Dazed and Confused

7 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Dazed and Confused

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Awesome, thanks for adding! Just saw this for the first time today and for a movie with no real coherent storyline (simply one night of drugs and partying), it's a great character ensemble comedy/drama. I don't think it's Linklater's best film (I think Before Sunset and A Scanner Darkly has more depth), but it's one fun flick that I can see watching over and over. B+

While not quite the quality of some of my faves like Fasttimes, it is a fantastic movie with lots of quotable lines, not more than what Nolan posted.8.5/10

Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some fuckin' muscle.A

A masterpiece. Linklater's best film and I'm pretty sure my all-time favorite movie. It's just perfect.

When I was watching it in my highschool/college years I just loved it as a fun quotable movie that you can never get bored with. Now that I'm a few months away from being 30 the movie seems profound. I can't think of any other movie that digs in the joy and the frustration of being a teenager. You love all the careless fun you have in the moment but at the same time you just can't wait for all this to be over and start you "real" life.

"If I ever start refering to these as the best years of my life remind me to kill myself"

That - meant to be ironic - line IS the movie. I didn't gave it too much thought when I was watching the movie a dozen times when I was 17 or 20 but when I saw it a couple a years ago it wrecked me.

A+

• Like 2

What gets me is how exceptionally generous it is - Linklater could have taken the easy road and judged some characters but not the others, or firmly put you into someone specific's shoes for the entire duration, instead he really gives equal attention to everybody, and their joy and pain/humiliation and everything in between are equally vivid and relatable, no one's experience is more legitimate than someone else's. Like how Affleck's character could have just been a one-dimensional bully, but for all his genuine hostility, in that moment where they dump paint all over him you go from cheering to feeling sorry for him too. Or McConaughey is kind of a creep and pretty clearly a loser if he can't find people his own age to socialize with, but of course I would have been drawn to him in that age as much as the high schoolers here are. Goldberg works up the courage to start a fight, then the whole thing predictably turns nasty and messy instead of triumphant. The atmosphere is infectious, but you know this won't last and Pink's smart enough to recognize it, at the same time it's very possible that, as an adult, he'd laugh at his "Remind me to kill myself" line and just chalk it up to having been an over-dramatic high schooler. The entire thing just absolutely nails that wild mix of emotions of being a teenager through everything including throwaway lines and tiny moments, and without a slightest hint of detachment or condescension. 

• Like 3