Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Some Japan numbers

Corpse

Walt Disney Studio's Top Grossing Films (1980-)
image_waltdisneyanimationstudios1.jpg

01. ¥25.46 billion ($249.5 million)  - Frozen (2014) #3 All-Time
02. ¥4.90 billion ($40.2 million) - Dinosaur (2000)
03. ¥4.25 billion ($37.2 million) - Aladdin (1993)
04. ¥3.20 billion ($31.7 million) - The Lion King (1994)
05. ¥3.00 billion ($32.3 million) - Wreck-It Ralph (2013)
06. ¥2.91 billion ($24.5 million) - Lilo & Stitch (2003)
07. ¥2.80 billion ($26.2 million) - Tarzan (2000)
08. ¥2.68 billion ($23.1 million) - Chicken Little (2006)
09. ¥2.60 billion ($20.2 million) - Beauty and the Beast (1992)
10. ¥2.56 billion ($32.1 million) - Tangled (2011)
11. ¥2.30 billion ($19.3 million) - Peter Pan 2: Return to Neverland (2003)
12. ¥1.95 billion ($18.4 million) - The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
13. ¥1.65 billion ($17.4 million) - Bolt (2009)
14. ¥1.60 billion ($14.7 million) - Brother Bear (2004)
15. ¥1.28 billion ($10.6 million) - Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2002)
16. ¥1.20 billion ($8.9 million) - The Little Mermaid (1991)
17. ¥1.10 billion ($9.3 million) - Hercules (1997)
¥1 billion+

It only took Frozen 16/17 days to become Walt Disney's highest-grossing animated film of all-time, but Dinosaur held that record for nearly 14 years!

Frozen will end up more than doubling Dinosaur's total.

• Like 1

the two rotten reviews clearly show that they see the film as more than kids flick and compare it to the filmmakers' previous works. now, Frozen level magic doesn't come very often. 

they're all valid critical perspectives, just as the positive ones. The kids appeal seems certain, just how far can it reach out to adult audience. 

Agreed.  It sounds excellent for kids.  

I do also notice that there is a tendency to compare this to all the recent superhero movies (and to Frozen) rather than a lot of similar fare.  For a lot of people, nothing is going to compare to Frozen.

On Tumblr and other SJ sites, Fred has been the subject of a lot of controversy, considering how he's essentially been "whitewashed" from the Ainu, a Japanese culture historically eschewed in media representation, from the original comic. (The same could be said about Wasabi and Honey Lemon, to a lesser extent) As someone who doesn't let issues of race/gender representation detriment a film unless they really go to far, this kind of information is important to keep in mind as we explore these kinds of movies. I mean, it does make sense why Disney does this, (the same reason pretty much everyone else does) and it's good that it tries for legitimate diversity in the film, but it's still not quite the best route in that regard. Again, this doesn't affect my excitement for the movie, but it's easy to see why people would be upset.

Having said that, it annoys me how often Disney is singled out for having bland/white character designs, but people don't bat an eye when other animation studios do it. I mean, look at Studio Ghibli's heroines for Pete's sake!

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 6

On Tumblr and other SJ sites, Fred has been the subject of a lot of controversy, considering how he's essentially been "whitewashed" from the Ainu, a Japanese culture historically eschewed in media representation, from the original comic. (The same could be said about Wasabi and Honey Lemon, to a lesser extent) As someone who doesn't let issues of race/gender representation detriment a film unless they really go to far, this kind of information is important to keep in mind as we explore these kinds of movies. I mean, it does make sense why Disney does this, (the same reason pretty much everyone else does) and it's good that it tries for legitimate diversity in the film, but it's still not quite the best route in that regard. Again, this doesn't affect my excitement for the movie, but it's easy to see why people would be upset.

Having said that, it annoys me how often Disney is singled out for having bland/white character designs, but people don't bat an eye when other animation studios do it. I mean, look at Studio Ghibli's heroines for Pete's sake!

I get that it would upset people... but at the same time I also know Western society's general track record with actually portraying Japan (and Japanese characters well).  There's a very good chance that the original source material wasn't exactly a stellar representation, especially considering the 'omg manga is popular, let's make some of our own' trend that was going on when BH6's comic came out.  

Other than the name and the character names, virtually everything about BH6 is completely different than the comic... as much as people may gripe about it (and from my experience, the ones most likely to gripe are rabid folks on the internet who have probably never even read the original book) it may be that the changes were ultimately a good thing.

Changing the location, for example... a lot of people think they can capitalize on manga popularity by setting something in Japan and making it very Japanese... except they have only the outer trappings and none of the actual content...  I can guarantee that would piss off the Japanese audiences more than this melding does.  ...and you'd get the Japanophiles (and a lot of the same people griping now) talking about Disney's cultural appropriation and how they should leave Japan-based stuff to the Japanese.

Making the location a hybrid allows them the freedom to explore the culture while seeming less like they're appropriating just to cash in on the popularity... but that same hybridization is also what makes the racially diverse cast sensible.  Having them all Japanese in the mixed setting might have been odd (and again, you'd get people griping about lack of diversity) so a few tweaks aren't necessarily a bad thing.  

Also... why are people complaining about just Fred?  I'm surprised they're not griping about Honey Lemon too.  Maybe it's because she's a girl and it's fine to have white girls in things as long as there's no white guys screwing up the diversity factor.  I'm getting bad memories of some of the feminist reviews of BH6 where they were more invested in giving the movie a bad score for not being feminine enough but dismissed the fact that it's giving screentime to a very underrepresented segment of the populace, even if two of them are guys.  Apparently the movie would only be a win for them if it was all about Maria... except they hated her for being 'too strong and not realistic enough'... but I digress...

People won't cut Disney any slack.  It's a big thing nowadays to vilify Disney.  I won't say that some of it's not justified, but it's also not really equal either.  I saw few people complaining about Dreamworks features and their tendency to focus on white male leads (or the occasional animal lead, though those tend to be voiced by white guys and are basically white guys in fur coats).  It's all just trends in the fandoms and the internet in general.

I don't think the general audience is going to care one way or the other... and based on the reviews I've seen, the rest of the group isn't really around much anyway so it's kind of the Hiro and Baymax show.

TL;DR: People always find something to complain about.  The GA won't care.  It's a step in the right direction and it'll be fine.  

Also... a lot of social justice bloggers are kind of nuts.  I guarantee if the characters were all Japanese it'd be complaints about 'culture appropriation' and 'why aren't the women more represented in this'.  I know several exceptions but they're not as loud and active as the crazies... this is true of all fandoms.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 3

But Wreck it Ralph kinda flopped in France right? And this more like WIR than Frozen and Tangled. That's why I'm a bit worried for its France (and Germany) performance.

You can't compare, it's about old videogames and arcade most of the time, it's not appealing for many people.

I loved the movie but it didn't target a wide audience with such a theme, Big Hero 6 targets a much wider audience.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 2

The French version for people interested ^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy_wrVX9kp4

Do you know what's odd? Because the movie itself is a mash-up between two different cultures, watching trailers in the language of a third culture makes it seem like even more of a mash-up. :) I don't get this sense at all from other movies.

France is one area where I don't think that's as much an issue.

The same goes for Japan, to take another example regarding video piracy, as we saw earlier this year with Frozen.

China though...

It's generally far, far worse there, but Big Hero 6 should still do alright in China (although I'm hoping for more than just that).

What's that? Big Hero 6 might beat out Interstellar on opening weekend?

They've been tracking pretty closely of late, and with Big Hero 6 trending upward, it could potentially pull ahead by this weekend.

But Wreck it Ralph kinda flopped in France right? And this more like WIR than Frozen and Tangled. That's why I'm a bit worried for its France (and Germany) performance.

I think that these two movies are different enough to make direct comparisons difficult.

• Like 2

Do you know what's odd? Because the movie itself is a mash-up between two different cultures, watching trailers in the language of a third culture makes it seem like even more of a mash-up. :) I don't get this sense at all from other movies.

You know what I found funny?  For some reason seeing the trailer in French made me think of the Lupin III anime, even though the two are completely unrelated and really nothing alike.

• Like 1

Ahaha in some way you're right ^^

• Like 1

Also... why are people complaining about just Fred?  I'm surprised they're not griping about Honey Lemon too.  Maybe it's because she's a girl and it's fine to have white girls in things as long as there's no white guys screwing up the diversity factor.  I'm getting bad memories of some of the feminist reviews of BH6 where they were more invested in giving the movie a bad score for not being feminine enough but dismissed the fact that it's giving screentime to a very underrepresented segment of the populace, even if two of them are guys.  Apparently the movie would only be a win for them if it was all about Maria... except they hated her for being 'too strong and not realistic enough'... but I digress...

This controversy about Fred is probably from a very very small bunch of people, a white man in an American movie is quite normal..I love diversity and the US is really an impressive country in such an area but white men have the right to be in a US movie for God's sake! You just can't dismiss tens of million people in the US only because of their race and sex if you do that you're racist and sexist, plain and simple.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

83% now

Another Rotten review was just put up by Newark Star-Ledger.

It's well-realized visually, of course - we even see the shadows that rain-streaked windows throw on walls - but everything and everyone feels dully mechanical.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/big_hero_6/reviews/

Edited by Mojoguy