Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

George couldn't write his way out of a paper bag.

And he would struggle to direct his way out of a paper bag as well.

But he is very talented at 'the big picture' so to speak. One has to be to create a world as vivid as Star Wars.

Phil, you're breaking my heart!  You're going down a road I can't follow!

Bay has a couple of decent entertainment flicks in The Rock, Bad Boys and Transformers. He has a couple of watchable flicks in Armageddon and The Island. And he has several OMG pull my eyes out please GOD!!!!! These flicks are Bad Boys 2, Pearl Harbour, T2 and T3.

I have yet to see Pain and Gain.

Bay has a couple of decent entertainment flicks in The Rock, Bad Boys and Transformers. He has a couple of watchable flicks in Armageddon and The Island. And he has several OMG pull my eyes out please GOD!!!!! These flicks are Bad Boys 2, Pearl Harbour, T2 and T3.

I have yet to see Pain and Gain.

Bay knows how to entertain the general audience on a consistent basis and critics hate this because of how rich he is for not giving a fuck about the opinion of snobby critics.

Edited by Jessie

If I say I don't like Bay's movies, how does that make me sound stupid?

No, but if you were to insult the guy by saying something like 'Bay is a talentless hack who can't deliver a good action scene to save his life etc etc' then you'd sound like an idiot.

Personally I find the myth that all film reviewers are cinema snobs and thats why directors like Michael Bay always get low ratings to be laughable. One simply has to look at how movies like FF6 were reviewed (69% Fresh, 88% fresh by 'top critics' to see that movies with no depth to them that are simply designed to entertain can get reviewed pretty damn well by the majority of critics. 

One doesn't have to be a 'snobby' critic to find Transformers to be crap.

• Like 2

Zimmer has done some very fine work, but a lot of his blockbuster scores are too mechanical and choose the path of least resistance to shapeless bombasity.I would take 10 of his Sherlock Holmes scores over his Batman output easily.

I say those scores that are mechanical tend to be sequel scores like Pirates 4 and Sherlock 3
  • Like 1

Personally I find the myth that all film reviewers are cinema snobs and thats why directors like Michael Bay always get low ratings to be laughable. One simply has to look at how movies like FF6 were reviewed (69% Fresh, 88% fresh by 'top critics' to see that movies with no depth to them that are simply designed to entertain can get reviewed pretty damn well by the majority of critics. One doesn't have to be a 'snobby' critic to find Transformers to be crap.

It's wrong to say all critics are like that but it's not Wrong to say some critics definitely are like thatI also find many critics can be very inconsistent with their complaints

Because Academy Awards are not the be all end all of music soundtrack quality appreciation?

Because The Lion King is actually a movie score with textures, theme orchestrations and variations; in short sounded like what you should expect from a real orchestral score for movies?

Yet, according to your prerequisites, is automatically an inferior score to TDK b/c TDK is considered by the majority to be more "hummable" and memorable.

Aside from the pop songs, there is no one I know who hums the Zimmer score from TLK and few even remember it, but they sure remember a ton of Zimmer's scores from the TDK trilogy.

Yet, according to your prerequisites, is automatically an inferior score to TDK b/c TDK is considered by the majority to be more "hummable" and memorable.

Aside from the pop songs, there is no one I know who hums the Zimmer score from TLK and few even remember it, but they sure remember a ton of Zimmer's scores from the TDK trilogy.

Which ones? You mean that "hummable" bombastic Crimson Tide rip-off?