Impact

Best Visual Effects-2012

I dont even think John Carter deserves an nomination. It had very average visual effects. All it could be proud of is the scale of those effects, which they had to burn $250m to make.Anyway, LoP, Prometheus and TH1 are locked to be in.

I think I might have to add TDKR to that list. The Bat is still one of the greatest things I have seen in any high-budget film--it's one of the most seamless uses of special effects I've seen.

Huh? Really?

Yeah, I might have to go back and re-watch it. I don't recall it blowing my balls off.

I have to say, I really was blown away by it. On many of the recent movies that have extravagant special effects, despite looking great, you can usually tell that there is blue/green screen being used. In TDKR, it really looked as if the bat was flying through the city and dodging missiles etc.. I just thought it looked incredibly realistic and I was never taken out of the movie unlike other pictures where I could see the seems between the effects. Rendering it in such a hyper-realistic manner had a really powerful effect on me. Edited by Clavius

TDKR has the advantage on being on few blockbuster that does not used a lot of CGI. Most effects are practical like they were in the 70's.

Which is what will hurt it. The current branch appreciates CGI more. And I feel like I didn't see the same movie as some others. TDKR's effects felt ordinary to me for a blockbuster of its size.

There's a difference between the general Academy -- who are as unskilled as us when it comes to knowing VFX techniques -- and the bake-off, where the semi-finalists get whittled down to 5 nominees. That's where the presentation reels come into play, and the audience is comprised of fellow VFX people.

I've never tested this theory out, but since the bake-off is only 10 minutes of video from each movie, then it may also benefit the movies with the highest peak points, rather than a movie with consistently high levels of effects but no real towering peak.