Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

No the comics creators themselves, the writer and the artist.

I think they were work for hire. Marvel owns it completely.

Iron Man 3 pretty much took a ton from the Extremis storyline from the comics, but author Warren Ellis was paid nothing. Ellis didn't seem to care.

I think they were work for hire. Marvel owns it completely. Iron Man 3 pretty much took a ton from the Extremis storyline from the comics, but author Warren Ellis was paid nothing. Ellis didn't seem to care.

That's not that bad. The creator of Wolverine has seen more royalties come in from the Dark Knight movies (due to him creating Morgan Freeman's character) than he has ever seen from all the Xmen movies combined.
  • Like 1

They should at least put in "Based on Marvel characters" somewhere in the promos. This is going against Interstellar. Two different demographics but we know how a more adult-skewing film can affect an animated family movie (TH2/KFP2 in 2011, 22JS/HTTYD2 this year). At least acknowledging the Marvel connection can catch the attention of the larger mainstream. Why is marketing not playing up this angle when the brand is HOTTTT right now?

"Arguably" is the key word. WDAS is hot right now for ushering in a comeback for the princess films/fairytale musicals. BH6 doesn't fit that mold. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be Rescuers Down Under to Tangled/Frozen's Little Mermaid/Beauty and the Beast, is all.

The most recent animated superhero movies were Astro Boy, Megamind, and Rise of the Guardians, two which were flops. I would think Disney has learned what went with wrong with those movies.

While Frozen had a hell of a better release date than BH6, better release date doesn't mean everything with Guardians flopping over its Thanksgiving weekend.

"Arguably" is the key word. WDAS is hot right now for ushering in a comeback for the princess films/fairytale musicals. BH6 doesn't fit that mold. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be Rescuers Down Under to Tangled/Frozen's Little Mermaid/Beauty and the Beast, is all.

That's not happening. Its marketing is already far better than the Rescuers.

• Like 1

Your timing is off.

That sacrificial lamb was Winnie the Pooh.

If anything, this is Pocahontas...or maybe Frozen was Aladdin and this will be the Lion King? :D

They should at least put in "Based on Marvel characters" somewhere in the promos. This is going against Interstellar. Two different demographics but we know how a more adult-skewing film can affect an animated family movie (TH2/KFP2 in 2011, 22JS/HTTYD2 this year). At least acknowledging the Marvel connection can catch the attention of the larger mainstream. Why is marketing not playing up this angle when the brand is HOTTTT right now?

They already use "From Frozen's creators" it's more than enough.

They already use "From Frozen's creators" it's more than enough.

Disney also used "From the creators of Wreck-It Ralph" in both trailers. Not sure why they don't advertise this fact at the very start of the trailers, instead of the middle of them when someone can blink and miss it.

Why does this keep getting compared to Pocahontas? Just because it comes after a big Disney breakout?Pocahontas was another big musical coming after Lion King, it had a lot higher expectations inside and outside Disney.And I already told the story about how Pocahontas was Katzenberg's passion project, how he thought it was going to be the film to win Best Picture, how he exercised his influence on the movie with that outcome in mind, how everyone working on it thought it was going to be a big important hit, how a lot of people at the studio wanted to be working on Pocahontas and not The Lion King because THEY thought Pocahontas was going to be huge while TLK was the B-picture. And after TLK, even with Katzenberg gone, expectations only grew BECAUSE of how well TLK did.This is absolutely not the same thing. Nobody expected this to be a monster before Frozen, nobody should expect it to be a monster AFTER Frozen. Sure, it'll get a bump, but at this point I still feel like $250m is the ceiling, and I doubt that many people out there expect it to do higher, at least not easily.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3