AniNate

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - 6/8/2012

The advertising on this has been non-stop all over the place for the last couple of weeks. It comes on so much that some have begun to hate it, especially the Marty afro circus one...

Yes, DW has gone flat out insane on marketing for this thing. It's freakin everywhere. I don't even wanna know what they must have spent on the marketing campaign for it. I wouldn't be surprised it if exceeds the budget.

Oh puh-lease baumer, not this schtick again. Watch the damn trailer. It looks like shit. It ran out of ideas 4 years ago.And plenty people were criticizing Cars 2. Just because you think they're overrated doesn't make people's opinions laughable.

I knew I'd be able to bring this up after it's opening day. :)

I will say this. OS it will do great especially in Europe, 500M might be the floor, 600M in play. DOM however, 150M is the best it can struggle if its lucky enough and under 100M is likely happening if its bad.

Well, since it has an A- cinemascore and it is going to open to about 60, I guess 150 is not the ceiling, and it certainly won't miss 100. :)

I'm not saying it's going under $100m either. But why on earth would it open that high? That's only slightly less than KFP2 and that opened on Memorial Day weekend. It had two Saturdays.

Why would it open that high (45 mill is what I was quoting)? Because the trailer appeals to kids, the brand is loved and kids movies are lacking in the market. :)

There was no big animation movie since The Lorax, the market was empty. Madagascar 3 appeared in the right time. Add to that a colorfull and funny marketing campaign and this is what happens.

Edited by CJohn

Are you seeing this, Baumer?

If my nieces want me to take them then yes. But right now (she is sitting here with me), she is singing the da.da.da.da.da circus song from the trailer and she says her dad is taking her to see it.

If my nieces want me to take them then yes. But right now (she is sitting here with me), she is singing the da.da.da.da.da circus song from the trailer and she says her dad is taking her to see it.

This? I wonder where it originally comes from

• Like 1

One of these days I'll get to do a gloat quote

I'm pretty humble this morning. If you go back to page 5-6-7 and so on, you'll actually see people telling me that I'm full of shit and that there is no way this will make the numbers I'm predicting (which was a mere 165 mill). It's kind of funny. So I'm just picking a couple of posts. But there are a ton more.

I'm sure I probably said something to that effect at some point. Thanks for sparing me.Sometimes the marketing of kids movies pisses me off. I really didn't anticipate this getting the best reviews out of the bunch for the franchise.

Edited by tribefan695

I'm sure I probably said something to that effect at some point. Thanks for sparing me.Sometimes the marketing of kids movies really pisses me off. I didn't anticipate the movie getting the best reviews out of the bunch for the franchise.

Naaaaa....yours was pretty tame, something to the effect of that it would drop significantly from the 2nd or something like that. And that could still happen. But I made a post that showed that kids movies in the summer usually get more than a 3X. So if Mad opens to 60, it should hit 180 no problem.

34/115. Same as your multi.

It'll have 34 mill before the evening shows start on Saturday.

This probably wont manage a 45M OW ...Middle 30s opening perhaps. Prometheus will destroy its OW and 2 weekend later there comes Brave.

Yep. Looks just like your ASM call. ;)

It seems lots of animated movies seem to be taking the track of 'travel around the world' now...Clever little scheme to make the most possible money OS, perhaps?

I almost bumped one of your posts as well. :P

Kids loved the trailer and they flocked opening day to see it. They also gave it a great grade. This might hit 200 mill if it really does 60 this weekend.

There's no doubt that animation in general is in a much better state this year compared to last year, not to mention the lack of similar films since The Lorax compared to last year when you had Hop and Rio doing well up until KFP2 opened. The reviews for it are generally positive for the moment. Maybe $70m is too high, but I don't see why $60m should be out of reach.

I can't believe I'm now providing arguments as to why Madagascar 3 will break out. I gave it so much shit before.

I did change my opinion on Madagascar 3 last week or the week before. It became pretty obvious that it'd break out then.

Everyone can change their prediction once tracking comes in. But when you talk nonsense about something before the tracking comes in, just based on what you think you know, that is a true prediction. You talked some of the biggest shit around about the films prospects.....so I bumped a few of them. :P