Impact

2011 Best Actor Predictions

• Founder / Operator

Based on everything I've seen so far, reviews notwithstanding, I still think this could be Leo's year with the right campaign in January. He's in the middle of his prime right, basically where Hanks was in the early/mid 90s and Crowe was a decade ago. He's been nominated several times and is exceedingly popular in the industry.

Oh, and he's in a Clint Eastwood-directed biopic.

Honestly, I'm not sure how many more advantages he could have. It would help if reviews of the film itself were stronger, but Best Actor goes to just that...the actor, not the film.

In the end though, it'll probably come down to the fact that people like Clooney or Dujardin or Pitt have been getting just as mch praise for their performances (if not more so) in movies that are extremely well received. In the end that will help them more than you think.Maybe it's just me, but Leo in a Hoover biopic directed by Eastwood seems too much of an Oscar play that it's actually a little disgusting. The Academy need to send a message that they won't nominate every shitty high-profile biopic that comes round.

Based on everything I've seen so far, reviews notwithstanding, I still think this could be Leo's year with the right campaign in January. He's in the middle of his prime right, basically where Hanks was in the early/mid 90s and Crowe was a decade ago. He's been nominated several times and is exceedingly popular in the industry.

Oh, and he's in a Clint Eastwood-directed biopic.

Honestly, I'm not sure how many more advantages he could have. It would help if reviews of the film itself were stronger, but Best Actor goes to just that...the actor, not the film.

I think with the mixed reviews though, his chances will dwindle. I think he will score some critic circle noms & probably the golden globes, but the reviews now aren't exactly 'GLOWING" over his performance (ala Natalie Portman in Black Swan or Monique in Precious)

Those were movies where people turned out to see the PERFORMANCE, not so much the film. And that doesn't seem to be the case with Leo (at this point). That could change, but for now, I see him hanging outside the top 5

If were were seeing reviews that single out Dicaprio exclusively, I'd say his chances were good, but for now, I just don't see it.

Jean Dujardin - The ArtistGeorge Clooney - The DescendantsBrad Pitt - MoneyballGary Oldman - Tinker Tailor Soldier SpyMichael Fassbender - ShameThe field was already strong, and now with those reviews for J. Edgar, Di Caprio is out of the race. I love the guy as much as everybody, but this now can't be and won't be his year. I'm trying to look at it from the bright side here - now he has the perfect opportunity to win his Oscar for Django Unchained. We all know how much better that would be, and it's just one more year of wait.This year, I think Dujardin wins the Oscar with strong competition from Clooney. Oldman and Pitt are there just because they deserve to be nominated, but that's it; meanwhile Fassbender gets most of the critics' love and support.

Current: Jonah Hill for The SitterNick Swardson for Bucky LarsonAdam Sandler for Jack and JillWhoops! Wrong awards :P ;)Brad Pitt for MoneyballThe main star in The ArtistGary Oldman for Tinker...George Clooney for The DescendentsLeo for J. Edgar (Yeah longshot, but hey Jolie was nominated for The Changling)

Jean Dujardin - The Artist

George Clooney - The Descendants

Brad Pitt - Moneyball

Gary Oldman - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Michael Fassbender - Shame

That's starting to look like the consensus, isn't it? Fassbender/Shame are still a tricky component because AMPAS may just be too prudish to recognize it with any nominations. We'll see.

He might get swapped for Leo.

Edited by rockNrollaDIM

Despite the movie being panned by critics, Leo will still get a nom for this. It was the best male performance I've seen this year. Pitt was good and all, but I think buzz will die by Feb. Pitt's performance is more GG worthy than Oscar worthy. Also, Hammer was really strong in his supporting role. Say what you will about J. Edgar, but those two performances were powerful.