filmpalace

Weekend Thread | October 11 - 13

9 minutes ago, Darth Homer said:

Needing a phone 24/7 just in case an emergency happens is ridiculous though. In my day kids disappeared for hours with no contact with their parents and most of us survived…

And you probably walked to school 10 miles barefoot in snow uphill both ways too 

The kids that didn't survive aren't here anymore to respond. I do know US infant mortality is way down from the early 90s and I think quicker and easier access to help is a big part of that.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

What do y’all think WB executives believed was the worst case scenario for Joker 2 after the first one made a billion dollars? I bet they figured $400M worldwide as a nightmare scenario, but turns out it will come up way short of that number. Lol

I doubt they were ever expecting this to flop (or at least no before presales) so probably around $500m worldwide

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

I've been hearing the death of original cinema refrain ever since I joined the original Mojo forum. It really speaks more to the personal insecurities and lack of perspective of the people expressing those feelings than of the actual state of the film industry.

What major ORIGINAL studio film are you excited for in the remainder of 2024 and why is it only Red One?

3 minutes ago, crazymoviekid said:

What major ORIGINAL studio film are you excited for in the remainder of 2024 and why is it only Red One?

There's quite a few I'm at least somewhat interested in in 2025, moreso than there have been on average recently. One thing I have to very begrudgingly acknowledge the new WBD regime for.

7 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Why even remotely bother making films like Saturday Night or the Apprentice anymore? If you ain't go PLFs and a brand name there is zero point left. Conclave, Here, Brutalist, Anora all in for massive flops too. Eventually they are going to stop making these films. They capture no zeitgeist, they make no money, and awards don't matter. Frankly, I hope it just happens soon so I can stop giving a shit.

The Brutalist is a 3.5 hour long, wholly original story made by a director on his third ever film on a seven figure budget. Art like that matters because someone wants to tell those stories. No one who actually watches and cares about these "prestigious" films that do rounds at festivals in hopes of being acquired for distribution gives a shit about how much money they make — we're happy they simply exist, because they deserve to. Point blank period.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

On the topic of specialty releases:

- We Live In Time began its limited release, are there numbers for that yet?

- A24 really ought to start marketing The Brutalist and Queer soon. 

They're likely going to give The Brutalist a rollout like The Zone Of Interest — extremely limited and tightly controlled until Oscar nominations morning, so that 1) audience scores and perception stays high by only having people who are inclined to like it seek it out, and 2) so the Oscar nominations give it a bigger boost.

Agreed about Queer. I almost wish they saved it for next year, for a release timed alongside the new Knives Out.

On topic of A24: Very excited for Babygirl. It seems like it's being positioned as their Christmas commercial wide release a la The Iron Claw, and while the movie might be a harder sell, I do hope it does well. Have only heard good things about Kidman in it.

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Saw Saturday Night and The Apprentice to do my part. Saturday Night I didn't really like much at all, nothing about it felt true (either factually or dramatically). Apprentice was actually quite good, Stan and Strong are both terrific in it.

Stan does a really good job of nailing the mannerisms and cadence without looking or sounding like a caricature 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

And you probably walked to school 10 miles barefoot in snow uphill both ways too 

The kids that didn't survive aren't here anymore to respond. I do know US infant mortality is way down from the early 90s and I think quicker and easier access to help is a big part of that.

Would rather die as a baby then live as an Ipad kid.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

On 10/11/2024 at 7:12 PM, Claire of Themyscira said:

I keep hearing Colin Farrell is great in The Penguin. So good people still find him sexy, which is kinda cunty.

Will never forget how good he looked in Total Recall. My bean was definitely flicked! May have leaked once or twice.

Ooh, this was a hit!

JFAD could NEVER. Thanks for the notifications, y'all. ❤️