Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

it's still on for at least $210M tho, right?

As of yesterday it's now 53% ahead of WIR in dailies.

Tues:    $318,994  vs $489,967 (+53%)

Total:    $164,973,969  vs  $186,101,489

WIR End Total = $189,422,889  with $24,448,920 remaining.

So $37,406,848 ($24,448,920 x 1.53) left on BH6 box office it just retains a 53% lead for a $223,508,337 total

• Like 1

As of yesterday it's now 53% ahead of WIR in dailies.

Tues:    $318,994  vs $489,967 (+53%)

Total:    $164,973,969  vs  $186,101,489

WIR End Total = $189,422,889  with $24,448,920 remaining.

So $37,406,848 ($24,448,920 x 1.53) left on BH6 box office it just retains a 53% lead for a $223,508,337 total

I doubt it can retain that lead though, as Baymax will be greatly affected by the family movies coming. Although we could still hope.

I doubt it can retain that lead though, as Baymax will be greatly affected by the family movies coming. Although we could still hope.

If the lead drops to 25% it would do $215m.  If it completely lost it's lead it would do $210m so unless it completely collapses (no reason it should over Christmas and NYs) $210m is the bottom.

There will be competition but unless they really break out, no other substantial reason for it to reverse course. I wouldn't be too surprised if the lead continues to build.

Edit:

Gap closed on Weds. Interesting to see if it can rebuild it going by the weekend

7 Big Hero 6 $373,223 -24% 2,776 -392 $134 $186,474,712 6 Disney

Edited by WileECoyote
  • Like 1

There will be competition but unless they really break out, no other substantial reason for it to reverse course. I wouldn't be too surprised if the lead continues to build.

Edit:

Gap closed on Weds. Interesting to see if it can rebuild it going by the weekend

7 Big Hero 6 $373,223 -24% 2,776 -392 $134 $186,474,712 6 Disney

It  will hold an advantage in theater count. In it's 7th w/e WIR dropped down to  2,249 while BH6 will drop to 2,407.   WIR does have one  advantage in that the start of its 7th w/e was Dec 14 as opposed to Dec 19.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

Looking at Saturday presales on Toho cinemas it seems that Yokay Watch is going to destroy the Boxoffice in Japan while BH6 is still quiet at the moment.

It is pretty astounding that Yōkai Watch--ostensibly a kiddie movie--may well have the biggest OW gross (or at least OW attendance) in Japan's history. :blink: For this to be happening, it must be drawing an unprecedented number of children, which will undoubtedly impact Big Hero 6's OW gross. Fortunately Japan is a famously leggy market, however, so Big Hero 6 still has a chance to recover even if it will be overshadowed in this market segment initially. And in the DOM market an opening like Yōkai Watch will likely have is only equivalent to $50-some-odd million, so there should still be room for other movies in Japan. Movies of this type are generally front-loaded, too, so its dominance probably won't last that long. Collectively Japanese people usually take their time to make it to the movie theater (with some exceptions like what we're seeing here), so you're only dead if you don't have good WOM.

• Like 1

I'm completely disgusted by what happens to it in Japan!

It was meant to be the great moment for BH6, its great territory after the US, and now we learn it's just second behind a Yokai Watch movie, Japan really disappoints me......Let's hope Korea and China will be more reasonable and will help it with unbelievable performances :) I'm also optimistic about its performance in Brazil :)

I'm completely disgusted by what happens to it in Japan!

It was meant to be the great moment for BH6, its great territory after the US, and now we learn it's just second behind a Yokai Watch movie, Japan really disappoints me......Let's hope Korea and China will be more reasonable and will help it with unbelievable performances :) I'm also optimistic about its performance in Brazil :)

A western movie that features strong Japanese elements isn't making money in Japan.

I'm in shock

• Like 1

It's making money, are you ignorant or..?

I think h/she meant something like Godzilla 2014 not making that much money in Japan, albeit it had a Japanese actor, monster, and setting. So obviously, BH6 is not a guaranteed success in Japan, likewise.

I already foreseen that BH6 won't do that well in Japan, unlike everyone expected it to be so successful. And my silly reasoning was because it is a superhero movie, because as far as I know Japanese people don't like Western superhero movies that much. 

I took a look at The Avenger's numbers in Japan, and it gained $45 million. So BH6 numbers in Japan, is actually expected for me.

Edited by phantom

Mid-Day Report (02:30PM)

Big Hero 6 is no slouch this weekend either, though I'm curious just how much Yo-Kai Watch is helping it from basically all its showtimes selling out. Right now, it looks like it could reach 400,000+ admissions over the weekend, and a gross above ¥500 million ($4.5-5 million). That'd be an impressive opening, no doubt, though again, just how much is it benefiting from spillover (the same applies to every other film, too).

It's not going to be insanely huge there like Frozen but nothing else is this year either.  

It's opening in the shadow of a behemoth but still opening very well.  That would be a 14-25% bigger opener than ASM2 which was the only big SH movie this year.  As an animated movie and because of the time of the year it should have better legs.  $40-50m doesn't look out of the question and that would put it in or near the top 5 of the year for Japan.

http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/

• Like 4

It's not going to be insanely huge there like Frozen but nothing else is this year either.  

It's opening in the shadow of a behemoth but still opening very well.  That would be a 14-25% bigger opener than ASM2 which was the only big SH movie this year.  As an animated movie and because of the time of the year it should have better legs.  $40-50m doesn't look out of the question and that would put it in or near the top 5 of the year for Japan.

http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/

To put in into perspective, a gross over $40 million would make it the second highest grossing WDAS film in Japan (the current #2 being Dinosaur with $40.2 million gross). 

• Like 3