diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

I read somewhere that TASM ll is now just 6% behind TASM.

TASM only fell 28% on its second weekend. TASM2 dropped 30% on Friday and 48% on Saturday. So I think by tomorrow it should be between 15 or 20% under TASM. What do you think Rsyu? You are the expert here! TASM cume after 2 weekends $25.68m according to BOM.
  • Like 1

IMO, ASM staying flat in many markets is not what most of us thought it would do internationally.  Many thought it would increase.  So if it stays flat in sK and Russia and others, then it could still go higher than last time because of South America and China.

IMO, ASM staying flat in many markets is not what most of us thought it would do internationally.  Many thought it would increase.  So if it stays flat in sK and Russia and others, then it could still go higher than last time because of South America and China.

I don't want to sound pessimist because everyone is still excited about the OD in Brazil but TASM2 is not doing better than TASM in Latin America. TASM2 legs are not good and the exchange rate doesn't help it at all. As soon as I have this weekend numbers I am going to compare them and you will see what I am saying. I am not implying that TASM2 is bombing or something like that, just that it is not doing as good as the first one, not even as good as TWS and in some latin american markets it's even under Noah.
  • Like 3

Ok TASM grossed $25.68m by the end of it's 2nd week. So far TASM2 is tracking far behind in admissions, it should be just under 3m admissions by sunday compared to 3.3m admissions of TASM. In gross TASM2, despite the aid of holidays, is still lagging behind but not as much. Estimates for total gross by saturday was $21.23M. If it pulls off another saturday to sunday drop of -3.2% like last week, it will be somewhere in the vicinity of $23-23.5M so it'll be lagging behind by around 10% in gross. It's only a rough outline I'm afraid, I don't have my computer with me at present so I'm researching and typing this all on my smartphone, I'll post something more detailed in the evening.

• Like 7

SK Daily Box Office (05/04)

Posted Image

Daily box office rose in general for Sunday over Saturday which is pretty unusual but understandable because holidays extend until Tuesday of this week. The Fatal Encounter ended it's Opening week strong, blitzing past 1.6M admissions in just 5 days. Post holiday drop should give us an idea of where this might end. 

TASM2 also rose over saturday and will pass the 3M admissions mark today (monday), the 13th day of it's release. It's gross stands at approximately $23.8M right now a mere 7% behind TASM's gross by it's 2nd week. Depending on it's post holiday legs it looks like it might end on par with TASM or fall a little short. 

Rio2 did decently on it's opening week grossing a total of around $1.8M, around half the total gross Rio managed. So it is pretty much locked for an increase. Captain America suffered the most from cuts to screens and showtimes, probably due in main to direct competition from a SH movie. As it is 4M admissions looks increasingly difficult. That's no reason for disappointment however. Admissions and gross have increased almost 8-fold over the first avenger and SK is the third highest OS territory for The winter soldier after China and UK respectively. Expect great things from the Avengers: Age of Ultron :)

• Like 5

Han gong-ju breaks record for South Korean indie films

Posted Image

The teen drama praised by Martin Scorsese has recorded 140,000 admissions despite opening the day after the devastating ferry disaster.

Han Gong-ju rewrote box-office history for South Korea's independent film business over the weekend with more than 140,000 admissions, according to its distributor, Movie Collage. Korean film offices use admissions as the primary measure of a movie's box-office performance, and the film amassed what is considered a blockbuster amount for the genre.

The multiple award-winning teen drama had a strong start, bringing in a record 10,000 viewers on its opening day of April 17 alone, in spite of a devastating ferry disaster off the southwestern coast of Korea the day before the film opened that has left the entire country in shock, halted the local entertainment industry and driven down theater admissions overall.

Han Gong-ju has since taken only nine days to cross 100,000 admissions. Top-grossing Korean indie flicks Breathless (2008) and Bedevilled (2010) took 19 days and 10 days, respectively, to reach the landmark. Han Gong-ju has maintained a fifth/sixth ranking in the box office since April 21, and ticket sales are growing stronger as positive film reviews have spread through various web channels.

The first feature by Lee Su-jin won numerous awards at film festivals around the world, from Busan and Rotterdam to Deauville and Fribourg. Martin Scorsese took notice, calling it "a remarkable and powerful film debut. Strong on all levels."

The movie is about a 17-year-old girl, Han Gong-ju, who is forced to transfer schools after being victimized in a scandalous incident. A friend at her new school discovers Gong-ju's singing talent and creates an online fan site for her. This, however, ends up drawing the attention of the very people who bullied Gong-ju at her former school.

• Like 3

SK Daily Box Office (05/05)

Posted Image

Sunday's box office increased over saturday last week, and monday increased again over sunday. All the movies in the top 10 saw increases. Major milestones passed include The fatal encounter, which passed 2m admissions after just 6 days of release. TASM2 passed 3M in admissions. It's lagging behind by 5% in admissions compared to TASM, Gross is slightly ahead in dollars, although it's way behind in local currency (Won). Today is the last day of the holidays so numbers should normalize after today. 

• Like 1

The amazing spider-man 2 (05/06)Admissions/total: 246,243 / 3,531,180Daily gross: $1.95MTotal gross: $28.8MGross is ahead of TASM having played the same number of days. TASM had summer weekdays to rely on but TASM2 has benefited hugely from the one week national holiday. I will update on other movies once I get my computer fixed.

• Like 2

SK Daily Box Office (05/06)

Title-admissions-total admissions-gross

1. The Fatal Encounter-320,373-2,461,638-$2.5M

2. The Amazing spider man 2-246,495-3,531,449-$1.96M

3. The Target-228,081-1,354,599-$1.77M

4. Rio 2-109,235-542,632-$794K

5. Mr. Peabody and Sherman-41,368-315,042-$294K

6. Beyond Beyond-5,594-31,801-$38K

7. CA: TWS-5,356-3,946,454-$40K

8. Grand budapest hotel-5,251-727,026-$44K

9. Han gong-ju-4,311-194,813-$36K

10. Weekend in Paris-2,277-12,750-$19K

The amazing spider man 2 reached 3.5M admissions and approxiamtely $28.8M in gross on it's 14th day of release. In admissions it is trailing by 5% compared to TASM on the same day of release. in gross it is slightly ahead, TASM having grossed approximately $28.2M by it's 14th day. It needs 1 million and 1.3 million more admissions to pass SM3 and TASM respectively. 

The fatal encounter consolidated it's grip on top of the box office again, it is the clear winner of the golden week holiday having  amassed over 2 million admissions in the space of 6 days. At this point it's faster than even "The host" and "Masquerade" both of which cleared 12M admissions, but word of mouth for it isn't all that good, so long term success is doubtful at this point. 

Rio2 also did good business throughout the golden week. after just 6 days of release it has already had 84.2% of the admissions it saw for Rio. 1M total admissions seems like a good bet at this point. 

All in all 5.07 million or 1/10 of the total population visited the theaters throughout golden week, which is a 25% increase over the golden week of 2013. Looks like SK box office is back in action :)

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 2

Does this mean than TASM2 should finish higher than the first?

Possibly but not for certain. It caught up a lot during the holidays but it'll probably go below 100k admissions during weekdays now that it's over. Godzilla will also take screens and showtimes away from it next week.
  • Like 1