BoxOfficeFangrl

Weekday Thread | October 7-10

Feel like TWR is in pretty good shape to hit $130mil at least. Despite the PLF loss and Cloudy second weekend hold it's still pacing about 6% ahead, and no other externalities to seriously hurt it now for awhile. The HT comparison is less favorable but it had already had its Indigenous People Day bump, which WIld Robot should get next week.

13 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Feel like TWR is in pretty good shape to hit $130mil at least. Despite the PLF loss and Cloudy second weekend hold it's still pacing about 6% ahead, and no other externalities to seriously hurt it now for awhile. The HT comparison is less favorable but it had already had its Indigenous People Day bump, which WIld Robot should get next week.

Idk if it was noted already but it's getting some PLF back this weekend so that might help boost it by a couple mill so that's good. But its also going to obscure how it's doing weekend to weekend again. We won't have a normal no PLF to no PLF weekend drop for a while. It is what it is. 

Hey, whatever helps its box office take. It also has the relative luxury of no new mainstream kids competition. Cloudy had to contend with the OW of Where the Wild Things Are and then the Zemeckis A Christmas Carol, while Hotel had Wreck-It Ralph at the beginning of November (and the general loss of seasonableness post-Halloween too I guess). A long runway for this movie, think the potential to go much higher is still there.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Also most of the major chains  are closed in South and Central florida today and tomorrow. I think North Florida some locations are open. One specific theater chain is still open down south and that's just...evil honestly. But they're closed in central. 

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Hey, whatever helps its box office take. It also has the relative luxury of no new mainstream kids competition. Cloudy had to contend with the OW of Where the Wild Things Are and then the Zemeckis A Christmas Carol, while Hotel had Wreck-It Ralph at the beginning of November (and the general loss of seasonableness post-Halloween too I guess). A long runway for this movie, think the potential to go much higher is still there.

I agree on its potential being higher just because it's gonna be hanging around for a lot longer than the other comps did. Gonna be an interesting run. 

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Assuming the entire state of Florida is closed that would be about a 6% impact on the box office the next few days.

Yeah around there, a bit lower due to some of the areas outside the main path remaining in operation. But it'll definitely be noticable. Hoping for everyone's safety on the west coast of the state especially. 

All the theaters in the southeast region appear to be closing up early today and won't be reopening until around the evening tomorrow. I suspect the overall impact to the grosses shouldn't be that severe since the lost business could get pushed to the weekend.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

All the theaters in the southeast region appear to be closing up early today and won't be reopening until around the evening tomorrow. I suspect the overall impact to the grosses shouldn't be that severe since the lost business could get pushed to the weekend.

Even Cinemark? The closed locations usually have it listed on the app or cut off the showtimes but the ones by me still have times up all through the day today and tomorrow. Very weird. 

Edited by wattage

3 minutes ago, wattage said:

Even Cinemark? The closed locations usually have it listed on the app or cut off the showtimes but the ones by me still have times up all through the day today and tomorrow. Very weird. 

All the major chains (AMC, Cinemark, Regal, even the independent theaters) have their listings ending at around 7:30 even on Fandango as far as I can tell. I imagine they're in the process of updating due to the flexibility of it all (there is probably an error shown if you try to buy tickets for one of the now cancelled showtimes).

Yeah I don't think hurricanes really impact box office in the sense of irreversibly depressing final grosses. Even when Katrina hit, the 2005 late summer season still outgrossed the prior year fairly handily.

They're destructive, horrific events that get a lot of media coverage, but it's also a pretty big continent and people are just as much inclined to go to the movies to escape from a depressing, prolonged news story. Maybe even moreso exhausted people who spent a day evacuating and want to go see a movie in a safer place afterwards just to take the edge off.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

All the major chains (AMC, Cinemark, Regal, even the independent theaters) have their listings ending at around 7:30 even on Fandango as far as I can tell. I imagine they're in the process of updating due to the flexibility of it all (there is probably an error shown if you try to buy tickets for one of the now cancelled showtimes).

They might just be in the process of updating then for Cinemark like you said, browsing showtimes stuff is only sold up to 6pm so closing at 7 tracks. AMC and Regal are completely closed though not just closing early so Fandango also probably throws an error if you try to buy stuff from them and just has it listed because those were the times already put up.

People try and do anything and everything even when it's a tropical storm warnings since school and normal offices are usually closed but it's "not that bad" or some variation of that lol. Wild Robot and Beetlejuice showings are near sold out up to closing and it's like yeah that painfully unsurprising. 

Edited by wattage

FWIW, northern FL is open for business.  Jacksonville theaters are running as normal.  They closed all Duval public schools here so theater business might actually increase here with kids being out of school and parents having to take off.  Its also a decent day here as well, just a little rain and we arent supposed to get much of anything from the hurricane.   

Edited by JimmyB

11 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

FWIW, northern FL is open for business.  Jacksonville theaters are running as normal.  They closed all Duval public schools here so theater business might actually increase here with kids being out of school and parents having to take off.  Its also a decent day here as well, just a little rain and we arent supposed to get much of anything from the hurricane.   

Weather farther south is mostly the same. A bit windy, a bit of rain, a couple tornados popped up by the glades. Not much else going on. You guys are just on tropical storm warning too?