AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

If $38M is what they were projecting at about 4:00PM, then they are going to be in for a big surprise once the night is over. 

It makes sense why the film isn't selling that much before 5:00, but (at least near me) a lot of these showings between 5 and 10:00 are legitmately packed and selling out plenty of seats. Heck, I'm seeing the movie again tonight at 10 and my screening is looking like it'll be pretty close to sold out by the time it starts. That Friday number is gonna go up. 

Also, as much as I don't wanna give Empire the credit, there is no way he just pulled that estimate of $48M by accident. I know he tends to overshoot things, but even for this guy, there's no way you would put a number like that down unless you were 100% sure that it could happen or at least get relatively close to it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

If $38M is what they were projecting at about 4:00PM, then they are going to be in for a big surprise once the night is over. 

It makes sense why the film isn't selling that much before 5:00, but (at least near me) a lot of these showings between 5 and 10:00 are legitmately packed and selling out plenty of seats. Heck, I'm seeing the movie again tonight at 10 and my screening is looking like it'll be pretty close to sold out by the time it starts. That Friday number is gonna go up. 

Also, as much as I don't wanna give Empire the credit, there is no way he just pulled that estimate of $48M by accident. I know he tends to overshoot things, but even for this guy, there's no way you would put a number like that down unless you were 100% sure that it could happen or at least get relatively close to it.

Who's Empire?

Just now, MovieTime said:

Who's Empire?

I guess I should've said Empire City. 

Let's just say that he is a box office fanatic that we sometimes like but mostly don't like to talk about. 

Given that almost all people here have said that tracking has slowed down, and the movie seems to be playing like a female version of Dune, 90-95 seems reasonable. A fantastic result in any case that should be applauded even if some late estimates on this forum went higher than that 

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

How would a Home Alone legacy sequel even work? Kevin McCallister teaches his child how to elaborately take out burglars in the event of a break-in, criminals do such while Kevin's not around, hijinks happen, and then when it appears the kid is suddenly danger, he shows up in the climax to help him knock out the baddies? Good luck explaining all of that to the authorities when they show up without sounding insane lol.

Ohara and Kevin's 8 year old son team up 

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I thought Empire was way optimistic. Deadline will be close on this for sure. 

I highly doubt it. Deadline is way too pessimistic. There isn’t a middle ground yet. Guess we need to wait for Charlie’s numbers to see if either of them are right or wrong. 

17 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

I highly doubt it. Deadline is way too pessimistic. There isn’t a middle ground yet. Guess we need to wait for Charlie’s numbers to see if either of them are right or wrong. 

I am not playing a guessing game here. 35m looked impossible from MTC data I saw. I think that was a typo from Volde. He is not this far off normally.

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am not playing a guessing game here. 35m looked impossible from MTC data I saw. I think that was a typo from Volde. He is not this far off normally.

It wasn't a typo. He said in his post that the film would take the crown for the biggest opening in September. He has to know that there's no way the film would get there with a $38M Friday.

I'm not saying you're wrong where this movie is heading, but clearly he's seeing something we're not if he's putting out a number that high. 

13 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Potentially a typo but he also said taking aim at the September record which I can't imagine him saying if he actually meant to type 38, no?