Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

I think the whole "white washing" complaint might possibly be less specifically white washing and really people just using that term generically to describe how Disney is changing things to make the story more palatable to an American audience (or catering to the people who demand more diversity in their movies). 

For instance unless I'm mistaken, besides Fred the entire cast would have been Japanese, hired and formed by a Japanese government agency. Furthermore what is the point, really, to change the home location of the team from Tokyo, to a fake city that feels kind of like Tokyo/kind of like San Francisco and is located in America? 

Questions like that are probably a little bit of what they might be referring to (is my guess anyway).

Considering how much has been changed, it feels much less like Big Hero 6 and more like, "A super hero group of Disney animated characters who just so happen to have a specific power-set, happen to have certain names, and happen to call their group Big Hero 6" because honestly the similarities don't go much further.

I am glad that so far it seems like Disney is making it known that this will be loosely based on Marvel characters. Hopefully the movie will generate enough curiosity into the real Big Hero 6 that they make something of a return to print, though as one of their previous incarnations rather than the ones Disney has dreamed up.

-------

I know (or at least I hope) that everybody can google things on their own...but here's the wiki link for the comic book team Big Hero 6:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Hero_6

I highly suggest browsing through some of the character pages (nearly all of them are incredibly short, something like a couple paragraphs if that). The info on Fred and Ginger leaves something to be desired, but just take a look and you'll see how cool/popular they might have been if they were released 10 or so years later.

Edited by animus

I don't buy this theory of whitewashing. Hollywood is populated with ultra liberal Democrats. Surely they can't be racist. :D :D :D :D

Seriously though , Hollywood will do whatever makes a profit. If that means shooting in Canada for tax breaks while complaining that the US govt should raise taxes for the rest of the people or casting a black Idris Elba as the whitest of Norse gods.

If anything they go out of their way not to offend anyone who's not a straight white guy. The chances of me getting mugged by an all white gang or an all black gang or an all Hispanic gang is much more higher than the multiethnic multicultural gangs that they show in Hollywood movies.

The chances of me getting mugged by an all white gang or an all black gang or an all Hispanic gang is much more higher than the multiethnic multicultural gangs that they show in Hollywood movies.

Don't forget the gangs who took seven years of ballet, two of jazz tap and can snap fingers in catchy rhythm. :P

• Like 1

Just like Frozen's teaser, Big Hero 6's teaser was predictable.Still anticipating a great movie however.

Frozen's teaser is about Olaf and Sven which have nothing to do with the movie while BH6's teaser is closer to the movie but probably it will not what the whole will be made of. I'm guessing it will not be the focus of the story but rather something else entirely.

Also, if you able to predict Frozen's story based from the teaser then I'll be really amaze for that feat

Edited by phantom

Damn right that trailer's fantastic

I remember being pissed at my film theory teacher for showing us this trailer for predicts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ieZ4f-DqM

Then we predicted 18M and that was history

Damn right that trailer's fantastic

I remember being pissed at my film theory teacher for showing us this trailer for predicts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ieZ4f-DqM

Then we predicted 18M and that was history

What a terrible trailer. I really have no feckin' clue on what GA deems appropriate or good. I thought Tangled's trailer was ass and it made a tonne too. Princess and the Frog's was better than both combined but it made nothing. Talking about OWs.

Never understood why everyone never liked both Dragon 1/2 trailers either. I was convinced Dragon 1 was great from its first trailer.

Regarding Honey Lemon, I sure hope they don't use "sassy" voice. I despise sassy voice.

• Like 1

That first flight scene sounds like a must see in 3D. If it comes close to the first flight of Hiccup and Toothless it must look spectacular,

My favorite flight scene in animation is the one at the beginning of The Rescuers Down Under. Now THAT would have been glorious in 3D!  :wub:

How could you tell that with the Olaf/Sven teaser?  :blink:

Maybe he/she meant that it will be happy ending? Then the answer is yes, it will really be happy ending because it's a Disney movie...

Or maybe not with BH6? You never know with Disney as of these days, they love their plot twist. Probably we'll get lot of feels on it

Edited by phantom

So will the actors that play the BH6 characters wear masks in the Disney Parks? I think they do that for all the younger teen characters like Vanellope. All the princess characters have been played by actresses without masks since the characters are suppose to be around 18 years old. :unsure: