All The President's Men

16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

a very interesting study of two journalists' obsessions with the watergate scandal is also presented very, very dryly. the benefit is that there's little overstated importance (with the exception of some brief rattle on free speech near the end), but it loses a lot of cinematic potential with that decision. 

B

Edited by lisa

It's definitely dated to its era. 

I would say the style it is filmed, the way it's presented and edited all wrap it into a nice package- just not one that keeps up with my own sensibilities in present day.

The main problem I have with it, is that the deducing and the investigating aspects that are now commonplace in journalist films from the 90s onward (given I've only seen a few) seem to be relegated here to questionable and even incomplete plot lines. 

Deep Throat seemed more like a convenient plot device, and many, many of the reveals and "work" put out by the duo, seemed to be just lazy journalism. Quickly heading to print with what seemed like dodgy sources. The main downer though, was the ending. From the warning skipping to Nixon being sworn in, and then told by typewriter the resignations and convictions seemed a non-payoff. Particularly when the Administration had seemingly discredited them with every reveal, and that nothing ever seemed like it would stick.

To me, the film ended incomplete and made it seem like a rush job. I don't know why they were convicted or resigned when the film does not hint at there being any holes on the facade of the denial wall. They suddenly just do. That's just bad storytelling. 

B-

All the President's Men is widely considered the best film about investigative journalism ever made, and it's easy to see why. The case is both intricate and extremely high-profile, and the labyrinthine nature of it is enthralling to watch unfold. Redford and Hoffman bring their charismatic personalities to the forefront of their portrayal of Woodward and Bernstein, and it really makes the film watchable even when it goes into tough jargon. The only issue might be the complicated nature being displayed too much, making it at points difficult to digest. That's a minor issue in the grand scheme of just how how much intrigue is to be found here. All the President's Men is an exciting flick that displays the people who uncovered the biggest scandal in United States history in a typical Hollywood manner, but sometimes, that's enough to be great. B+