AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Yup. 

we had a rock solid 12 for many years (ironically introduced for 1989’s Batman). 

Parents couldn’t take their kids to see a 12 if they were under that age. Unlike the US system where you guys can take a kid to see anything from G to R. 

I remember Mrs Doubtfire getting a 12 in 1993 and then getting a limited run of an edited PG version released a couple of months later so kids could see it. Lmao. 

Then the studios put pressure on the BBFC (our version of the MPAA) and eventually they changed the 12 to 12A.  Which is basically a PG -13.  That didn’t happen until the early 00’s if I remember correctly. 

You still can’t see a 15 or 18 with an adult if you’re under that age.  Which I’m kind of in agreement with if I’m honest. 

That Americans can take their little kids to see Deadpool is just wild to us. 

I’m pretty sure the 12A was introduced for Spider-Man in 2002.

45 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I will always have a soft spot for Alien:Resurrection for her being in it.

I watched that last week again for the first time in decades, I thought it was good silly fun. Much preferred it over Alien3, which was abysmal. 

• Like 1

I acknowledge some parents are stupid but I still prefer they be able to make the decision whether or not to take their kids over a government authority. I don't trust them to always work in the best interest of artistic integrity. Worst case scenario, kids are momentarily traumatized but they have a funny story to tell later in life. 

Edited by AniNate

8 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I acknowledge some parents are stupid but I still prefer they be able to make the decision whether or not to take their kids over a government authority. I don't trust them to always work in the best interest of artistic integrity. Worst case scenario, kids are momentarily traumatized but they have a funny story to tell later in life. 

I see your point but do you think parents should be allowed to take their kids to a strip club?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I see your point but do you think parents should be allowed to take their kids to a strip club?

That's an entirely different situation where there is no grey area about the service being offered.

5 hours ago, AniNate said:

However, "allowing parents to decide" really goes against the reason for a rating system to exist.

If it's really inappropiate for kids to go to see R movie, it would be inappropiate even if their parents want to brought their kids.

Edited by Kon
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

If it's really inappropiate for kids to go to see a R movie, it would inappropiate for them even if their parents want to brought their kids.

Whether movies are rated appropriately or not is a whole other discussion and you won't have any argument from me that the MPA definitely has issues there, but as things stand not every R is equal. Something like Stand by Me or breakfast club isn't the same as Hostel or Poor Things, and since the MPA has such arbitrary standards I would in fact prefer to leave it to the discretion of patients to decide.

As someone who watched "Beetlejuice" on VHS in the 80's and 90's what felt like hundreds of times and watched the animated series.  I'm complete flabbergasted by these numbers.  There is no way this opening is THIS Big.  WOW.   Yes "Deadpool & Wolvie" and "IO2" had a bigger opening but this sequel hitting these numbers is like a "Top Gun" situation with how long the previous film came out.   Congrats to everyone but to see a "Beetlejuice" sequel completely crush the competition in September of all places is a wonderful surprise of the year.  

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

On 9/6/2024 at 10:51 PM, HummingLemon496 said:

What will be the next $200M+ opener? Only two movies since Endgame have done it

Avengers: Doomsday probably, maybe The Super Mario Bros. Movie 2 on its best day

Minecraft could've done it but then they had to go and release a Borderlands/Ugly Sonic tier trailer

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Relevation said:

Avengers: Doomsday probably, maybe The Super Mario Bros. Movie 2 on its best day

Minecraft could've done it but then they had to go and release a Borderlands/Ugly Sonic tier trailer

You know you're in some good shit when you get quoted by Relevation untagged

I'm honored

Edited by HummingLemon496

14 hours ago, AniNate said:

Whether movies are rated appropriately or not is a whole other discussion and you won't have any argument from me that the MPA definitely has issues there, but as things stand not every R is equal. Something like Stand by Me or breakfast club isn't the same as Hostel or Poor Things, and since the MPA has such arbitrary standards I would in fact prefer to leave it to the discretion of patients to decide.

Parents don't always have the time to thoroughly look into a film, not to mention sometimes that information isn't really available to them anyways? It's not like every film puts every potentially unfit piece of content in the promotional material.

That's why ratings are generally decided by people who have, well, actually seen the film lol

That's the intent of the content descriptions with the rating. I don't see what's wrong with allowing individual families some independent thought on the matter. I feel like if our systems were reversed other countries would still be dunking on us for being too prudish. Don't really want to make this political, but given the state of culture wars today I am very glad movies largely manage to avoid the whole "book banning" kind of controversy.

Ideally parents would watch the whole thing without their kids first and then decide. I know that doesn't always happen, but they should be able to have that option at least.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1