5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

One of the biggest disappointments in cinematic history!, 23 September 2005I have always believed that the horror genre is the most difficult to master. To make an effective horror film takes an amalgamation of talent, luck and one intangible that most cannot figure out. To me, you have to love the genre and you have to have little studio interference. Films like Halloween, Last House on the Left, Evil Dead, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre were all low budget and independent films and all were pioneers of the genre. All were also emancipated from any studio intervention which more often than not can destroy a director's vision. I would think that somewhere in Urban Legend and The Haunting's vernacular was a good film until the morons who knew nothing about film got a hold of it.I mention all of this as a precursor to the review because The Ring was a modern day miracle. It was the scariest horror film in twenty years and it was a studio project. I honestly never thought that a film made by Dreamworks would touch a nerve in the way it did. But with direction by Gore Verbinski and Ehren Krueger writing one of the best scripts I've ever been privy to, The Ring scared the hell out of me.To do a follow up was almost a no win situation. Not since Nightmare on Elm Street 2 has there been a more disappointing sequel than this one. I don't know where to lay the blame, because Ehren Krueger, whom I respect very much, returned to pen the sequel and you have the director of the Japanese film that started it all, helming this one. So where does the blame fall? Was it the studio who interfered too vehemently? Was it that the Japanese original was that inferior to the Dreamworks version? Or is it just that lightning doesn't strike twice in most films? I'm not sure what the answer is to that perplexing question, all I know is that this is about as much of a true dichotomy from the first. You can't get any further apart.Naomi Watts is adequate as Rachael and David Dorfman is passable as Aidan, but the continuation of Samara story is perhaps the weak link here. In the original, she was an enigma. Her story was such a mystery that it kept you guessing as to what she was and where she came from. There was a blend of The Changeling and a bit of The Shining all rolled into one. A sequel succeeds when it extends the story, not just retells it. There was no continuation of the story here. No one bothered to explain why Samara can come through the TV and petrify you to death. No one bothered to explain why she is still haunting people through videocassettes. No one bothered to explain anything. Now maybe some are okay with that. Maybe a mystery should remain a mystery. But if you can get past the regression of the story, then what is even more disturbing is that there is nothing remotely disturbing, interesting or scary about the film, and everything that was freaky about Samara in the first one is now like watching Scooby Doo and mystery of Samara. There is no fear of her now. There is nothing remotely disturbing about her. Maybe I was expecting too much, but this film is one of the weakest sequels I have ever seen. If they decide to make a third, they had better go back to their roots and get Verbinski back. Is it wrong to expect this much from a sequel? Maybe. But then again, there are sequels that can match the original, if not surpass it. At least two of the Friday the 13th sequels surpass the original and if you are talking non horror, then you can also add films like Lethal Weapon 2, Bourne Supremacy and of course classics like Terminator 2, Aliens, Godfather II and Empire Strikes Back to the list of sequels that either equaled or surpassed the original. Now in my opinion, Nakata is not on the same level as Cameron, Lucas or even Copolla, so there is no reason to believe that he can create a better film that Verbinski did. But suffice to say that everything that made the first such a paradigm for years to come, has vanished in this one. It is truly unfortunate as it feels like too many politicians in this one threw their hat into the ring and tried to make changes that did nothing but give us another Nightmare on Elm Street 2. And that is a shame.2/10

• Like 1

F

I hated everything about it is all I can say in a nutshell. Not one damn redeemable quality. I remember seeing the teaser for this when it came out online and it was easily the most excited I ever had or still ever have been for any horror film. Yeah, talk about being let down. "I'M NOT YOUR FUCKING MOMMY!!!!" That was just one of the little dialouge gems from this piece of feces. Worst thing about it though? Not one teensy tiny scare! Not one! Ugh, such a horrible sequel.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

Honestly, I don't remember too much from this movie, but one part in particular I did find creepy, when the kid was taking the pictures in the dark, and he could see the ghost in the mirror getting closer and closer with each snap shot. That was creepy!

• Like 1

I think part of the reason for the problems here is down to the books.

The Ring book is an outright horror story, it is pretty different to what the film was turned into (Male character in book becomes female in film etc) but in general the soul of the book (especially the parts that made it scary) are represented on film and you had both a great Japanese and a great US horror.

The problem then hit with the sequel in that Loop (The book sequel) basically forgoes the horror genre and goes into a direction that is I think really quite interesting and the books are a fascinating trinity. But you cannot replicate on Screen (especially after all the character changes when making the first film).

Because of this, the writers and directors were basically left with coming up with their own concept from scratch, and their direction of choice was what you saw in Ring 2.

(As a final note, the Japanese progression of this seriesd film was a prequel [Ring 0] and if anything ever comes of this series again, that may be the direction it goes in.)

It's just the ordinarily unnecessary, by the numbers, horror sequel tht tries to expand a unexpandable story. But what surprised me is how visually bad looking the film was, so so cheap, almost DTV looking, especially compared to the first one. Also, what's up with the director's obsession with dolly and crane shots?

Long story short:it doesn't work as a simple horror movie, much less as a sequel to one of the best horror movies of all time (I would say the best one)

35/100
Edited by Goffe