AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

It's honestly kind of amazing that out of all the legacy sequels that we've been getting recently, The Nightmare Before Christmas hasn't gotten one. The only one that's more shocking is E.T. not getting one. Though if Spielberg wasn't such a force in the industry (he probably calls Universal every day to make sure they don't get any funny ideas), you know Universal would've greenlight an E.T. sequel as fast as possible. 

Though I am 100% thankful that these two movies (that don't need sequels whatsoever) haven't gotten one yet. Let's hope it stays that way for the rest of eternity. 

1 minute ago, Ryan C said:

It's honestly kind of amazing that out of all the legacy sequels that we've been getting recently, The Nightmare Before Christmas hasn't gotten one. The only one that's more shocking is E.T. not getting one. Though if Spielberg wasn't such a force in the industry (he probably calls Universal every day to make sure they don't get any funny ideas), you know Universal would've greenlight an E.T. sequel as fast as possible. 

Though I am 100% thankful that these two movies (that don't need sequels whatsoever) haven't gotten one yet. Let's hope it stays that way for the rest of eternity. 

It’s Hollywood. Eventually it’ll get a sequel or reboot.

2 minutes ago, Eric Deetz said:

Actually, last I checked, Henry Selick stated that he wants to do a sequel, but Burton's the one who is against it, and has basically vetoed any chance for that to ever happen. Though granted I think the big difference is that Henry probably wants that nostalgia money and Tim's too rich for that crap.

Crap. I see the article now.

I can imagine Disney showing interest again and presenting blank checks if Laika's newfound popularity ends up extending beyond the Coraline rerelease

30 minutes ago, AniNate said:

In the sense of having huge $300mil+ blockbusters every few weeks, no it probably won't be. But this should be one of the stronger September-November stretches in recent memory. Got a bunch more high profile tentpoles to come, and the two animated movies releasing later in the month both have potential to reach modestly large audiences through October and November since there is nothing to stop them until Wicked.

I don't think we even need to qualify that with being recent memory.

BOM defines the fall as the day after Labor Day until the eve of first Friday in November. 2018 and 2019 have a basic tie for the record of $1.4B.

I think this fall can be competitive with that, or maybe even catch it. This September has a shot at the record or at least close to it. October is pretty loaded.

Just getting to $1.25B (which seems like a safe bet) during this stretch will make it the fourth highest grossing fall season.

Among my generation, Elf and Home Alone both seem like very easy legacy sequels to make that would be a license to print 300m domestic between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Yes I know Home Alone has fake VHS sequels but I mean with Macauley and Kieran and hopefully not Donald Trump. Again, I hope none of these things happen and we continue to invest money in original movies and create new memories and franchises, but I'm genuinely mind blown we haven't gotten an Elf sequel yet. Original is thermonuclear levels of iconic among people my age and a few years younger, and it seems like a very easy sequel to get people on board for except apparently the director and star.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Crap. I see the article now.

I can imagine Disney showing interest again and presenting blank checks if Laika's newfound popularity ends up extending beyond the Coraline rerelease

I'll believe it's a rise in Laika's popularity when they successfully release the excellent Kubo & The Two Strings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Among my generation, Elf and Home Alone both seem like very easy legacy sequels to make that would be a license to print 300m domestic between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Yes I know Home Alone has fake VHS sequels but I mean with Macauley and Kieran and hopefully not Donald Trump. Again, I hope none of these things happen and we continue to invest money in original movies and create new memories and franchises, but I'm genuinely mind blown we haven't gotten an Elf sequel yet. Original is thermonuclear levels of iconic among people my age and a few years younger, and it seems like a very easy sequel to get people on board for except apparently the director and star.

truly believe an elf sequel with a solid screenplay and a RT score above 70% is making 500 million. She and Him Elf Soundtrack for icing on the cake.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Pretty sure it's because Ferrell has stated over the years he's not interested in making a sequel, nor will they make one without him.

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

2002's September-November adjusts to about $3.5 billion. That would overtake 2023's total by itself if we could manage that.

For that to happen September, October and November would need to be one of the highest grossing months of all time. It’s kind of crazy we need record months to even catch up to 2023. January, February, April and May really were terrible 

3 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

For that to happen September, October and November would need to be one of the highest grossing months of all time. It’s kind of crazy we need record months to even catch up to 2023. January, February, April and May really were terrible 

Studios have no one to blame but themselves for letting the strikes go on so long. 

If we're talking about female breakouts in the over 25 generation......at least among my friend groups, I am now firmly in the camp of Wicked 2 being a big hit. I had been going back and forth, but the hype is just too real. Unless it absolutely stinks. Moana 2 seems like an obvious megahit. Gladiator 2 all depends on quality, but if it's good, I think it gets carried to hit status based on counterprogramming and nostalgia. Long story short, November could be records.

October will be a bit lower than expectations because it seems like the fans will rebel at Joker 2's actual material (an incel hating musical), and December is lacking depth like last year even if the top two hits look possibly huge, so I still think we fall a little short of 2023.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Apparently both Will Ferrell and Jon Favreau did not get along with one another, which is why a sequel never got made. That's a little surprising. You can say what you will about Favreau's movies or whatever, but he seems like a cool, chill dude. I'm assuming Ferrell's a cool, chill dude, since I never heard anything bad about him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

August made things a little easier. Could've been a real deep hole but Ends with Us and Alien minimized the doldrums and kept this year at a deficit of "just" a billion. That's been the real turning point I feel. Even if we don't hit $3.5 billion, still got December to reach it. 

Edited by AniNate

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I'll believe it's a rise in Laika's popularity when they successfully release the excellent Kubo & The Two Strings.

From your lips to Fathoms ears please. I really want a proper re-release of this, it didn't get the love it deserved theatrically when released. 

Is Et even known Internationally in my country i have Heard about back to future , Ghostbusters , Indiana Jones and Terminator but not ET ? I know in North America it is massive it broke many records there 

Beetlejuice 2 has been the number one obviously fake movie poster middle aged folks share on facebook and are like "When's this coming out???" for over a decade now not surprised it's doing numbers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

Beetlejuice 2 has been the number one obviously fake movie poster middle aged folks share on facebook and are like "When's this coming out???" for over a decade now not surprised it's doing numbers.

Still waiting for Samuel L Jackson to star in that live action version of The Boondocks I see shared weekly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1