Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

So what are the odds that we have to wait until this Friday before we get a ton of reviews finally appearing on RT? Disney sure loves to torment us! :P

i'm gonna go ahead and say it's in disney's interest for this to remain at 100% up until opening, so..

i'm gonna go ahead and say it's in disney's interest for this to remain at 100% up until opening, so..

BH6 opens in the UK on January 30th, so at least I'm not from there. They have to avoid this topic for three months after this move opens to avoid spoilers. Disney is so cruel. :ph34r:

BH6 opens in the UK on January 30th, so at least I'm not from there. They have to avoid this topic for three months after this move opens to avoid spoilers. Disney is so cruel. :ph34r:

It opens January 30th here in Finland as well, so would kindly ask people now to try to avoid spoilers after the film opens (probably you do not manage to wait that long but if you could...) I had to move about of Frozen IMDb boards for that reason last year.

The UK got screwed when it comes to BH6. Why are they opening the movie so late there? Just to avoid Penguins? :o

Well, everybody, not just Disney, knows that WDAS movies can't stand up to any competition. Even today, with the full benefit of hindsight, some analysts and various other people still claim or imply that the main reason Frozen was able to gross so much was the lack of competition. I mean, thank goodness another animated feature didn't open during the same month last year or else I'm sure that Frozen would have tanked! ;) By the way, it did face a fair amount of local animated competition in Japan, but all of these movies performed beautifully--it only looks as though Frozen clubbed them like baby seals because it performed beautifuller. ;) I still feel that while the potential effects of direct competition shouldn't be ignored, they are very frequently exaggerated.

In the international thread, there is this likely explanation for Big Hero 6's release date in France:

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/14952-big-hero-6-overseas-thread/page-4#entry1741783

Actually, this could be a concern, and it's better to be safe than sorry (despite my half-joking bluster above--remember, I used hindsight ;)). I don't know whether there is an equivalent explanation for its release date in the UK.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 2

Well, everybody, not just Disney, knows that WDAS movies can't stand up to any competition. Even today, with the full benefit of hindsight, some analysts and various other people still claim or imply that the main reason Frozen was able to gross so much was the lack of competition. I mean, thank goodness another animated feature didn't open during the same month last year or else I'm sure that Frozen would have tanked!

Well, Frozen did have to face Walking with Dinosaurs in December. The public ended up rejecting Dinosaurs.

Is the lack of BH6 reviews right now a big conspiracy from Disney?

I think that water had it right:

Quit while you're ahead--the remaining reviews can (and will) come later. They'd feel differently if Big Hero 6 had initially scored in the 60s or 70s like Interstellar has (still stuck at 74%--OUCH!)--Disney would probably be doing advance screenings for critics every day if they thought the score would go up, but 100% is obviously at the apex, so they're good. :)

Oh, and

Hail Hydra. Nice pin, by the way--nice tie, too.

;)

• Like 1

Well, Frozen did have to face Walking with Dinosaurs in December. The public ended up rejecting Dinosaurs.

By the way, just in case it didn't come across in writing, my wryly sarcastic, slightly bemusing rhetoric, like the example you quoted, is not meant to be taken too literally. I wasn't entirely serious, either, when I implied in another post a few days ago that WDAS wasn't one of the more established feature animation studios. Well, nobody is as established as they are, so obviously I didn't mean that literally--it just sometimes seems as though they can never dig themselves out of some kind of "hole" in terms of public perception (more than a few people think that Planes is from WDAS while Frozen is from Pixar because WDAS sucks and Pixar is awesome), so effectively they are like a new player in town. That's what I meant, and it's kind of sad, but if it puts a chip on their shoulders, then it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Walking With Dinosaurs and likewise Free Birds were never considered real competition anyway. Now, The Lego Movie opened while Frozen was still going pretty strong (for being three months into its run), and neither seemed to impact the other at all. I can't tell you for sure what would have happened if they had opened close to one another, but I can tell you for a fact that Frozen was the stronger box office draw and phenomenon, so if hypothetically they couldn't have coexisted in peace--and I for one think that they could have, but anyway--then Frozen probably would have strangled The Lego Movie rather than the other way around.

But on other forums I keep seeing the same mantra from Disney fans and haters alike: Big Hero 6 is going to get clobbered by the competition. I'm like the only one who ever says "Maybe the competition are the ones who should be worried," and other fans are like "Oh yeah...I never thought of it that way!" :lol: And as I said, it's still the same even for Frozen well after the fact. Man, it's a good thing that Turbo, Mr. Peabody & Sherman, or Rio 2 didn't open in November or December--Disney really dodged a kill-shot there! ;) Sorry, but Disney fans are humble like Anna ("It's just me."), timid like Piglet ("Oh, d-d-dear!"), and fear their own "powers" like Elsa. Except for me, that is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVeUWmP0j_U

:P

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 3

After nine days on release inRussia, Disney Animation Studios’ Big Hero 6 has earned $10.3M – the 2nd frame was up 1% over the previous weekend with an estimated $4.8M. Russian kids are currently on school holiday and the story of the special bond that develops between an inflatable robot and a child that’s directed by Don Hall and Chris Williams next weekend travels to many more major markets, including the U.S. It won’t get to Japan, which figures heavily in the story, until December 20.

How does this compare to WiR?

RT review that hasn't been posted yet.  Overall positive

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Doesn't seem to be a single review out there that doesn't think they hit on a goldmine with Baymax!

• Like 2

I'm getting more and more excited for this. Could the weekend of November 7 possibly be the greatest movie weekend of the year? I think so.

It's funny how basically this year four movies that would've easily been in my top ten movies anticipated of the year opened against each other

Jump Street/Dragon

Interstellar/Big Hero 6

• Like 2

WiR grossed $14.7m in Russia so BH6 will pass it pretty easily ^^ And it's really good to know because BH6 is completely disadvantaged compared with other WDAS releases given the exchange rate is very disadvantageous (the Russian currency reached an all-time low and is still free-falling because of its very weak economy, sanctions from the US/UE and the conflict in Ukraine) so BH6 is doing very well.

• Like 3

Wreck-It Ralph grossed about $9M over 11 days in Russia (using today's exchange rate) compared to $10.3M over 9 days for Big Hero 6. Naively using simple ratios to normalize the comparison (it's not actually that simple, of course), Big Hero 6 is doing about 40% better, which when naively applied to Wreck-It Ralph's OS gross (not every country will receive it just like Russia) gives us a total of $395M OS, which wouldn't be bad for an original animated feature. These are pretty meaningless numbers, and I did this just for kicks, but to a first-order (maybe zeroth-order) approximation everything seems to look OK so far.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 1

Wreck-It Ralph grossed about $9M over 11 days in Russia (using today's exchange rate) compared to $10.3M over 9 days for Big Hero 6. Naively using simple ratios to normalize the comparison (it's not actually that simple, of course), Big Hero 6 is doing about 40% better, which when naively applied to Wreck-It Ralph's overseas gross (not every country will receive it just like Russia) gives us a total of $395M, which wouldn't be bad for an original animated feature. These are pretty meaningless numbers, and I did this just for kicks, but to a first-order (maybe zeroth-order) approximation everything seems to look OK so far.

$395m OS I guess?

• Like 1