AniNate

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - 6/8/2012

Dude, it's freakin' Madagascar versus a non-Cars Pixar film. Pixar wins out every time.

To be fair, didn't both Cars movies end up winning out their respective years? No reason to make that distinction unless you are referring to something other than DOM gross.

To be fair, didn't both Cars movies end up winning out their respective years? No reason to make that distinction unless you are referring to something other than DOM gross.

That was more in regards to quality, which I assumed (mistakenly, perhaps) was the basis of iEye's "crystal ball" comment.

I still expect Brave to win on both counts, though. Madagascar simply won't be the more appealing option once it comes out.

Edited by tribefan695

Dude, there are a lot of movies coming out this summer and they all will impact each other. You cannot tell me that Brave will not be impacted by some of them. Who knows maybe they will impact Brave more than Brave impacting M3.

Edited by iEye

That was more in regards to quality, which I assumed (mistakenly, perhaps) was the basis of iEye's "crystal ball" comment.I still expect Brave to win on both counts, though. Madagascar simply won't be the more appealing option once it comes out.

Okay =) I was just pointing out.Is this a convo about how high Mad might reach, or how low Brave might? DW typically only scratches up at the 200M mark, where Pixar occasionally only sags down to it. I think Mad would need to over-perform, while Brave under-perform for DW to win the year.But Mad looks like good fun, and the 2nd one was hilarious. I'm glad things sound like they're looking a bit up for it atm

Convo is about Madagascar, but Brave's effect on its legs is an unavoidable topic. Madagascar may open well (I'm not optimistic, it's only tracking at $48 million), but no matter how good it does, interest will deteriorate when Brave's released.And judging from the reviews so far, it sounds like it's no better than the previous Madagascars. It's probably not going to appeal to some new peripheral audience.

You are right that M3 has two weeks to make the bulk of its take but it is also true that Brave has bigger tentpoles (TASM, G.I. Joe 2 and IA4) to contend with every week after it comes out. Can you say with certainty that they will not impact Brave significantly enough to make a difference.BTW, You're not optimistic about M3 because you want Brave to do better so your point of view is biased a bit...Edit: Just to be clear, I didn't come here saying M3 will make more than Brave. All I was trying say is that M2 making less than the original doesn't mean it is less liked but maybe because they came out in different seasons.

Edited by iEye

Edit: Just to be clear, I didn't come here saying M3 will make more than Brave. All I was trying say is that M2 making less than the original doesn't mean it is less liked but maybe because they came out in different seasons.

But it's less likely that it means the franchise is more popular. What does Madagascar 3 really have going for it besides being a Madagascar movie?

Kung Fu Panda 2 was a huge disappointment, and that had a bigger fanbase than Madagascar. So I don't see why people would all of a sudden turn out for this sequel.

Edited by tribefan695

Two animated films aimed at kids can co-exist. KFP and WallE did in 2008. When WallE came out, the first week it did, it caused KFP to drop 57%. After that the next two weeks saw drops of less than 40%. And then when TDK came out, it dropped hard again and then went on to have 4 weeks of around 40% drops.It's a fallacy that only one kid pic can be out at a time.http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=kungfupanda.htm

But it's less likely that it means the franchise is more popular. What does Madagascar 3 really have going for it besides being a Madagascar movie?

Kung Fu Panda 2 was a huge disappointment, and that had a bigger fanbase than Madagascar. So I don't see why people would all of a sudden turn out for this sequel.

KFP2 also came out when the market was not kind to a lot of films, especially kids films.

Two animated films aimed at kids can co-exist. KFP and WallE did in 2008. When WallE came out, the first week it did, it caused KFP to drop 57%. After that the next two weeks saw drops of less than 40%. And then when TDK came out, it dropped hard again and then went on to have 4 weeks of around 40% drops.It's a fallacy that only one kid pic can be out at a time.

I never said that. But Kung Fu Panda had appeal outside its target audience. Both it and Wall-E had adults coming in on their own to see them. It's probably the same reason Toy Story 3 held really well against Despicable Me. I don't see Madagascar having that same kind of adult word-of-mouth.And I don't buy the market being to blame for Panda having such a disappointing performance considering Cars 2 opened to $66 million just a month later. Given the original's opening, KFP2 should have at least opened on par with that movie. Edited by tribefan695

I think we can agree that Mad3 will be more frontloaded. Its OW will probably be higher because of no animation movie for quite some time and it will drop harder because of early competition.When Mad4 will open in the future, people will say look Mad3 it opened higher than Mad2 but had terrible legs, so people must have hated it.

Brave has three weeks until the next kids film comes out. Its legs may be impacted, but I don't think as much as Madagascar's will be.

In 2010, Shrek 4 collapsed against Toy Story 3, and Toy Story 3 held its own weight against Despicable Me. I think we're going to see the same happen this summer with Madagascar 3, Brave, and Ice Age 4.

I think we can agree that Mad3 will be more frontloaded. Its OW will probably be higher because of no animation movie for quite some time and it will drop harder because of early competition.

I don't think it will open higher. It's not tracking very well right now and a lack of competition doesn't guarantee a huge opening, especially with a competing movie being so close.There was almost no family competition when The Pirates opened. It only managed $11 million. Edited by tribefan695

When you have kids talk to me. You don't. I do and i have nieces and nephews that I take to the theater all the time. They want bright funny cartoons with funny animated situations. Yes, there are some kids films that are more liked than other kids films, but when Madagascar makes close to 200 mill, you can bet kids are clamouring to see the next one. It's the same with Alvin and many other films that some of you guys think are shit. I think some of them are too, but kids don't. To them it's funny and entertaining.

I don't have kids, but I've been around them nearly all my life since they've always been in my immediate family. I know that there are just some kids movies that kids don't like, or have no interest in seeing for whatever their reasons. Same as adults. I do agree with you that the Madagascar series definitely has far more appeal to kids than to anyone else, hence how they've grossed what they have, so I don't know that will be a big issue for this movie. I'm guessing the kids that liked the first one probably liked the 2nd, and will have some interest in this one. I still don't think it will have good WOM though. And I think it's insulting to a kid's intelligence to say that all they care about is bright, funny cartoons. They may like those too, but kids can look deeper than that. If they couldn't, there's no way Pixar movies like Wall-e or Ratatouille could have made over $200m.

In 2010, Shrek 4 collapsed against Toy Story 3, and Toy Story 3 held its own weight against Despicable Me. I think we're going to see the same happen this summer with Madagascar 3, Brave, and Ice Age 4.

will this summer be like 2010? a few big hits and others big disappointments?