diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

I wouldn't be surprised if it's pants tbh, the topic seems to be very generic as is the title. I was sort of hoping that the acting would be strong enough to counter this (big Son Hyun-ju fan) but maybe it was too much to ask :rolleyes:

I do wonder with the extremely strong reviews coming in from abroad, what kind of word of mouth Mad Max will receive upon release here in Korea. A Kingsman type of run would be awesome :)

I really didn't like CHRONICLES OF EVIL. It's harmless but an awfully generic investigative/revenge thriller. I like Son Hyun-ju too but producers seem content to ask him to repeat his HIDE AND SEEK performance.

Next week's release, THE TREACHEROUS, is even worse. I imagine it'll have a decent opening due to curiosity over its ero elements but bad WOM will push it straight down. THE SHAMELESS, out the week after, is much better, but I daresay it won't light the box office on fire. It's too slow for a mainstream audience. Basically, no Korean hits for May I think...

I really didn't like CHRONICLES OF EVIL. It's harmless but an awfully generic investigative/revenge thriller. I like Son Hyun-ju too but producers seem content to ask him to repeat his HIDE AND SEEK performance.

Next week's release, THE TREACHEROUS, is even worse. I imagine it'll have a decent opening due to curiosity over its ero elements but bad WOM will push it straight down. THE SHAMELESS, out the week after, is much better, but I daresay it won't light the box office on fire. It's too slow for a mainstream audience. Basically, no Korean hits for May I think...

Haha yes. I've heard people mention him as the "Korean Liam Neeson", in a positive way admittedly since he has come to represent the thriller/action film genre to some degree, but I think it's a limitation for an actor to only play the same roles. I think he went on record to say he wanted to try other genres such as comedy/melodrama etc but the roles weren't coming in. Hopefully he'll get his chance to diversify his filmography genre.

And yeah zero surprises from Korean films throughout 2015. A small number of films will post massive numbers during summer and winter seasons and the film insustry will give themselves a self congratulatory pat on the back for another successful year probabaly :rolleyes:

Edited by Rsyu

Thursday Box Office (May 14) 

-Admissions (Total adm)  Daily%  Gross  (weekly%)   [sC]    {wk}   <Title>

1.   112,445       (124,843)       --       $776K        (--)        [691]  {Wk1} <The Chronicles of Evil> NEW 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.     87,506         (91,824)       --       $686K        (--)        [762]  {Wk1} <Mad Max: Fury Road> NEW 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.     43,844    (9,638,987)  -37.7%   $305K   (-58.8%)    [603]  {Wk2} <The Avengers: Age of Ultron>   
4.     15,645    (1,353,692)  -54.2%   $109K   (-63.8%)    [343]  {Wk3} <Coin Locker Girl> 
5.       5,035           (6,740)      --        $35K         (--)        [230]  {Wk1} <While we're young> NEW  

Total admissions: 296,052
Total Gross: $2,115,252
May Total: $61,718,679

Cumulative gross
The Avengers: Age of Ultron: $76.06 million

Current presales (Midnight)

01. 31.7% (59,725) Mad Max: Fury Road
02. 23.5% (44,173) 
The Avengers: Age of Ultron
03. 23.1% (43,488) The Chronicles of Evil
04.   3.1%   (5,780) Spy
05.   3.0%   (5,693) The Treacherous

• Like 3

Another bad drop for Age of Ultron. I'm beginning to feel that some of our comments on it's first Friday was justified. The discrepancy between weekends/holidays and normal weekdays is massive and for the most hyped film in history, its post-holiday drops have been brutal. It's already a success in its own right being so close to 10 million admissions, a feat only achieved by 3 foreign releases to date. But it has continuously throughout its run showed signs of average word of mouth that was periodically drowned out by amazing business on holidays. 

Mad Max currently has a 9.22/10.0 Netizen rating on Naver which is really good. Seeing it this weekend to see what the fuss is all about :)

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 2

Another bad drop for Age of Ultron. I'm beginning to feel that some of our comments on it's first Friday was justified. The discrepancy between weekends/holidays and normal weekdays is massive and for the most hyped film in history, its post-holiday drops have been brutal. It's already a success in its own right being so close to 10 million admissions, a feat only achieved by 3 foreign released to date. But it has continuously throughout its run showed signs of average word of mouth that was periodically drowned out by amazing business on holidays. 

Mad Max currently has a 9.22/10.0 Netizen rating on Naver which is really good. Seeing it this weekend to see what the fuss is all about :)

Just back from my screening. It's sensational, best action film of the decade so far for me. People actually clapped at the end of the film. While common in some places (namely the US), I've never seen that happen in Korea.

• Like 5

Just back from my screening. It's sensational, best action film of the decade so far for me. People actually clapped at the end of the film. While common in some places (namely the US), I've never seen that happen in Korea.

Just finished watching it too

Is just one 2 hour action scene :D

The small crowd all seemed to like it though and the cgv in군자 was a new experience :)

Wow, yeah I've never seen people clap at the end of a film either although my Frozen screening came close (scattered applause at Let it go). Sounds like a lot of fun and audiences seems to be reacting to it. Thinking it can leg it to at least 2.5 million admissions with a fair shot at 3 million.

Friday Box Office (May 15) 

1.   165,021      (291,952)   +44.1%  $1.20M       (--)        [716]  {Wk1} <The Chronicles of Evil>  
2.   143,970      (237,653)   +60.5%  $1.18M       (--)        [796]  {Wk1} <Mad Max: Fury Road>  
3.     76,044    (9,715,793)  +71.4%  $559K   (-48.1%)    [630]  {Wk4} <The Avengers: Age of Ultron>   
4.     16,228    (1,370,284)  +2.11%  $124K   (-68.8%)    [352]  {Wk3} <Coin Locker Girl> 
5.       9,146       (188,052)  +146.%  $61K     (-64.4%)    [222]  {Wk2} <Unfriended>  

Total admissions: 448,503
Total Gross: $3,390,258
May Total: $65,108,937

Cumulative gross
The Avengers: Age of Ultron: $76.62 million

01. 35.0% (92,876) Mad Max: Fury Road
02. 22.7% (60,098) 
03. 21.6% (57,373) The Chronicles of Evil
04.   4.2% (11,169) The Treacherous
05.   3.4%   (8,888) Spy

• Like 4

If Age of Ultron shows similar Friday to Saturday increase as last week, it should do 175K admissions on Saturday and maybe 155K Sunday. That would give it a shot at 10 million admissions by the end of the week. 

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 2

Mad Max should hopefully win sat/sun.

with that kind of presale,definitely

Presales are a good indicator but not conclusive. Mad Max has been ahead of The Chronicles of Evil (TCOE) since it's release but even so, dailies have been lagging behind. A bigger percentage increase for MM4 over yesterday compared to TCOE is a positive sign but the weekend is a toss-up in my opinion. Like dropsicaldackel said though, MM4 will most likely win over the course of the run. 

Saturday Box Office (May 16) 

1.   288,241      (584,044)   +70.7%  $2.18M       (--)        [772]  {Wk1} <The Chronicles of Evil>  
2.   285,120      (526,472)   +93.1%  $2.35M       (--)        [795]  {Wk1} <Mad Max: Fury Road>  
3.   164,067   (9,880,789)   +113.%  $1.22M  (-52.4%)    [668]  {Wk4} <The Avengers: Age of Ultron>   
4.     26,764   (1,397,393)   +61.5%  $211K    (-76.1%)    [359]  {Wk4} <Unfriended>  

5.     14,117      (259,690)   +534.%  $96K      (-21.7%)    [209]  {Wk4} <Dino Time> 

Total admissions: 843,397
Total Gross: $6,512,613
May Total: $71,631,550

Cumulative gross
The Avengers: Age of Ultron: $77.84 million

01. 35.1% (73,539) Mad Max: Fury Road
02. 20.8% (43,493) 
03. 20.4% (42,773) The Chronicles of Evil
04.   6.0% (12,650) The Treacherous
05.   4.4%   (9,274) Spy

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 3

I think there's a good chance that Mad Max: Fury Road could overtake The Chronicles of Evil on Sunday.

Also good jump for Age of Ultron, proving once again that it's a "weekend film". It will pass 10 million admissions on Sunday. 

• Like 2

I think there's a good chance that Mad Max: Fury Road could overtake The Chronicles of Evil on Sunday.

Also good jump for Age of Ultron, proving once again that it's a "weekend film". It will pass 10 million admissions on Sunday. 

it's a weekend and holiday movie  :D

• Like 1

The Avengers: age of ultron joined the 10 million admissions club today at 5:20PM local time, on the 25th day of its release.

2015051701001909700133891_99_20150517182

It becomes only the fourth foreign release to reach this milestone in the history of the Korean box office. The other 3 films were Avatar (2009), Frozen (2014) and Interstellar (2014)

2015051713554981707_1_99_20150517174904.

[10M admissions foreign releases in Korea]

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 5