need it to be popular. I strongly believe that the whole argument about what is true cinema only hurts cinema as a populist experience and that’s why I feel so strongly against the sentiment. If I didn’t give a fuck about cinema, I would certainly get the MCU and my Star Wars and DCU via streaming, thats not going away as long as I’m alive. I just hope that we get movie theaters as a popular experience for a long, long time.

Long live the good guys.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

With all due respect to the writer, I agree with him but at same time it’s such a Quixotic aspiration. What they saw as the bad guys and what they see as the good guys now are still very much the same. What changed wasn’t the audiences, it was the competition for the audiences time. 

And it’s not getting better, it’s getting worse. If anything, I do agree that blockbusters and those who attend them are the ones keeping cinema as we know it alive. I don’t want and I don’t need streaming to take over, I don’t want movie theaters to go the way of live theatre. We don’t need cinema as a high bro experience, we need it to be popular. I strongly believe that the whole argument about what is true cinema only hurts cinema as a populist experience and that’s why I feel so strongly against the sentiment. If I didn’t give a fuck about cinema, I would certainly get the MCU and my Star Wars and DCU via streaming, thats not going away as long as I’m alive. I just hope that we get movie theaters as a popular experience for a long, long time.

Long live the good guys.

I really feel like this is a hard truth. Cinema needs to be popular. It just has to be or what’s the point? High quality high brow cinema is great but let’s be real, it’s not super popular like Marvel and such. If movie theaters aren’t a popular form of watching movies it becomes a niche. 

• Thanks 1

I've never cared for Owen Gleiberman as a writer; never has anything interesting to say, just throws a lot of words out to make it seem like he actually has a point. Scott Mendelson is the same way. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Is that below Alien Covenant adjusted?

strong chance. This is a case where a franchise has a ceiling and the main fanbase is getting older 

Edited by John Marston

24 minutes ago, Eric Ripley said:

It may not be $50M, but I'll still take what is a solid opening for this movie. Glad to see it won't fall below $40M.

Better reception amongst critics and general audiences (the B+ Cinemascore is genuinely encouraging) should give this a better IM than Alien: Covenant and carry it (though barely) pass the $100M domestically finish line. Never mind the fantastic numbers this is doing internationally. 

I think it's safe to say that Disney might have (after Fox tried for decades) turned Alien into a theatrically viable horror franchise.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I've never cared for Owen Gleiberman as a writer; never has anything interesting to say, just throws a lot of words out to make it seem like he actually has a point. Scott Mendelson is the same way. 

Hot take, I actually still do listen to and read a lot of Scott Mendelson's box office posts. 

As much as I disagree with him on a lot of things (particularly his takes on certain films), he's definitely one of the reasons why I am as knowledgeable on the box office as I am. He throws out a lot of stuff, but I'm strangely able to make sense of it and it appeals to me in a way that it probably wouldn't to the average person. 

It's probably just me, but I do have a lot of respect for the guy even if I don't agree with everything he says. 

Mendelson basically does the week-to-week pundit thing with a little more professionalism. I suppose he natters less now that he's no longer working for ad-supported Forbes, but there's no real independent insight he provides that I can't figure out myself.