diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

3 hours ago, yjs said:

Friday admission numbers 

#1. Seondal (local)                               153,032       (422,224 total)

#2. Finding Dory                                  106,568       (269,553 total)   

#4. The Legend of Tarzan                       27,232        (720,838 total)  -62.2%

#5. ID4                                                  9,798     (1,464,209 total)  -76.3%

presales

#1. Finding Dory                                     182,195

#2. Seondal (local)                                   82,155 

#4. Now You See Me 2                              25,037 (July 13th) 

#5. The Legend of Tarzan                          11,066

#6. The Train to Busan (local)                      9,746 (July 20th)

#7. The Jungle Book                                   4,388

How good/bad is it for Dory compared with previous Pixar movies?

Good OW to expect?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cannastop said:

That's interesting. I'm not sure if many audience members are going to make a connection to Zootopia, though, especially by the time Christmas comes.

Also, a class on trailers? What do you teach?

Yeah yjs is correct that I teach English, but I have 6 1 our classes each week in which my mandate is: here are some kids, that's all the help or resources we are going to give you.

So I just make powerpoints on different topics flipping from educational to less educational on a whim. As they have exams coming up soon the past 3 weeks (and the next two) are about methods of promoting films.

So this week and the next two consists of watching, assessing and rating a variety of different trailers old and new.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chasmmi said:

Yeah yjs is correct that I teach English, but I have 6 1 our classes each week in which my mandate is: here are some kids, that's all the help or resources we are going to give you.

So I just make powerpoints on different topics flipping from educational to less educational on a whim. As they have exams coming up soon the past 3 weeks (and the next two) are about methods of promoting films.

So this week and the next two consists of watching, assessing and rating a variety of different trailers old and new.  

Oh, OK.

Is Zootopia really popular with your middle schoolers? It was a big sleeper hit in South Korea, but it's not exactly a behemoth. Probably big with the kids, though.

4 hours ago, yjs said:

think @chasmmi teaches english.

shhh! 거의 모든 사람은 나는 한국사람이라고 생각해요. 우리 비밀를 말하지마세요 :P 

I'm now going to go and report myself for using a foreign text, just in case it is against forum rules...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Oh, OK.

Is Zootopia really popular with your middle schoolers? It was a big sleeper hit in South Korea, but it's not exactly a behemoth. Probably big with the kids, though.

for animation it was a juggernaut. Only about 4 films ever did better.

But yes Zootopia is very popular and well liked here. Especially as adults don't watched anything animated not called Frozen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

for animation it was a juggernaut. Only about 4 films ever did better.

But yes Zootopia is very popular and well liked here. Especially as adults don't watched anything animated not called Frozen.

Started off really small, though. I didn't realize how amazing its run was until now.

7 hours ago, cannastop said:

Started off really small, though. I didn't realize how amazing its run was until now.

Zootopia's run was quite exceptional in two different ways, first it was a rare, decent-sized animated hit among adults, 4th-biggest all time in fact, since even though it did "mere" 4.7M adm., animation is usually never big here. (@Rsyu recently posted the chart.) And second it had an incredibly leggy run which was I think almost to the extent of unprecedented, similar to its Japanese run. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chasmmi said:

shhh! 거의 모든 사람은 나는 한국사람이라고 생각해요. 우리 비밀를 말하지마세요 :P 

I'm now going to go and report myself for using a foreign text, just in case it is against forum rules...

I'm so much in love with you right now! ???

• Like 1

Just now, yjs said:

Zootopia's run was quite exceptional in two different ways, first it was a rare, decent-sized animated hit among adults, 4th-biggest all time in fact, since even though it did "mere" 4.7M adm., animation is usually never big here. (@Rsyu recently posted the chart.) And second it had an incredibly leggy run which was I think almost to the extent of unprecedented, similar to its Japanese run. 

The South Korean legs I think are more exceptional. Can you even find a movie with a bigger multiplier?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

How good/bad is it for Dory compared with previous Pixar movies?

Good OW to expect?

comparing it to other Pixar entries is a little unfair since Disney/Pixar after Tarzan had been pretty much non-brand till Frozen (10M adm., highest grossing animated film all time), and that was a little past Pixar's heyday. So because of that, Dory's ahead all the former Pixar releases in the same time frame by default, and been slightly outpacing Inside Out so far, which is the biggest Pixar film to date and 3rd biggest animated film all time (5M adm.)

It's still not saying too much yet tho since animated genre let alone Pixar here's less appreciated as it is in other markets such as N/S Americas, Europe and Japan since family film market is very limited and adults here are avoiding animations like plague unless they're proven to have wide crossover appeal. Inside Out was one of the very few exceptions to show some insane legs due to that crossover appeal. Dory's true box office potential will be tested in its 2nd weekend, imo, where IO showed crazy 40% increase. Otherwise it's looking to finish at 2.5M~3M adm. range, which is still enough to put it in the top 15 all time animated list. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The South Korean legs I think are more exceptional. Can you even find a movie with a bigger multiplier?

actually that's my new project now to figure that out. haha I was suspecting probably King and the Clown and even that couldn't match it. (160k OD, 12M total)

Zoo just opened soooo softly (46k OD, 4.7M total)

Just now, yjs said:

actually that's my new project now to figure that out. haha I was suspecting probably King and the Clown and even that couldn't match it. (160k OD, 12M total)

What about opening weekend/final total?

1 minute ago, yjs said:

never mind, just remembered Begin Again, which was a semi-phenomenon. (21k OD, 3.43M total. about 163x total/OD multiplier.)

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

What about opening weekend/final total?

Zoo had X14.33

King and the Clown had roughly X16

Begin Again is unbeatable here, with freaking X53.01 multi...

The Intern recently had X10.68 

think Zoo's definitely in top 10 if not top 5, unless we count indie runs.

Edited by yjs
  • Like 2

South Korea Summer box office 2016 (Foreign release ver.)

Okay, so we had a look at some of the biggest tentpoles for Korean films for this year, so I thought I'd do the same for foreign releases. Traditionally, foreign releases haven't done all too well during peak summer box office, with most of the business going to local films. A case could be made I guess for the transformer films but personally I don't think they count since they mostly were released just before the summer season (late June). So considering all that, the foreign release that did the most business in the summer box office was The Dark Knight rises (July 19 release) which amassed 6.4M admissions. While that isn't a bad figure in itself, it has to be noted that it is only the 42nd most attended film of all time. Six of the thirteen 10M admissions Korean films on the other hand, have come from the summer box office season. So if you can catch my drift....

Anyway, on to the analysis at hand :)

Finding Dory (in theatres)

POSTER

So, Finding Nemo is one of the more loved animations in Korea, gaining more acclaim and recognition in the years since its release. The buzz surrounding Finding Dory, while not negative in anyway, doesn't seem to be in the same vein as the prequel though, and it certainly doesn't seem to be mothballing into a WoM powerhouse, which has been a trend of late for WDAS/Pixar films. Still, I imagine it will do well enough to get in to the top10 animated admissions list with a possible finish of late 2m-early 3m admissions. I imagine if the current heat wave continues, more people may be encouraged to go see it.

Now You See Me 2 (July 12)

POSTER

The first film did surprisingly well in Korea considering it was an original film with no big-draw actors. It managed 2.7M admissions despite being sandwiched between some tentpole Korean films. The bad RT score notwithstanding, I think this is one of those films that people turn up to watch to have fun, and so I'm optimistic that it will deliver again this year. Competition remains the biggest hurdle, with Train to Busan opening in its second week. Hopefully, it'll be a situation of both films expanding the box office pie so there's enough to go around. Personally I think a similar tally to the original should be considered a success for this film.

Jason Bourne (July 27)

POSTER

Bourne Series box office history

The Bourne Identity: N/A

The Bourne Supremacy: 620,000

The Bourne Ultimatum: 2,052,802

The Bourne Legacy: 1,015,711

Okay, so the Bourne series doesn't have a good track record in Korea. It seemed to be gaining popularity up until Legacy, where it fell down into ignominy. But that one didn't have JASON BOURNE in it so I think we can pass it off as a blip. Jason Bourne is one of the more recognized roles of Matt Damon in Korea and Spy thrillers have recently broken through in a big way in Korea (MI, Kingsman, Spy) so I think this has every chance of doing good business here. 

Suicide Squad

POSTER

I think this film has the best chance to do the best out of the foreign films this summer. The concept of a good baddie (there's a korean fusion word for this even) is something that is popular in recent Korean culture which probably contributed to films such as Deadpool breaking out. This combined with the immensely popular Joker Character, and well known actors could make this a must-see film among the younger generation especially. I don't see it doing as well as TDK or TDKR, but 3-4M or thereabouts is probably within its limits if it receives good word of mouth.

Conclusion: As it stands, I don't see any foreign release breaking the 5M barrier mark unless it becomes a WoM powerhouse. Suicide Squad has an outside chance but it's extremely difficult for foreign films to receive adequate screen time against the tentpole local films. GoTG was a pretty good example of this. Word of mouth was very solid for this film, and being a marvel product, it really should have been a no-brainer to break out. However it was released just one day behind the behemoth Roaring Currents and as a result, started with less than 600 screens and was restricted to finishing with just 1.3M admissions. So yeah, unless it becomes an event film, I think it will be pretty difficult for the above films to break out in a meaningful way. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chasmmi said:

Yeah guardians 2 will likely have one of the biggest increases for a blockbuster sequel ever in Korea. The first was just mutilated by local behemoths.

I remember wanting to see this on a big screen but failed to find any showings. I had to satisfy myself with a tiny one near home.

47 minutes ago, Rsyu said:

I remember wanting to see this on a big screen but failed to find any showings. I had to satisfy myself with a tiny one near home.

I was able to see it and it is one of the few times that I found me and the Korean audience consistently laughing in unison at the same jokes and scenes. But yeah, it was hard to get into as Roaring Currents was a beast.