Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Merchandising ready to go 

Posted Image

Huh. Both Maleficent and BH6 had their POP figures released before their movies, but it took Funko months after Frozen came out to do those Frozen figures. Did Funko think Frozen wasn't going to be popular enough to make figures for? :unsure:

Huh. Both Maleficent and BH6 had their POP figures released before their movies, but it took Funko months after Frozen came out to do those Frozen figures. Did Funko think Frozen wasn't going to be popular enough to make figures for? :unsure:

I don't think anybody thought it's gonna be popular enough.

• Like 2

I don't think anybody thought it's gonna be popular enough.

I have a strong feeling even Disney expected it to perform weaker than Tangled as it was more girlier and more musical-y. It was only after the rave reviews from the preview screenings started popping up that marketing busted out "Biggest Disney Animated Event Since The Lion King" in the last trailer.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

Frozen's level of success definitely was not expected by Disney. Disney was slow to get the merchandise out for meet the demand for Frozen merchandise. They seem to be doing a nice job with BH6 though.

• Like 2

I think it's pretty clear Frozen had some problems and issues during production, and Disney were probably happy just to get the thing released. I think those problems are evident in the final film itself, but it was still a good film regardless of its issues, and most of all, people were just able to connect with it. (While I personally find it to be quite overpraised, I think many people go needlessly out of their way to undermine it as well. But I digress.) While I can see why they were worried, I think there was a lot of goodwill that was built up from Tangled (and, to a lesser extent, Wreck-It Ralph as well), so I'm surprised they weren't a little more confident from the get-go. (Tangled's audience has only grown since its release.) While I never even thought that 400M domestic 1B+ WW was a possibility, I was optimistically expecting an increase over Tangled and WIR, though I understand many BO communities weren't.

Anyway, that Feast short looks glorious. While I'm really looking forward to BH6, I think my anticipation toward Feast is even higher. As I understand it, they are utilizing the same technology as Paperman. I'd really like to see Disney take a risk and use it on a feature length film... Considering that some pretty big budget CGI flicks, even from powerhouses such as DreamWorks, are bombing left and right, perhaps audiences will respond positively to something new and refreshing. WDAS has built up enough goodwill now that I think audiences will respond positively. (But it still probably won't happen...at least for a long while...)

• Like 1

Anyway, that Feast short looks glorious. While I'm really looking forward to BH6, I think my anticipation toward Feast is even higher. As I understand it, they are utilizing the same technology as Paperman. I'd really like to see Disney take a risk and use it on a feature length film... Considering that some pretty big budget CGI flicks, even from powerhouses such as DreamWorks, are bombing left and right, perhaps audiences will respond positively to something new and refreshing. WDAS has built up enough goodwill now that I think audiences will respond positively. (But it still probably won't happen...at least for a long while...)

I am afraid that it is not the same technology as paperman... that was basically dropped and i would assume that this is because it required nearly twice the work as standard cgi stuff. You had to animate the 3D objects and then basically animate over that with pencil strokes. The second step was made easier by using the 3d animation to steer the pencil stuff which reduced the need for inbetweening, but it was still pretty work intensive. As far as i can tell the feast shots do not feature this work intensive pencil line stuff that was so great in paperman.... Anyways the style still looks nice and i am also really looking forward to this short.

• Like 1

I am afraid that it is not the same technology as paperman... that was basically dropped and i would assume that this is because it required nearly twice the work as standard cgi stuff. You had to animate the 3D objects and then basically animate over that with pencil strokes. The second step was made easier by using the 3d animation to steer the pencil stuff which reduced the need for inbetweening, but it was still pretty work intensive. As far as i can tell the feast shots do not feature this work intensive pencil line stuff that was so great in paperman.... Anyways the style still looks nice and i am also really looking forward to this short.

Oh, well that's unfortunate.  I remember reading at CartoonBrew that it was the same technology, but maybe the author was just making an assumption based on the visuals. But considering that the author actually saw the short and proceeded to think it was the same technology, I think that still says that this is something pretty special. Whether the Paperman technology or not, I'd like to see them do something "out-of-the-box" like this for a feature.

• Like 1

I'm starting to wonder if this one can really break out and go as high as $300M+. Is there any other animated competition through the New Year? I know, in general, there's Interstellar, MockingJLaw, Hobbit 3, etc.

The Madagascar penguins movie. There's also Annie, which isn't animated but should draw in kids. And I wouldn't rule out Exodus being huge, even if the bronzer is ridiculous in 2014. Never underestimate the religious moviegoers, especially at Christmas

• Like 3

Oh, well that's unfortunate.  I remember reading at CartoonBrew that it was the same technology, but maybe the author was just making an assumption based on the visuals. But considering that the author actually saw the short and proceeded to think it was the same technology, I think that still says that this is something pretty special. Whether the Paperman technology or not, I'd like to see them do something "out-of-the-box" like this for a feature.

Just reread some of the review...

I guess the reviewer is basically saying that feast also uses non photorealistic rendering... shading is very stylized as in paperman, but it is also mentioned that the pencil line is missing... which basically was the central feature of the paperman style. And yep it is still really refreshing that they are experimenting with different visual styles. Especially since nowadays all the 3D animation looks so similar... seeing something like this in a feature film really would be pretty epic :)

• Like 2

I imagine WDAS will release a non photo realistic film sooner than later. I think The Lego Movie as well as Sonys recent animated films have gone towards non realistic visuals and given that animation is very crowded, hopefully animated films will start looking less generic

• Like 3