AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

1 minute ago, Eric Deetz said:

Well I hope you aren't paying attention to what is releasing on December 20, 2024. Or just...any time in the last ten years lmao

I wonder what will be the nostalgia franchises resurrected when the generational nostalgia hits the 2010s decade in 20 years time. Will be weird because not a lot of fresh franchises actually were made in movies in the 2010s

Well I hope you aren't paying attention to what is releasing on December 20, 2024. Or just...any time in the last ten years lmao

Im wondering if you are talking about Sonic or Mufasa 

It says a lot that I'm not sure if you're referring specifically to the prequel to 90s nostalgia object The Lion King or another movie for 90s video game mascot Sonic the Hedgehog or both (probably both).

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I wonder what will be the nostalgia franchises resurrected when the generational nostalgia hits the 2010s decade in 20 years time. Will be weird because not a lot of fresh franchises actually were made in movies in the 2010s

Live-action Despicable Me and I hope we're all prepared for the nightmare fuel the live-action Minions will provide.

• Astonished 1

Live action animated movies are really the only option for the 2010s, Frozen, Despicable Me, etc. What were the big franchises created live action - Conjuring, Wick, and Quiet Place? Zero 200m domestic grossers between them. At least the 2020s have given us Barbie and Dune.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The MCU is about to reboot after Secret Wars. Honestly expecting an Iron Man remake in 2030s.

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Live action animated movies are really the only option for the 2010s, Frozen, Despicable Me, etc. What were the big franchises created live action - Conjuring, Wick, and Quiet Place? Zero 200m domestic grossers between them. At least the 2020s have given us Barbie and Dune.

Honestly can see them doing legacy sequels to the legacy sequels. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anyways we have seen so many nostalgia Projects failing. 

As someone already noticed this worked for particular reasons.

Jenna Ortega being loved by young girls (see the 68% of female Kids against 32% of male Kids) a target shouldn't be interested to this movie. More than Jenna Ortega It's wednesday on a similar movie- context. 

Wednesday made Tim Burton fantasy comedies cool and very mainstream again (someone said like stranger things pushed IT and in that case not casually there was an actor of the series in the movie too).

Plus finally a big Tim Burton fantasy blockbuster again with Winona and not Johnny Depp 

Edited by vale9001

In light of the accomplishment of Beetlejuice Beetlejuice going to exceed the total gross of the first film in just the opening weekend, does anyone have a list of other cases where this occured?

Only examples I can think of is Austin Powers, with International Man of Mystery being beat by The Spy Who Shagged Me.

The other, surprisingly enough, is Blade Runner 2049 OW beating the original gross by $100K.

Outside of some ones where the original was from before we had reliable box office reporting or where it's hard to truly call it a sequel (The Hustler, Fantasia, Mary Poppins), I can't think of other examples.

23 minutes ago, grim22 said:

They're just gonna keep on making new Star Wars, Jurassic Parks, Toy Stories, Harry Potters, and so on from now until the end of time. Kids do in fact watch these reboots like the adults do, and there are probably teens and young adults that are starting to feel nostalgic for the reboots they saw 10 years ago.

9 minutes ago, vafrow said:

In light of the accomplishment of Beetlejuice Beetlejuice going to exceed the total gross of the first film in just the opening weekend, does anyone have a list of other cases where this occured?

Only examples I can think of is Austin Powers, with International Man of Mystery being beat by The Spy Who Shagged Me.

Not the second chapter but Furious 7 first weekend (147M) Is bigger than the first 3 movies all domestic total .

Edited by vale9001

The other, surprisingly enough, is Blade Runner 2049 OW beating the original gross by $100K.

Outside of some ones where the original was from before we had reliable box office reporting or where it's hard to truly call it a sequel (The Hustler, Fantasia, Mary Poppins), I can't think of other examples.

Pitch Perfect made $65 million total and the sequel made $69 million opening weekend ($185 million total).

• Like 1

Pitch Perfect 2. Got an extra 4 million more its opening weekend than the first film's original gross. Now that's a movie that really caught on like crazy after its theatrical release. I was 14 years old when the first movie came out, and I was in both the school choir and the school a cappella group, so my demographic and I were kind of ahead of the curve before everybody else.

• Like 3

Also captain america : civil war. 

We know It was actually kinda of an Avengers spin off but still formally is a sequel of the CA saga and made 179M first weekend against First movie 176M domestic total. 

Edited by vale9001

24 minutes ago, YM! said:

Honestly can see them doing legacy sequels to the legacy sequels. 

Said my point better than I ever could lol. And yeah. I can already see it now.

The year is 2065. There's only 1,000 theaters left in America. Half of the country is now underwater, in part because of President Elon Musk's failed policies 20 years earlier. That summer, Jurassic Galaxy: The Squeakquel and Fast and Furious 35, starring deepfake AI versions of Chris Pratt and Vin Diesel respectively, are duking it out at the box office. Whoever wins, we lose.

Terminator 2 would have done it if it had opened on Friday instead of Wednesday, the opening five day outgrossed the first's entire domestic run.

Unlike the other examples like Austin Powers, Beetlejuice, and Pitch Perfect, Terminator 2 totally changed the style. Crazy how it went from a hard sci-fi cult classic to the epitome of a summer blockbuster. Both perfect movies btw.