Neo

Gods of Egypt | Feb 26, 2016 | IMAX release confirmed

After "Gods and Kings" I figured Hollywood would of learned it's lesson, I guess not.  Listen society isn't going to accept this B.S. anymore.  "Gods and Kings" was BANNED in Egypt so even the people of Africa have had enough.   Black Americans definitely have had enough constantly being told Egpyt wasn't Black.    I understand the business of movie making and the cost so naturally yes they want Big names to sell the movie.    But whitewashing has a bad history in Hollywood.   I'm sorry but people in Ancient Egypt did not look like they were from Europe.   But if it takes more money lost and more flops for Hollywood to learn it's lesson than so be it.  I commend Lionsgate for humbling themselves and admiting they messed up.    How hard is it to historically cast accruately?   Denzel should star as George Washington in a Biopic just to show how ridcoulous whitewashing is.   LOL.   I like Alex, I really do but this movie is done just like "Gods and Kings" was.   Sure it will make some internationally but domestic it's done.  

4 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

After "Gods and Kings" I figured Hollywood would of learned it's lesson, I guess not.  Listen society isn't going to accept this B.S. anymore.  "Gods and Kings" was BANNED in Egypt so even the people of Africa have had enough.   Black Americans definitely have had enough constantly being told Egpyt wasn't Black.    I understand the business of movie making and the cost so naturally yes they want Big names to sell the movie.    But whitewashing has a bad history in Hollywood.   I'm sorry but people in Ancient Egypt did not look like they were from Europe.   But if it takes more money lost and more flops for Hollywood to learn it's lesson than so be it.  I commend Lionsgate for humbling themselves and admiting they messed up.    How hard is it to historically cast accruately?   Denzel should star as George Washington in a Biopic just to show how ridcoulous whitewashing is.   LOL.   I like Alex, I really do but this movie is done just like "Gods and Kings" was.   Sure it will make some internationally but domestic it's done.  

This would flop anyway. And not even OS markets will save it. 

9 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Nobody cares about historical accuracy, people want to see a good movie. Exodus was crap and not because Moses wasn't black.

Exactly. In the GA nobody gives a shit. These movies flop because they look like shit.

Exodus still did over 200M OS. They can thank Europe still caring about star power (Christian Bale) and Ridley Scott (which is a big director name) for that. 

37 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Nobody cares about historical accuracy, people want to see a good movie. Exodus was crap and not because Moses wasn't black.

Nobody cares so much that the studio had to apologize for it.  Ridley had to defend his casting choices.   Like I said if nobody cared cast Denzel as George Washington and let's see nobody protest.   Acting like Hollywood doesn't have a horrible history of whitewashing is why these movies will continue to flop.  

7 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Nobody cares so much that the studio had to apologize for it.  Ridley had to defend his casting choices.   Like I said if nobody cared cast Denzel as George Washington and let's see nobody protest.   Acting like Hollywood doesn't have a horrible history of whitewashing is why these movies will continue to flop.  

No, not really, they flop because they look like shit.

Just like F4 flopped because it looked like shit and not because they cast a black Human Torch. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

I remember when we learned about the ancient Egypt but the teacher didn't tell us they were black. Most of the GA don't know this and even if someone knows it it's not a big deal. It's not the same as G.W.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

No, not really, they flop because they look like shit.

Just like F4 flopped because it looked like shit and not because they cast a black Human Torch. 

And The Avengers flopped because Nick Fury is black... oh wait.

5 minutes ago, misafeco said:

I remember when we learned about the ancient Egypt but the teacher didn't tell us they were black. Most of the GA don't know this and even if someone knows it it's not a big deal. It's not the same as G.W.

The media just makes a big deal about it because they are looking for blood.

The big majority doesn't give a flying fuck. These movies bomb because they look like shit. Switching an actor wouldn't make them any better or more appealing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmscholar said:

Look Exodus and Noah will still be banned in Egypt and all Muslim countries even if the president of the country acted in them. The same with all the Jesus films, all these figures are prophets of Islam and you can go to jail if you try to portay or give face to them ( or you can die... ). Some things are facts, any color you give to Noah European,Black or Japanese it's the same for them. Sometimes it's good to know what you talk about. Also every American movie that comes to Middle East and North Africa is really really cut. I know a person who used to do this job ( they do this in Europe) and they cut every single kiss,word, affection that doesn't fit their ethics e.t.c

Current Egyptians wouldn't find accurate a whole black cast either.....but what i am sure about is that current Egyptians actors have much more problems than an American movie.. there are Egyptians actors who can't act in any movie because of the political beliefs, if an actor doesn't support the government, he/she gets banned from every work in Egypt.

I have no idea how they will treat this movie, there was an advertisment on MBC4 (which is the biggest network for Arab countries) but i am not sure the word God will make a pass... 

58 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Exactly. In the GA nobody gives a shit. These movies flop because they look like shit.

Exodus still did over 200M OS. They can thank Europe still caring about star power (Christian Bale) and Ridley Scott (which is a big director name) for that. 

Europe and everywhere else doesn't have the race issue Americans have. The one in three words about a movie is what color or gender the actors are.

I thought this movie was fun, but i will not even give it a chance now, all this drama is too much.

I can't wait for it to flop so people can stop talking about it...

Edited by Hermia

1 hour ago, filmscholar said:

I could see Denzel as Washington. Provided he can sing. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_(musical))

As much as people say it isn't a big deal, it is a big deal if you change the race, specifically to white. Any time you change the race of a character (fictional or historical), you are making a statement. Often, as is the case of what Lin-Manuel Miranda did by casting POC for historically white people, that can be a positive statement. But generally if you're changing someone POC to white, your statement is "we were clueless and/or racist."

Even if the general audience as a whole doesn't know or care about the change, it still matters. Much of what we take in and internalize about media is unconscious. Representation matters.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Got the trailer at Mockingjay

Wow you guys weren't overhyping how bad this looks

Do you think it would look any better if you switch the cast to black actors?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, damienroc said:

Yes. All other things being equal having racially appropriate actors would be an improvement, even if the movie sucks otherwise.

It would still bomb with something like 10/22 and it would still look like the exact same piece of shit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It would still bomb with something like 10/22 and it would still look like the exact same piece of shit. 

That's not really important from a representation standpoint. It would at least mean some non-white dudes got a paycheck.

49 minutes ago, damienroc said:

That's not really important from a representation standpoint. It would at least mean some non-white dudes got a paycheck.

Gerard Buttler and Nicolaj Coster-Waldau also have families to take care of :P

• Like 2