diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

22 hours ago, Flip said:

Inside Out 2 (T-5): 47.3k (+17k). Let’s see how the weekend goes

Inside Out 2 (T-4): 67.1k (+19.8k). Good growth, especially considering I took the numbers a bit later than the actual mark yesterday. The big day helped it pull ahead of KFP4, and I think it will reach Mario by T-2.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Flip said:

Predicting (as of right now): 315k OD, 1.25M 5-day OW, 3.9M total

You think 4m admits is possible?

Also, 

Reservation rate once again rises to 17.8 percent, close to overtaking Wonderland in reservation rate. 

Wonka:

T-3: 74.5k

T-0: 177.6k

OD: 179.6k (culture day)

5-day OW: 786.7k

Total: 3.53m admits.

Just another comp, expect Inside Out 2 to pace ahead of this 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Also, 

Reservation rate once again rises to 17.8 percent, close to overtaking Wonderland in reservation rate. 

I think it’s definitely possible, the thing is with animation WOM is extremely important, OD is almost entirely based on presales/ if there’s a holiday so it’s not that hard to predict, but the total run is hard to predict just based off an animation’s presales. Also, it’s hard to compare it to previous animated movies for two reasons:

1, presales functioned very differently pre pandemic, animated movies would be much weaker with presales than now and their OD/OW ratio was much higher back than. 2, almost all the big animated movies (Inside Out, Elemental, Zootopia, Suzume, Slam Dunk) had exceptional legs, which are impossible to predict for a movie before it comes out. The only large animated movies (3.3m+ admits that weren’t very leggy) are Frozen II (the opening was too crazy to compare), TS4, Incredibles 2, DM3. But it’s also hard to directly compare those to Inside Out 2 since there was much more competition for those movies than IO2 will have.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Also, 

Also, just on its own it’s hard to tell how frontloaded IO2 will be. I’m mainly comparing the multipliers off OD/OW with Rise of Gru (I think it should have slightly better WOM and since it has significantly less competition it should have a larger IM), but it could go any way since rise of Gru is really the only pandemic film that did decently w/o crazy legs (Mario is weird since it increased on 2nd weekend due to children’s day falling on its 2nd Friday). If presales really increase for Inside Out, than that proves there’s a decent amount of fan demand so maybe it should be compared to non animated movies

That’s fair. I do think that it could make at least 25m or more from South Korea and with Mexico and Brazil looking strong, we could be seeing a massive hit on our hands regardless. But my prediction is 4.1m admits. Lack of competition and good reviews and word of mouth could propel it. 

What’s the lowest you think it’ll go? Worst case scenario?

5 hours ago, Flip said:

Predicting (as of right now): 315k OD, 1.25M 5-day OW, 3.9M total

If WOM is as strong as say Elemental then Total can go way higher. Its a market that can have amazing legs as well. Only time will tell if that can happen for this movie. 

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

If WOM is as strong as say Elemental then Total can go way higher. Its a market that can have amazing legs as well. Only time will tell if that can happen for this movie. 

I feel like it’s nigh impossible to have elemental WOM, since it basically became an event movie (probably due to connection with the director) which won’t happen for Inside Out 2. Also, there could be some local movie that goes crazy at the end of June, or no local movie. Who knows?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

That’s fair. I do think that it could make at least 25m or more from South Korea and with Mexico and Brazil looking strong, we could be seeing a massive hit on our hands regardless. But my prediction is 4.1m admits. Lack of competition and good reviews and word of mouth could propel it. 

What’s the lowest you think it’ll go? Worst case scenario?

Worst case is probably 2.2m admits, right around Rise of Gru. There’s no way it opens lower than Minions 2, but if it has mediocre WOM 80% CGV legs would be bad. I don’t think that will happen but it’s a possibility

2 minutes ago, Flip said:

I feel like it’s nigh impossible to have elemental WOM, since it basically became an event movie (probably due to connection with the director) which won’t happen for Inside Out 2. Also, there could be some local movie that goes crazy at the end of June, or no local movie. Who knows?

Elemental is not the good comp. But there have been other movies which have had great legs without a korean director. 

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Elemental is not the good comp. But there have been other movies which have had great legs without a korean director. 

True, but none of them sans Frozen or Kung Fu Panda 2 opened anywhere near where IO2 will

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 11:10 AM, Flip said:

Inside Out 2 (T-4): 67.1k (+19.8k). Good growth, especially considering I took the numbers a bit later than the actual mark yesterday. The big day helped it pull ahead of KFP4, and I think it will reach Mario by T-2.

Inside Out 2: (T-3): 89.2k (+22.1k). Very strong growth. I think it will reach 250k by T-0

• Like 1

Yeah Inside Out 2's potential OW combined with Elemental's legs would be absolute madness. Didn't Elemental have like a 16.6x multi? Combine the two, and you'd have the biggest movie in South Korean history, which probably won't happen. To say the least.

Reservation rate has jumped massively, now 28.1% for Inside Out 2, and is now the number one most reserved. Should reach 30%. I wonder what’s the highest reservation rate for a film in South Korea 

23 hours ago, Flip said:

Inside Out 2: (T-3): 89.2k (+22.1k). Very strong growth. I think it will reach 250k by T-0

Inside Out 2: (T-2): 123.0k (+32.8k). Very good. 

• Like 5

On 6/9/2024 at 11:03 AM, Flip said:

Inside Out 2: (T-2): 123.0k (+32.8k). Very good. 

Inside Out 2 (T-1): 180.8k (+57.8k) presales can maybe finish at 300k, and if they do I think 350k OD is likelier than not

• Like 1
  • Astonished 4