diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

Another promising title for you is Okja (working title). It's the next Bong joon-ho film (director of snowpiercer if you didn't know) and is set to be filmed in both New York and South Korea :) personally really interested in this.

That one is on the top of my list since it was announced :D Bong Joon Ho spoke to me on a personal level. I love Snowpiercer. And as far as I'm concerned, his filmography is perfect thus far.

I read interview of him saying that he wants to focus on smaller projects now (which is well...good) and not something bigger in the scale of Snowpiercer (which is a shame too) Must be burnt out from all that drama with the Weinstein bros.

• Like 1

That one is on the top of my list since it was announced :D Bong Joon Ho spoke to me on a personal level. I love Snowpiercer. And as far as I'm concerned, his filmography is perfect thus far.

I read interview of him saying that he wants to focus on smaller projects now (which is well...good) and not something bigger in the scale of Snowpiercer (which is a shame too) Must be burnt out from all that drama with the Weinstein bros.

I don't mind him doing small scale films but about Okja, I don't think it will be small at all. According to news reports It's expected to fall somewhere between The host and Snowpiercer so $11-40 million ish which is a pretty big budget for most Korean films.

• Like 1

Another promising title for you is Okja (working title). It's the next Bong joon-ho film (director of snowpiercer if you didn't know) and is set to be filmed in both New York and South Korea :) personally really interested in this.

I think you're right about the Colonial Era, we've got THE SILENCED next month, ASSASSINATION in the summer, FINGERSMITH (new Park Chan-wook) next year and SECRET AGENT (new Kim Jee-woon), also next year, to name just some heavy hitters.

HOW TO STEAL A DOG was quite good, and I know that Little Big Pictures, which is a production/distribution company that was set up as a collaboration between 10 prominent production companies to fight the vertically integrated studios, were very disappointed with the result. The director of the company (which is really a rotating position between the company heads) stepped down as a result. The film was re-released earlier this year, but barely added to its total. However, despite the relative size and health of the Korean industry, local kids film don't do well here and are rarely made. As a result, KOFIC (whose new chairman comes from an animation background) is aggressively trying to stimulate growth in this sector with grants, etc. but we'll see. That's still a market that the US (and to a lesser extent Japan) has a firm handle on here.

Bong Joon-ho is my absolute favorite filmmaker and I'm dying to see OKJA! Alas, there's no way it gets released before 2017. :(

• Like 2

I don't mind him doing small scale films but about Okja, I don't think it will be small at all. According to news reports It's expected to fall somewhere between The host and Snowpiercer so $11-40 million ish which is a pretty big budget for most Korean films.

What does Okja mean? I love Snowpiercer and I want to be excited about the director"s new movie but I need to know what the movie is about first. :P

Thursday Box Office (May 7) 

-Admissions (Total adm)  Daily%  Gross  (weekly%)    [sC]    {wk}   <Title>

1.   105,194    (8,571,330)  -21.3%   $791K    (-69.5%)   [1,304] {Wk3} <The Avengers: Age of Ultron> 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.     42,424       (950,417)  -12.4%   $300K    (-52.0%)     [481]  {Wk2} <Coin Locker girl
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.     21,201         (21,415)      --        $144K        (--)          [293] {Wk1} <Unfriended> NEW  
4.     16,071         (18,456)      --        $112K        (--)          [387] {Wk1} <Love Clinic> NEW 
5.       9,803       (343,624)  -44.6%   $63K     (-65.7%)      [310] {Wk2} <Enemies In-law>  

Total admissions: 233,171
Total Gross: $1,658,641
May Total: $43,711,773

Cumulative gross
The Avengers: Age of Ultron: $67.81 million

Current presales (Midnight)

01. 62.1% (109,271) The Avengers: Age of Ultron
02.   9.2%   (16,189) 
Coin Locker Girl
03.   3.7%     (6,481) Love Clinic
04.   3.6%     (6,353) Mad Max: Fury Road
05.   3.1%     (5,533) Enemies In-Law 

• Like 5

What does Okja mean? I love Snowpiercer and I want to be excited about the director"s new movie but I need to know what the movie is about first. :P

Not sure. Bong joon-ho hasn't revealed anything about the movie other than that it's going to be filmed in the US and Korea and it will be partially in English and mostly in Korean. Presumably the female lead is youngish too. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I think we can say Avatar's record is safe.

Yeah, 12m admissions seems to be the upper echelon. If it behaves like IM 3 from here on out then it tops off around 11.2m

It's 3rd Thur numbers  are on par with IM3s second Thur #s (and aren't too far off the first Thur numbers for Thor (110) and TWS (135))

IM3's 2nd Thursday - 112k ~ 6.40M (adm) on way to a 9m finish.

Then again it seems to be behaving a bit more like a w/e movie than IM3.

Edited by TalismanRing

Nothing to panic, of course, but the drop is definitely not good. It should have stayed flat today. If anything, this signals that the holds for the movie aren't gonna be that good. Although we should also keep in mind that this has, as of now atleast, come across as a weekend movie. There should be a healthy increase tomorrow but if this is any indication (unlike the first 2 weekdays) of the movie's run to follow, then I think 12.5-12.8m admissions is the highest this will reach.

Edited by Infernus

Friday Box Office (May 8) 

-Admissions (Total adm)  Daily%  Gross  (weekly%)    [sC]    {wk}   <Title>

1.   144,050    (8,716,445)  +35.5%  $1.13M   (-81.4%)   [1,294] {Wk3} <The Avengers: Age of Ultron> 
2.     50,588    (1,001,823)  +16.8%  $384k     (-62.6%)     [494]  {Wk2} <Coin Locker girl
3.     24,445         (46,540)  +11.8%  $167k          (--)         [326] {Wk1} <Unfriended>   
4.     20,144         (38,989)  +22.4%  $151k          (--)         [398] {Wk1} <Love Clinic> 
5.     15,119       (358,821)  +53.0%  $104k     (-68.3%)     [328] {Wk2} <Enemies In-law>  

Total admissions: 293,502
Total Gross: $2,206,993
May Total: $45,918,766

Cumulative gross
The Avengers: Age of Ultron: $68.94 million

Current presales (Midnight)

01. 61.5% (144,573) The Avengers: Age of Ultron
02. 10.1%   (23,683) 
Coin Locker Girl
03.   3.5%     (8,238) Dino Time
04.   3.2%     (7,610) Mad Max: Fury Road
05.   2.8%     (6,550) Love Clinic 

• Like 3

Not sure if this is correct but I'm reading 145k Friday, which would be a total collapse

Not a total collapse it's the new normal for AoU. Tbf increases were crap all round for all films and AoU increase was one of the higher ones. 

• Like 1