AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

27 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Among my generation, Elf and Home Alone both seem like very easy legacy sequels to make that would be a license to print 300m domestic between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Yes I know Home Alone has fake VHS sequels but I mean with Macauley and Kieran and hopefully not Donald Trump. Again, I hope none of these things happen and we continue to invest money in original movies and create new memories and franchises, but I'm genuinely mind blown we haven't gotten an Elf sequel yet. Original is thermonuclear levels of iconic among people my age and a few years younger, and it seems like a very easy sequel to get people on board for except apparently the director and star.

+1. Home Alone 3 with all 4 OGs Culkin, Pesci, Stern, and Ohara would make stupid amounts of money. 

Wicked is a tricky case for me to judge hype, I know my friends who are former theater kids are mostly excited but of course they are. None of the ladies my age in the family has it on the radar yet but we're still months away. I'll see when we get closer.I think it'll do really good for itself, it having a bit of time for itself to build hype without Moana out at the same time will help, if it's well received it'll stick around alongside Moana as the other option.

November I agree could be a huge month if all 3 movies perform to their best.  It's September and there's already plans on how we're going to manage Moana with all the new children who are very excited, so I know that one is gonna be really big. I do think even though Gladiator is completely screwed with that rumoured budget, I still think itll make a lot of money and play well as counter programming.

Also Red One is... there...my dad wants to see it. Idk if that speaks to its propsects but maybe it'll do alright and help out. 

Edited by wattage

37 minutes ago, Eric Deetz said:

Well picture this...how about...we remake it...in live-action...but Jack...is...well...I think you know who I want to be cast.

After seeing his pretty crap singing in Wonka, I'd only sign on if Elfman does the singing and he's just synced up mouthing it. I'd sign on for Sarandon doing to speaking and him syncing that up too. Doesn't have the voice for it. He'd fit a Corpse Bride live action though. He's more a Victor than a Jack.

I do feel like a Home Alone legacy sequel with O'Hara and Culkin is an idea too good to pass up. They've got all the ingredients. Easy gig for a Shawn Levy type.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Strong weekend sales across the board

100M is likely locke, huge success. Now let’s hope is not a huge disappointment OS, that deadline projection was bad but hard to trust them.

I'm honestly hoping that there's no discourse surrounding whether Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is a hit or not because it didn't do well overseas. 

Unlike Twisters, the budget for Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is lower, is set to make about $300M domestically, and at least another $100M from overseas markets (if not a bit more). 

$450M worldwide on a $100M budget is a great success for Beetlejuice Beetlejuice and should not be labeled as a flop.

Elf 2 should be done ala the way Legally Blonde 3 should be done - as an epic dose of early 2000s nostalgia. Everybody misses the precious time we had with cell phones but no social media so we had the perfect balance of contact and privacy 🥰

1 minute ago, Ryan C said:

I'm honestly hoping that there's no discourse surrounding whether Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is a hit or not because it didn't do well overseas. 

Unlike Twisters, the budget for Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is lower, is set to make about $300M domestically, and at least another $100M from overseas markets (if not a bit more). 

$450M worldwide on a $100M budget is a great success for Beetlejuice Beetlejuice and should not be labeled as a flop.

I’ve been thinking about the OS gross and I think 150-200m is where it’ll land. Possible 500m WW gross if it lands OS

Back to the Future sequel would be huge since it seems that series has crossed over to the following generations and is still referenced and talked about constantly. But it will never happen. Same with ET 2 (which I’m not sure has crossed over to the following generation)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Back to the Future sequel would be huge since it seems that series has crossed over to the following generations and is still referenced and talked about constantly. But it will never happen. Same with ET 2 (which I’m not sure has crossed over to the following generation)

Back to the Future 4 sounds even worse. I mean all of these sequel ideas are terrible, but Michael J. Fox deserves his peace and quiet instead of being given some thankless "passing the torch" role.

How would a Home Alone legacy sequel even work? Kevin McCallister teaches his child how to elaborately take out burglars in the event of a break-in, criminals do such while Kevin's not around, hijinks happen, and then when it appears the kid is suddenly danger, he shows up in the climax to help him knock out the baddies? Good luck explaining all of that to the authorities when they show up without sounding insane lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

I’ve been thinking about the OS gross and I think 150-200m is where it’ll land. Possible 500m WW gross if it lands OS

I was thinking a few days ago $600M worldwide, but that's pretty much all dependent on legs both domestically and internationally these next couple of weeks. 

With those good PostTrak scores though, it seems like this is set for a pretty healthy run until the very end of October. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

How would a Home Alone legacy sequel even work? Kevin McCallister teaches his child how to elaborately take out burglars in the event of a break-in, criminals do such while Kevin's not around, hijinks happen, and then when it appears the kid is suddenly danger, he shows up in the climax to help him knock out the baddies? Good luck explaining all of that to the authorities when they show up without sounding insane lol.

My thought was O'Hara left home alone, and she takes out baddies Thelma style.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, AniNate said:

My thought was O'Hara left home alone, and she takes out baddies Thelma style.

I'd be on board with that movie too! Though that movie in my mind wouldn't be nearly as innocuous as a Home Alone revival would probably strive to be heh.