AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

2 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

Hell to the Yes! Deadline didn't win on this one!

I was planning to wait till tomorrow to see the updated numbers, but thanks to searching "box office news" on google and somehow coming across Charlie's tweet, I saw this amazing update. $100M is now for sure gonna happen and even $110M looks possible now. 

I was expecting around $35M-$36M for Saturday, but this is complete evidence that a lot of families were waiting until Saturday and Sunday to check this one out. Not to brag, but I was 100% correct in predicting this movie would bring a lot of families in. It also explains why Thursday and Friday weren't as strong. Kids were still in school and probably couldn't see the film until the weekend, which explains the huge jump. Whatever the case was though, this is great news for the movie, Warner Bros, and the box office as a whole.

Now let's just try to see if anyone will call this number disappointing because it didn't massively outperform tracking or because it didn't beat 2017's IT for the September record. 

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

Okay nah if it’s doing this well with families, this movie is gonna really fuckin kill Transformers and Wild Robot when they come out

Or maybe people just want to go to the movies now. 

People always try to spin this narrative with competition and it really doesn't work like that. If those movies have good buzz audiences will turn out for those too.

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Or maybe people just want to go to the movies now. 

People always try to spin this narrative with competition and it really doesn't work like that. If those movies have good buzz audiences will turn out for those too.

Yeah, but sometimes competition can legitmately hurt a movie that has fantastic buzz/word-of-mouth surrounding it. 

War for the Planet of the Apes comes in mind. It had an ok opening weekend but dropped hard in weekend two because Dunkirk came in and took away all of the IMAX/PLF screens away from it. Despite the amazing reception it got, it wasn't enough to even get past $150M domestically. 

Heck, you could even say the same thing about Twisters. Though liked by audiences and clearly a domestic hit, it would've definitely cleared $300M domestically had Deadpool and Wolverine not taken all the PLFs away. 

So, competition is important to bring up and I think is sometimes even a factor onto why some movies don't make as much as they should've. Though I think the person you're replying to is wrong when they say that Beetlejuice will destroy Transformers One and The Wild Robot because it's a big family play. It should really be the other way around, because those are gonna take the PLFs away from Beetlejuice. 

Random spitball, but a legit Jim Carrey (+ Cameron Diaz) fronted sequel to The Mask would make good bank. Not Beetlejuice Beetlejuice levels, but damn near career highs for Carrey. If it were truly edgy and irreverent, like the original, not the weaksauce that was Son Of The Mask. Deadpool and Beetlejuice have shown that audiences still gravitate towards irreverence, and The Mask is right up there. It's considered one of Jim's cornerstone original hits, and just like Happy Gilmore 2 is on the way with Sandler, I think Carrey should tap back into The Mask before he retires again.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

This  has to be among the craziest saturday increase for a PG13 movie in its OW. it increased > 41% at just MTC1 compared to yesterday and MTC1 ratio goes down on a saturday. Could go higher than Charlie's number. 

Really? I mean, this is pretty crazy, but I thought the Saturday increase for Twisters was more crazy. 

That film had a 28% increase over its Friday and in the heat of summer. With Beetejuice, it's surprising but also not because it's September and more people usually have the chance to see a movie on Saturday than either Thursday or Friday. 

With Twisters, that amazing increase was a clear sign that it was over-indexing in a lot of markets. 

Edited by Ryan C

6 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

So, competition is important to bring up and I think is sometimes even a factor onto why some movies don't make as much as they should've. Though I think the person you're replying to is wrong when they say that Beetlejuice will destroy Transformers One and The Wild Robot because it's a big family play. It should really be the other way around, because those are gonna take the PLFs away from Beetlejuice. 

TFOne (and subsequently Wild Robot) did move a week back because they decided Beetlejuice might be competition, that was probably a wise decision. But all three of the movies still have distinct tones which should help them find niches through October and November. Beetlejuice I'm sure ought to still be playing well through Halloween especially since the holiday plays a major thematic role in the movie itself.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wattage said:

That would have to be something Disney decided to do, if they even care. I don't know if they do tbh, and at that point it would be in re-release territory so I think that would be more work on their part 

They tried getting Ant Man 3 over 2 with GOTG3 double features. It didn't work then but IO2 is closer to JW so it might work here.

5 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Really? I mean, this is pretty crazy, but I thought the Saturday increase for Twisters was more crazy. 

That film had a 28% increase over its Friday and in the heat of summer. With Beetejuice, it's surprising but also not because it's September and more people usually have the chance to see a movie on Saturday than either Thursday or Friday. 

With Twisters, that amazing increase was a clear sign that it was over-indexing in a lot of markets. 

That was good as well. I did not consider it as it was not a 100m opener. So may be let me requalify this as biggest increase for a 100m plus opener 🙂

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

Okay nah if it’s doing this well with families, this movie is gonna really fuckin kill Transformers and Wild Robot when they come out

I doubt it, PG-13 live action vs PG animations