AniNate

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - 6/8/2012

Doubt it gets a 3x multi. The 2nd didn't with pretty much just as good of WOM, holiday legs, and not having the disadvantage of a Pixar film breathing down its neck.

The second opened in November, not summer. Summer legs will give it a 3X. And WOM on the second one was good, but this one is great. It'll hit a 3X.

The second opened in November, not summer. Summer legs will give it a 3X. And WOM on the second one was good, but this one is great. It'll hit a 3X.

November should have been better for its legs than summer with all the Holiday boosts family films get. And CS/RT were roughly the same for the two films, so I don't see how the WOM for this is gonna be so much better. Actually M1 got by far the worst reviews and scores of the 3 and yet had by far the best multi so go figure.

Yeah I don't see this getting 3x. Brave is really going to hurt it.

Just like WallE would hurt KFP?Kids films, good ones, get a 3X in the summer. They just do. I've even posted it here in this thread before. But now that everyone's lame predictions have been blown out of the water, now the nest thing to do is say that the mutliplier is going to suck. We'll see in 6 weeks time when this hits 200. I hope it doesn't, but it looks like it will.

Just like WallE would hurt KFP?Kids films, good ones, get a 3X in the summer. They just do. I've even posted it here in this thread before. But now that everyone's lame predictions have been blown out of the water, now the nest thing to do is say that the mutliplier is going to suck. We'll see in 6 weeks time when this hits 200. I hope it doesn't, but it looks like it will.

Actually we're predicting the multiplier is going to suck based on the very logical pattern of this series (and animated sequels in general) and two very heavy hitters approaching in the next month to steal its audience. ;)

Posted back in March:Here is a sampling of non Pixar animated films released in the summer and their multipliers:Despicable Me: 256 mill off a 56 mill opening: 4.48Shrek 4: 238 off 70: 3.4Kung Fu Panda: 215 off 60: 3.58Ice Age 3: 196 off 41: 4.78Kung Fu Panda 2: 165 off 47: 3.5Over the Hedge: 155 off 38: 4.07Now, the lowest opening of these animated films in the summer is 38 mill but that was for an original film. So the next lowest is 41 mill for IA3. Now it ended up being really well received and had a massive multiplier. So let;s say Madagascar is not well received and it opens to about what IA3 did. Give it a 43 mill opening. Give it a low multiplier of 3.4 (which is the lowest multpiler on here..shrek 4) and with that you have 146 mill. Voila. This is not making less than 100 mill and I'll put a big bet on that. There is simply no precedent for it.

KFP had a 47% drop when Wall-E opened. Not a cataclysmic drop obviously, but it clearly took a hit. Secondly, MAD3 is a sequel. Thirdly, MAD3's WOM is decent but nowhere near KFP's.

KFP had a 47% drop when Wall-E opened. Not a cataclysmic drop obviously, but it clearly took a hit. Secondly, MAD3 is a sequel. Thirdly, MAD3's WOM is decent but nowhere near KFP's.

You'er right, the WOM on MAD3 is better. A- cinemascore.

WOM is going to be crazy. It's more fun than the first two were combined. 200m wouldn't surprise me if it hits 60m this weekend.

It's not even that difficult. Kids movies in the summer, competition or not, can easily attain a 3.5X.

Hmm, interesting.From BOM: If Madagascar 3 follows the pattern of Cars 2 and Toy Story 3, it will wind up in second place with $53 to $55 million for the weekend; however, if it lines up with Kung Fu Panda it takes first place with over $60 million.