diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

Finished my final Interstellar IMAX viewing. Sitting in the frontmost seat in front of an IMAX screen was a pain physically, and the guy behind me kept on laughing at inappropriate moments but I still loved it. It was amazing to see a full house for a film on the fifth week of its release.

• Like 7

Finished my final Interstellar IMAX viewing. Sitting in the frontmost seat in front of an IMAX screen was a pain physically, and the guy behind me kept on laughing at inappropriate moments but I still loved it. It was amazing to see a full house for a film on the fifth week of its release.

Oh no, that's a bad experience. Sometimes I prefer to go for Gold Class just to avoid these kinds of bad attitude.

Glad that you enjoyed it Rsyu.

• Like 1

Oh no, that's a bad experience. Sometimes I prefer to go for Gold Class just to avoid these kinds of bad attitude.

Glad that you enjoyed it Rsyu.

I don't usually face such a problem but the guy behind me was really old and complaining that he didn't understand the plot or something. I guess it shows the pulling power of Interstellar that people like him come and see it. 

• Like 2

I don't usually face such a problem but the guy behind me was really old and complaining that he didn't understand the plot or something. I guess it shows the pulling power of Interstellar that people like him come and see it. 

I watched 5 times in different formats and what I found interesting was, ladies tend to like it more.

Not sure why, but IS triggered a heavy discussion among the audience after the film finished.

While I guess in different viewings, setting mind to check for the different themes might ended up with different feelings.

Like for the first time just to see what the film offered (ended up, need to check up some other time to understand), second time to compare with Nolan's other productions, third time go for hard science to understand, forth time go for love, and last time just solely to enjoy and appreciate.

Unlike Inception, those who did not understand said it was a rubbish (quite sad to hear).

Sometimes I really encountered some terrible attitudes in cinema.

1. Cellphones, it was so bright and so interrupting.

2. Popcorn, I don't understand why people cannot eat properly until the popcorn spill all over the place.

3. Children, seriously bring 1 year old baby for blockbusters, that will frighten them.

4. Talking, if coming in to the theater solely for chatting, please do not disturb others who might want to enjoy the film.

5. Kicking seats, in Transformers and Avengers I know there is a lot of exciting scenes, but not to keep kicking throughout the entire film.

Seriously, attitude problems. 

• Like 1

South Korea Daily Box Office (December 2)

Admissions -  (Total) - Daily%Change-  Gross -(Drops from LW)-[screens]-<Title>

1.   93,659 (8,507,744)     -2.0%        $704K      (-30.8%)           [870] <Interstellar>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.   61,762    (686,797)        0%         $413K           (--)                [626] <Big Match> 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.   36,223 (1,092,742)     -6.0%        $235K      (-41.0%)           [455] <Fury> 
4.   14,059    (810,055)     -5.0%          $90K      (-66.2%)           [369] <Mockingjay part.1> 
5.   11,988    (154,090)     -1.0%          $79K           (--)               [340] <D&D2>

Total admissions: 260,965

Total Gross: $1.802 million

Interstellar cume: $62.298 million (68.1B won) 

Fury cume: $7.411 million

Mockingjay pt.1 cume: $5.353 million

Current presales (5AM)
01. 35.3%  (51,744) Exodus: gods and kings
02. 20.9%  (30,685) Interstellar
03. 10.0%  (14,659) Grow: Infinite's real youth life
04.   5.0%     (7,365) The Hospice
05.   4.1%     (6,043) Big Match
  • Like 3

I watched 5 times in different formats and what I found interesting was, ladies tend to like it more.

Not sure why, but IS triggered a heavy discussion among the audience after the film finished.

While I guess in different viewings, setting mind to check for the different themes might ended up with different feelings.

Like for the first time just to see what the film offered (ended up, need to check up some other time to understand), second time to compare with Nolan's other productions, third time go for hard science to understand, forth time go for love, and last time just solely to enjoy and appreciate.

Unlike Inception, those who did not understand said it was a rubbish (quite sad to hear).

Sometimes I really encountered some terrible attitudes in cinema.

1. Cellphones, it was so bright and so interrupting.

2. Popcorn, I don't understand why people cannot eat properly until the popcorn spill all over the place.

3. Children, seriously bring 1 year old baby for blockbusters, that will frighten them.

4. Talking, if coming in to the theater solely for chatting, please do not disturb others who might want to enjoy the film.

5. Kicking seats, in Transformers and Avengers I know there is a lot of exciting scenes, but not to keep kicking throughout the entire film.

Seriously, attitude problems. 

I'm not surprised the women who watched it liked it more. On Naver, after 35,807 votes, Interstellar holds a 9.19/10 rating among men and a 9.31 rating among women. The ratio is split 67:33 though so of course men in general favour these types of movies more but the women who did watch, liked it more than their male counterparts. 

lol, sorry you had so many problems recently. I really dislike people who fail to keep etiquette in the theatres. 

• Like 1

Since Exodus will almost certainly take the #1 spot today, Interstellar should finish with 26 consecutive days at the summit of the box office. 

Consecutive days at #1 (2014)

01. 26 days :: Interstellar

02. 23 days :: Roaring Currents

03. 21 days :: Edge of Tomorrow

04. 15 days :: Frozen

04. 15 days :: The Attorney

04. 15 days :: Tazza: The hidden card

04. 15 days :: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

04. 15 days :: My love, My bride

09. 14 days :: The Fatal Encounter

09. 14 days :: The Maze Runner

09. 14 days :: Gone girl

12. 13 days :: Dawn of the planet of the apes

13. 12 days :: X-Men: Days of Future Past

14.   8 days :: Transformers: Age of Extinction

• Like 5

South Korea Daily Box Office (December 3)

Admissions -    (Total) - Daily%Change-  Gross -(Drops from LW)-[screens]-<Title>

1.   97,395     (100,940)          --            $708K           (--)                [753] <Exodus: g&k> NEW

2.   57,418  (8,565,133)     -39.2%        $383K      (-62.2%)           [676] <Interstellar> 
3.   37,542     (724,310)     -39.2%        $251K      (-11.3%)           [485] <Big Match> 
4.   21,155  (1,113,894)     -41.6%        $139K      (-68.7%)           [367] <Fury> 
5.   12,809     (106,271)      +8.0%          $82K           (--)               [206] <My love don't cross that river>

Total admissions: 269,767

Total Gross: $1.855 million

Interstellar cume: $62.681 million (68.5B won) 

Fury cume: $7.55 million

Exodus g&k cume: $0.72 million

Current presales (Midnight)
01. 34.0%  (59,757) Exodus: gods and kings
02. 24.3%  (42,750) Interstellar
03.   7.8%  (13,720) Grow: Infinite's real youth life
04.   4.4%    (7,660) Big Match
05.   4.2%    (7,357) The hospice
Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 5

Not such a great OD for Exodus. Early Naver ratings are 8.24/10 after 603 votes. Interstellar could possibly pass 9 million admissions by Sunday at the earliest. If weekend increases aren't as good as last week, by Tuesday next week at latest. 

• Like 4

I'm sensing a pretty negative vibe from the GA for Exodus. Naver ratings have fallen to 7.86 overnight and if it follows its current trajectory, it could finish with a sub 7.0 rating. The main criticism from people is that it's boring, overly long and that it strays from the source material (the book of exodus) too much. It does however get praised for it's visuals though. 

I'm sensing a pretty negative vibe from the GA for Exodus. Naver ratings have fallen to 7.86 overnight and if it follows its current trajectory, it could finish with a sub 7.0 rating. The main criticism from people is that it's boring, overly long and that it strays from the source material (the book of exodus) too much. It does however get praised for it's visuals though. 

Classic Hollywood, where money reigns over every other human value.

Pretty infuriating that this is stealing IMAX screens from Interstellar in your country. Any chance they will bring Interstellar back to IMAX due to demand?

• Like 1

Pretty infuriating that this is stealing IMAX screens from Interstellar in your country. Any chance they will bring Interstellar back to IMAX due to demand?

As far as I can tell this is a unique situation. I don't think any film in South Korea has had such a high continuing demand for IMAX screens after 4 straight weeks of release. Unfortunately, IMAX screens aren't regulated by supply and demand like normal screens but by individual contract with each film. Exodus was contracted to get them on the 3rd and TH3 is contracted to get them on the 17th. Usually it works out fine since the demand for the film is at a low point by the time the next film comes along but interstellar turned out to be "The Film" to experience in that format leading to sell-outs until the very last day. I read in a news article that there were ongoing negotiations for further IMAX screenings but I'm not entirely confident that it will lead anywhere. 

• Like 1

Top 10 most attended foreign releases

01. 13,624,328  Avatar

02. 10,296,101  Frozen

03.   9,001,309  Iron Man 3

04.   8,565,133  Interstellar

05.   7,784,807  Transformers Dark of the moon

06.   7,575,899  Mission Impossible ghost protocol

07.   7,505,700  Transformers: Revenge of the fallen

08.   7,440,531  Transformers

09.   7,074,867  The Avengers

10.   6,396,528  The Dark Knight Rises

*Red=Still in theatres

• Like 5

South Korea Daily Box Office (December 4)

- Admissions -    (Total) - Daily%Change-  Gross -(Drops from LW)-[screens]-<Title>

01.   92,483     (193,423)       -5.0%        $667K           (--)               [844] <Exodus: g&k> 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
02.   55,062  (8,620,185)       -4.1%        $366K      (-51.4%)           [668] <Interstellar> 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
03.   33,137     (757,938)     -12.9%        $219K      (-55.9%)           [431] <Big Match> 
04.   19,219  (1,133,392)     -10.4%        $126K      (-60.7%)           [370] <Fury> 
05.   18,557       (24,204)          --            $121K           (--)               [325] <5 eagle brothers> NEW

06.   13,868     (120,268)      +7.2%         $94K      (+40.0%)          [177] <My love don't cross that river> 

07.     7,989  (2,442,115)          --             $51K            (--)               [244] <Howl's moving castle> 
08.     4,943         (5,195)          --             $37K            (--)                 [70] <GROW: Infinite's real youth challenge> NEW
09.     4,625     (812,337)     -30.5%         $30K      (-81.8%)           [196] <Mockingjay pt.1> 
10.     3,667       (76,091)     -46.0%         $24K      (-53.8%)             [78] <Hector and the search for happiness>

Total admissions: 278,724

Total Gross: $1.885 million

Interstellar cume: $63.047 million (68.9B won) 

Fury cume: $7.676 million

Exodus g&k cume: $1.387 million

Current presales (Midnight)
01. 32.8%  (72,170) Exodus: gods and kings
02. 28.7%  (63,200) Interstellar
03.   4.7%  (10,411) Big Match
04.   4.3%    (9,488) My love don't cross that river
05.   4.2%    (9,286) Grow: Infinite's real youth life
Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 5

Presales outlook: Interstellar rose by the biggest margin over yesterday, increasing by approximately 20K tickets. Exodus rose by 12K tickets but it's percent share dropped by 1.2%. My love don't cross that river is showing strong word of mouth, and it's showing in presales as well as it's box office numbers. 

• Like 1

Cinema at my locations bring back IS to IMAX after Penguins underperformed.

Interesting. Over here, Exodus isn't under-performing exactly, it's opening week will be fine. Legs afterwards maybe not so much. 

How does IMAX screen allocation work in Malaysia?

Edited by Rsyu