Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

I haven't heard any buzz for this at all. Seemingly overshadowed by Interstellar.

The families will come out to see it anyway, but I feel like it doesn't have that extra push to generate more income.

I've seen more than a bit, though perhaps not as much as I'd like.

However, it's not actually in competition with BH6 and the overall dearth of suitable animated and/or family fare this year is bound to work to its advantage, especially since GotG (another action/comedy) played well with the family crowd despite the rating.  Something with a similar 'genre' and audience appeal should do just as well (or a bit better as parents won't have to be worried about certain content with BH6 the way they would have to be with GotG).

Besides, Disney Animated features tend to do okay, even if they don't do huge numbers.  Remember that expectations for animated films aren't usually the same as for other types.

Also... regardless of the box office take, you know that Disney will be making money hand over fist on toys and other tie-ins.  I've already been seeing BH6 stuff available in toy stores for weeks.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 4

Family choice of this holiday season. judging by the trailers and info, this should have good enough chance to leg by 200m.  

no matter how hyped interstellar has been, they're not in direct competition. 

A lot of people seem to be forgetting that fact.  It's not really Intersteller vs BH6 at all.  

Intersteller's major competition coming up soon will be Mockingjay (and then Hobbit).  I doubt many families are going to be dragging their kids to this movie (or that any kids will be begging mom and dad to take them to it).

BH6 has to contend with Penguins of Madagascar (which I think is the only serious contender to take its legs out) and maybe Annie (or Into the Woods, though that is pretty dark for a musical).  I anticipate kiddies will be more likely to want to see BH6 or Penguins if they're the ones bugging their parents to go to a movie.

After Penguins, there isn't any further direct competition until Feb's Spongebob Movie, so I'm hoping BH6 can outleg Penguins and hold out until then.

Next year's schedule of animated movies seems a lot more packed than this year though!   There are 12 animated releases on the docket for 2015!

• Like 3

I still see this opening in the low 60s (with Interatellar in the mid-to high 60s)

Legs are going to be soooo interesting for Interstellar/BH 6. I love it when I can look forward to a movies BO run just as much as the movie itself :D

• Like 2

I haven't heard any buzz for this at all. Seemingly overshadowed by Interstellar.

The families will come out to see it anyway, but I feel like it doesn't have that extra push to generate more income.

I've seen a ton of ads for it. Of course Interstellar is overshadowing it because it's Nolan, but this is strictly counterprogramming. BH6 will do very well.

My thoughts exactly.

vDtntOf.jpg

At this point Paramount must be desperate to get as many critics to see Interstellar as they can in order to get more positive critical buzz going, while Disney must be pretty satisfied with 100% positive reviews thus far.

I know there's been some worry about the Japanese reception of BH6, but this is encouraging:

Here's a Japanese review of BH6: http://otakumode.com/news/544e3438fe25d42d762cefd6/Movie-Review-We-Attend-the-World’s-First-Screening-of-Big-Hero-6-!-Disney’s-Newest-Work-is-a-Story-About-the-“Birth-of-a-Hero”

It seems like this may be well received in Japan, which would be great for its overseas box office.

I've probably been one of the more vocal worriers in this respect, since from what I've seen Japanese people have a tendency to scoff at quasi-Japanese elements in foreign movies, but if this review is any indication, then they might be able to see that its appeal for Japanese audiences, like that of Frozen, actually, runs more than skin-deep. It has certain elements that should "speak" directly to Japanese audiences in particular, such as having to overcome Hiro's talents being wasted, which is roughly analogous to Elsa's magic having been destructive rather than constructive. And there is more on top of this--like Frozen it is effectively tailored for Japan (Disney is in general, but these two movies in particular).

I don't know how many of the people like Disney enough to consider their homages to Japan in this movie an honor as opposed to exploitation, but if everybody would react to this like this reviewer did, then we might have another giant Japanese monster (or should I say robot?) on our hands! :D

If if if! In the International thread, I said that Big Hero 6 could potentially gross $150 million in Japan (with $50 million as a more "reasonable" expectation), which I consider a rather bold statement to make of any movie (cheeky, even), but that's only IF a number of questionable pieces fall into place. This review is just one person's opinion and perspective, but it is encouraging.

How is it tracking so far? A sub $200 million grosser? Or will it break out?

It seems like a major crowd pleaser.

If over $200 million domestic is breaking out, then I'm convinced that it will break out. $250 million is not assured, especially given the state of the domestic box office this year, but a good number of us think that it can achieve this milestone, too.

This kind of Internet buzz doesn't necessarily translate proportionately to box office gross. For what it's worth, in this forum there has been more pre-release buzz for Big Hero 6 than there had been for Frozen, and I think that movie did alright at the box office. In some other forums it is the opposite, but I guess princess musicals are what they want to talk about more. Generally speaking, people seem to be interested in seeing this movie, and the character Baymax has been an instant hook for it, while in comparison Interstellar has to strive for major acceptance from the general audience.

That's the biggest part of the audience, and Big Hero 6 sure seems to have four-quadrant appeal on top of that. If Wreck-It Ralph can gross $189 million (no offense intended to this fine movie, but its appeal for the general audience seems more limited), then Big Hero 6 should be able to gross quite a healthy sum.

And if it doesn't, then we'll blame it on the Asian protagonist...kidding on my part (I'm Asian myself, by the way--actually half-Caucasian like Hiro), but you know that it would happen (the actual blame would technically be on the public). ;) But it's not going to happen in this case, so never mind.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 4

100M+ in Japan would be crazy good for this, but could it possibly happen? American movies that take place in Japan, or have Japanese origins don't necessarily do well in Japan (Wolverine and 47 Ronin anyone?)

Then again, those were live action, and BH6 is animated, if that makes a difference. Frozen did 200M+ and if I remember correctly, Monsters U did 90M.

• Like 1

100M+ in Japan would be crazy good for this, but could it possibly happen?

I think it has the potential, although of course I'm not saying that it WILL.

American movies that take place in Japan, or have Japanese origins don't necessarily do well in Japan (Wolverine and 47 Ronin anyone?)

Some do very poorly indeed, but in the case of Big Hero 6, empirically, it seems that the Japanese are willing to give it chance, and I'm hopeful that they'll like it. And if they like it as much as I think there is a potential for, then $100+ million might be in play, even $150 million as I mentioned.

Then again, those were live action, and BH6 is animated, if that makes a difference.

It might in the sense that a fair number of their biggest blockbusters, including two of the top three all time, have come from certain specific animation studios, namely Studio Ghibli, Pixar, and now WDAS with Frozen. It might also be that they're more accustomed to seeing a mix between Japanese and foreign elements in their animated features, although I don't live in Japan and I haven't looked into this particular aspect with enough depth to say this with any certainty.

Frozen did 200M+ and if I remember correctly, Monsters U did 90M.

Frozen has grossed nearly $250 million (with a relatively weak yen, which works against it), and Big Hero 6 shares some elements that appeal to Japanese audiences. The latter is not going to be as successful (let's just say that it's unlikely to the extreme, although many had said this of Frozen, too), but I for one think that it has the potential to be big.

• Like 2

100M+ in Japan would be crazy good for this, but could it possibly happen? American movies that take place in Japan, or have Japanese origins don't necessarily do well in Japan (Wolverine and 47 Ronin anyone?)

Then again, those were live action, and BH6 is animated, if that makes a difference. Frozen did 200M+ and if I remember correctly, Monsters U did 90M.

Of course it makes a difference, Japanese love them much more than live movies.

I think we can all agree it will do very well in Japan, but how well definitely remains to be seen. To expect another Frozen or even Monsters, U is crazy.

Considering Disney's hot streak, I would like Tangled to be the minimum.

Now, bring on those reviews dammit.

Monsters U is not impossible for BH6, Frozen is probably impossible.

• Like 2

I know there's been some worry about the Japanese reception of BH6, but this is encouraging:

Here's a Japanese review of BH6: http://otakumode.com/news/544e3438fe25d42d762cefd6/Movie-Review-We-Attend-the-World%E2%80%99s-First-Screening-of-Big-Hero-6-!-Disney%E2%80%99s-Newest-Work-is-a-Story-About-the-%E2%80%9CBirth-of-a-Hero%E2%80%9D

It seems like this may be well received in Japan, which would be great for its overseas box office.

Here's a snippet:

"I recognized some parts of the city and found myself thinking “Is that Shinbashi?” and “Is that Shinjuku?”, and in the city there are boards written in Japanese, telephone polls and vending machines, and cars and buses driving by that appeared to have a “made in Japan” vibe. Many times, signs will be rewritten in Japanese for the Japanese dubbed version of animated films, but the version I saw was the subtitled version. Basically, from here on out people all over the world will see Disney’s love of Japan. Jealous?

Of course, the Japanese feel doesn’t end with the cityscape of San Fransokyo. This may touch on a few stereotypes, but, talking about Baymax’s kindness (and possibly form?), the director has commented on the diligence of the main character in working hard to achieve his goals and his unique idea that could also be called a waste of talent. In any case, while enjoying the film, I was awash in droves of love letters to all of us from Disney, messages that almost didn’t make it in time. It is a privilege that Japanese people are able to experience the film on this deeper level!"

And, speaking of Baymax:

"Disney has created many hugely popular characters over the years, but this is the birth of a new character (hero) whose name has been marvelously engraved on Disney’s history."

The reviewer sums it all up pretty well at the beginning:

" This film as well is a masterpiece that dispelled all doubts. Disney is in its element here, and because it differs from the so-called “Disney Princess” formula there is no need for comparison. Personally, though, it’s become a film I love even more than Frozen."

If their reaction is any indication, this movie should do wonderfully in the Japanese market!  I'm crossing my fingers!

It's so good to read this :D