diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

9 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

I don´t think we will ever go back to where it was before. Fact is even if MCU still improves quality they won´t maintain what they did in Phase 3. That was a once in a lifetime run of crowd pleasing movies

Maybe we should accept the fact,not many franchise can last its popularity for a decades

like James Bond used to be the king in Asia as well but now just so so.

It’s just a normal IP’s life cycle.

Edited by Sophia Jane
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Willowra said:

I'm talking about reception here. Both Shang-Chi and WF had bad ratings in Korea, which indicates that Koreans don't like Hollywood POC movies, or at least not MCU POC movies. BP1 made a fortune because of Infinity War.

I am not sure if we are trying the racism angle here but using it for shang-chi is just weird, and if that was the problem the first BP would've had poor ratings too.

14 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I am not sure if we are trying the racism angle here but using it for shang-chi is just weird, and if that was the problem the first BP would've had poor ratings too.

Shang-chi, WF, and Eternals all had poor ratings in SK. We can say that Eternals had a bad reception everywhere, but I am pretty sure that even if it was as good as Shang-Chi, it would have gotten a bad rating in SK. I don't know why BP1 had a good reception here, but maybe the high interest in the IW/EG movies made it more acceptable to Koreans.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

I don´t think we will ever go back to where it was before. Fact is even if MCU still improves quality they won´t maintain what they did in Phase 3. That was a once in a lifetime run of crowd pleasing movies

they should stop releasing 3 movies in a year ! that spoiled the even status of these movies ! going to theaters for a marvel movie isn't exciting as it was b4 phase 4 ! 

they should go with max 2 movies at least until the end of phase 5 ! they should let everyone to get on board with there story instead of forcing them !marvel first released 3 movies in a yr back in 2017 when everyone knew where the story going and hyped !

this yr marvel will loose badly against dc both commercial and critical ! the flash overshadowed guardians easily.

8 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Shang-chi, WF, and Eternals all had poor ratings in SK. We can say that Eternals had a bad reception everywhere, but I am pretty sure that even if it was as good as Shang-Chi, it would have gotten a bad rating in SK. I don't know why BP1 had a good reception here, but maybe the high interest in the IW/EG movies made it more acceptable to Koreans.

so your entire argument is based on shang-chi not being liked in korea? you realize all markets don't operate the same right? avatar 2 is a megahit everywhere but japan couldn't care less, top gun maverick did basically nothing in italy or india. Shang-Chi was extremely domestic heavy, it didn't pop off OS anywhere so not sure why thats a knock against korea

2 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

so your entire argument is based on shang-chi not being liked in korea? you realize all markets don't operate the same right? avatar 2 is a megahit everywhere but japan couldn't care less, top gun maverick did basically nothing in italy or india. Shang-Chi was extremely domestic heavy, it didn't pop off OS anywhere so not sure why thats a knock against korea

How many times should I tell you that I'm not talking about box office but audience reviews/rating?

1 hour ago, Menor Reborn said:

The PS never looked impressive imo. MCU has just lost its audience here with too many poorly received films.

You hit the nail on the head. Audience just isn't there like they were for Endgame. Too many mediocre movies, Markus and Mcfeely did an amazing job with writing with previous phases comparatively Phase 4 absolutely has been brutal, zero plot movement on the bigger arc until Quantomania and just seems like the plan Feige had for the Endgame isn't there for phase 5/6. I do however think as NWH showed, potential is still there but things have to go right.

Just now, Willowra said:

How many times should I tell you that I'm not talking about box office but audience reviews/rating?

they are directly correlated, your entire argument hinges on you thinking they should have loved shang-chi cause america did and thats just not how movies work. eternals literally had don lee in it and koreans still hated it so what is the excuse?

22 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Asia tends to dislike Hollywood's portrayal of asians, so it isn't particularly surprising that SC was poorly received in SK.

While for BPWF, to be entirely frank, the strong reception is more of a US thing, as it got pretty poor user ratings in Asia and Europe, and even Latam if the spanish version of RT is anything to go by - though sample size seemed low and I am not sure if there's something bigger to go off.

10 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

top gun maverick did basically nothing in India.

Well yes, but that's because it wasn't a movie that Indian audience preferred.

But

Those who watched it loved it, it had a nice little run, it kept on collecting at lower level for weeks.

So while it wasn't a hit here, but reception wise was very good.

5 minutes ago, druv10 said:

You hit the nail on the head. Audience just isn't there like they were for Endgame. Too many mediocre movies, Markus and Mcfeely did an amazing job with writing with previous phases comparatively Phase 4 absolutely has been brutal, zero plot movement on the bigger arc until Quantomania and just seems like the plan Feige had for the Endgame isn't there for phase 5/6. I do however think as NWH showed, potential is still there but things have to go right.

feigie got the plan ! Michael Douglass litterally said he explained it to him + jonathan majors always speak about kang dynasty ! cause he knows the basic outline !! in phase  nobody knew tesseract was an infinity stone until they explain it in phase 2 ! same goes for 10 rings and maybe ms marvel bangs ! the issue was execution and too many projects in short time period ! last year ms marvel,thor 4, she hulk all released back to back and killed the audience trust on marvel + ppl who waited for mcu to fail joined in and trolls were everywhere on internet 

MCU winged a lot of stuff in Phase 3. Difference is they made 2-3 projects a year. It´s much easier to have quality control. Now they have 7-8 projects a year for Papa Feige to oversee. In reality someone else should oversee the shows and Feige should keep his focus on movies. They have suffered the most in terms of quality. MCU and South Korea was happily married and now they are on the verge of divorce.

Edited by thajdikt

7 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

they are directly correlated, your entire argument hinges on you thinking they should have loved shang-chi cause america did and thats just not how movies work. eternals literally had don lee in it and koreans still hated it so what is the excuse?

Shang-chi was liked by the entire world except Korea. WF had good ratings everywhere except Korea and perhaps China. Top Gun made less in India, but the movie was well received there. Box office is not only directly related to reviews, but it is also directly related to interest.

1 minute ago, Willowra said:

Shang-chi was liked by the entire world except Korea. WF had good ratings everywhere except Korea and perhaps China. Top Gun made less in India, but the movie was well received there. Box office is not only directly related to reviews, but it is also directly related to interest.

The first two points are quite simply not true and you would know they aren't if you took the time to check.

Edited by JustLurking

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Asia tends to dislike Hollywood's portrayal of asians, so it isn't particularly surprising that SC was poorly received in SK.

While for BPWF, to be entirely frank, the strong reception is more of a US thing, as it got pretty poor user ratings in Asia and Europe, and even Latam if the spanish version of RT is anything to go by - though sample size seemed low and I am not sure if there's something bigger to go off.

WF had good rating in India, Idk about europe though. Its box office collection in France looks good though.

4 minutes ago, Willowra said:

wf had less than good audience scores in france and germany as well and those are just off the top of my head, also you need to understand different people have different thoughts about movies, even avatar 2 has less than stellar wom in japan and everywhere else is great. Just cause other countries liked shang-chi doesn't mean the koreans have to, babylon is loved by the french and everyone else hates it

1 minute ago, Willowra said:

WF had good rating in India, Idk about europe though. Its box office collection in France looks good though.

It got a 3.3/5 on allocine (france), quite a bit lower than even DS2 which stands at 3.6 (but better than thor's abysmal 2.4 atleast). I didn't check india admittedly because I'm not going to check literally EVERY country, but I did check enough to know it definitely is not an SK-only problem.

1 minute ago, GOGODanca said:

wf had less than good audience scores in france and germany as well and those are just off the top of my head, also you need to understand different people have different thoughts about movies, even avatar 2 has less than stellar wom in japan and everywhere else is great. Just cause other countries liked shang-chi doesn't mean the koreans have to, babylon is loved by the french and everyone else hates it

There is a trend here- Shang-Chi, Eternals and now WF. If CA:NWO get good reception everywhere & also in Korea then I will believe that Koreans don't hate MCU POC movies/characters.

On 2/14/2023 at 1:18 AM, JustLurking said:

Shangqi has a bad reputation in Asia because too many markets hate China, including Hong Kong and Taiwan, and chinese think that Shangqi movies are discriminatory against chinese people. People who love China and hate China all hate Shangqi. This is very strange, but this is fact.

Edited by noobmaster69