Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

While I really, really want to see Interstellar, it's going to be BH6 that gets my money opening weekend. There aren't a whole lot of movies out that I can bring my son to that won't drive me completely insane with stupidity, so this is a definite. Unfortunately, Nolan and McConaughey will have to wait :(

Plus, it'll my birthday weekend, and we'll be going to Disneyland the following week, so I'm already saving up for all the BH6 merch that I will be getting!

This really does look like it could be another winner for Disney!

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Like 3

Yes sir. It is based on a Marvel created team of characters called as "Big Hero 6", who live in a city known as San Fransokyo (mashup of San Francisco and Tokyo).

Posted Image

Too bad it's Disney. Because I really dig that sexy girl character. I wonder how Hollywood would cast her?

While I really, really want to see Interstellar, it's going to be BH6 that gets my money opening weekend. There aren't a whole lot of movies out that I can bring my son to that won't drive me completely insane with stupidity, so this is a definite. Unfortunately, Nolan and McConaughey will have to wait :(

Plus, it'll my birthday weekend, and we'll be going to Disneyland the following week, so I'm already saving up for all the BH6 merch that I will be getting!

This really does look like it could be another winner for Disney!

• Like 1

Disney will likely de-age all the BH6 members into teens if we go with the leaked drawings. The girls will be more cute than sexy.

Rather, Disney will actually make the characters look their age, rather than overly sexualizing the female characters?

• Like 11

Rather, Disney will actually make the characters look their age, rather than overly sexualizing the female characters?

Sexualizing teenage characters is problematic for obvious reasons, so people shouldn't expect the movie characters to resemble their comic versions too much. Disney has been criticized for designing sexualized animated female characters in the past, which I think is ridiculous. They just happen to create the most memorable human female characters in animation.

• Like 1

Sexualizing teenage characters is problematic for obvious reasons, so people shouldn't expect the movie characters to resemble their comic versions too much. Disney has been criticized for designing sexualized animated female characters in the past, which I think is ridiculous. They just happen to create the most memorable human female characters in animation.

Oh, there are problems with the way Disney has designed their characters. Glen Keane is a great character designer, but they have tended to hew a bit too close to his template of late. I love Frozen, but I really wish they'd gone a bit further than their standard thin girl archetype for both Elsa and Anna. (Personal choice: make Anna chubby. Don't change anything else about the film's presentation of her, and never have it addressed, but it would be good for representation.)

However, the problems that Disney has are completely different than the problems that Marvel and DC tend to have with their comics. There are some artists who are good about drawing teen girls, and then there are artists who have them with arched backs and breasts like balloons. It's really good we won't see anything like the latter in BH6.

Oh, there are problems with the way Disney has designed their characters. Glen Keane is a great character designer, but they have tended to hew a bit too close to his template of late. I love Frozen, but I really wish they'd gone a bit further than their standard thin girl archetype for both Elsa and Anna. (Personal choice: make Anna chubby. Don't change anything else about the film's presentation of her, and never have it addressed, but it would be good for representation.)

but the thing is almost all animated films the females are thin. I'm not saying it's right, but that's just the case. (Even in non animated films the main characters are always thin). So it's not like it's only Disney. The reason why Disney gets more of the critique is that if you look at other animation studious, the more popular characters are male and not female. Disney is more popular for it's female animated characters which is why they get more critique than other animated studios. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 2

but the thing is almost all animated films the females are thin. I'm not saying it's right, but that's just the case. (Even in non animated films the main characters are always thin). So it's not like it's only Disney. The reason why Disney gets more of the critique is that if you look at other animation studious, the more popular characters are male and not female. Disney is more popular for it's female animated characters which is why they get more critique than other animated studios. 

Sometimes for work I have to tell people who have done something wrong that the behavior of others doesn't excuse their own. It doesn't matter, in the end, what the standard practice is. Disney has a chance to lead by example and put in more body variety to their characters. As of yet, they haven't, and they can be criticized for it.

It is also true that OTHER studios can be criticized for the same.

(And body image issues hit women and girls far more than men and boys, so Disney's consistently thin princesses is a bigger problem than another studio's consistently thin dudes.)

• Like 1

That would have been interesting. It probably wouldn't have impacted Frozen's success since the main reason people love the movie was because of Elsa and the songs. But I think that would have increased Elsa's popularity even more over Anna, little girls are just more drawn to the pretty thin standard girl archetype.

The girls in Lilo and Stitch were more realistic in terms of body sizes, and that movie did very well. But that movie was sold on the Stitch character.

Edited by Mojoguy

Oh, I think it's funny how obvious that Anna was positioned as the lead princess of the Frozen (Disney was probably thinking that they would shove Elsa to the background the moment the movie was out), and how Olaf was positioned as the breakout character. But quickly after the movie was released Elsa has completely DOMINATED all discussion, fanart, and marketing for the movie. :lol:

Edited by Mojoguy

That would have been interesting. It probably wouldn't have impacted Frozen's success since the main reason people love the movie was because of Elsa and the songs. But I think that would have increased Elsa's popularity even more over Anna, little girls are just more drawn to the pretty thin standard girl archetype.

The girls in Lilo and Stitch were more realistic in terms of body sizes, and that movie did very well. But that movie was sold on the Stitch character.

Yeah, Chris Sanders does some great stuff for character design. The Croods also was pretty great in that regard. (At least in terms of body shape. Less so about skin color.)

Oh, I think it's funny how obvious that Anna was positioned as the lead princess of the Frozen (Disney was probably thinking that they would shove Elsa to the background the moment the movie was out), and how Olaf was positioned as the breakout character. But quickly after the movie was released Elsa has completely DOMINATED all discussion, fanart, and marketing for the movie. :lol:

Eh, I don't know. The animation team was pretty firmly behind Elsa from all that I've heard. Marketing may have felt differently, though, prior to release.

Yeah, Chris Sanders does some great stuff for character design. The Croods also was pretty great in that regard. (At least in terms of body shape. Less so about skin color.)

It's a shame Disney, through Lasseter, has permanently damaged its relationship with Chris Sanders. I imagine Sanders was the only reason why there was finally a Dreamworks movie that I loved (Dragon), and the reason The Croods was better than it had any right to be.

Probably can't take my son to Interstellar. Not only is the ticket too expensive, I doubt he'd be able to sit through the movie. Plus it may not be suitable for him (he'll be almost three years old by then!)

If I don't see a movie opening weekend, it'd be very unlikely that I'd ever get to see it until it comes out on DVD.