Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

280m is on the borderline of doing ok. 250m would be a failure. Come on, it's SM we're talking about, used to be an A-list SH, now we're happy to do better than Thor and CA? That's ain't right.

There was a time when the Batman franchise was in the same boat. And TASM is looking to outdo BB's attendance on OD by 25-40% or more. And has more than a good shot at beating its overall attendance as well.
  • Like 1

The thing is WOM doesn't have to be bad for legs to be weak. If the general consensus among casual moviegoers is "it's okay" or indifference, that's not going to convince their friends who might be on the fence to go watch a Spider-man movie in theaters for the fourth time. But this will probably have a 2.5-2.7 multiplier.

2.5-2.7 multi from what? It opens on Tuesday.

UPDATE: http://www.deadline....7-5m-midnights/

Usually if a movie is opening well, the Hollywood studio wants to shout the results. For some reason Sony Pictures today is “trying to keep a lid” on the North American grosses for its The Amazing Spider-Man, in the words of one exec to me. “At the end of the matinees we still have an incredible story to tell , especially knowing its a Tuesday night and not a Friday night. But the numbers don’t lie.”

Edited by RichWS
  • Like 2

2.5-2.7 multi from what? It opens on Tuesday.

For an opener like this I average together the 3-day weekend number and the 5/6 day number. So say it makes 60m for the 3-day and 135m for the 6-day, that would average out to 98mil. So the multi from that.

There was a time when the Batman franchise was in the same boat. And TASM is looking to outdo BB's attendance on OD by 25-40% or more. And has more than a good shot at beating its overall attendance as well.

Really? What would BB adjusted today with 3D and IMAX be?

WoM is better than SM3, but it doesn't mean that TASM is a better film. The expectations were lowered after SM3, which was coming out after the brilliant SM2. If TASM had followed SM2, it would nave been slaughtered just like SM3.

I hate these kind of "What if?" statements because you can say pretty much anything and there's no way to know since it never happened(and never would have).

That's a lie. The Batman franchise was never in the same boat. B&R was a flop and BB improved a lot. SM3 won the year in 2006 and TASM is decreasing in attendance hugely. It's doing a Pirates-, Shrek-like drop, only much worse. Edited by The Dark Alfred

Usually if a movie is opening well, the Hollywood studio wants to shout the results. For some reason Sony Pictures today is “trying to keep a lid” on the North American grosses for its The Amazing Spider-Man, in the words of one exec to me. “At the end of the matinees we still have an incredible story to tell , especially knowing its a Tuesday night and not a Friday night. But the numbers don’t lie.”

"No only we do..." :lol:

I smell fudge.

• Like 3

WTF is Nikki talking about, couldn't make out a single word from it. Hitting the Franzia again are we, Nikki? :P

The spin cycle is coming in bigtime, as expected. 250M would NOT be a good total, and anything less than 30M today is a disappointment, dampened expectations or no. TASM is very likely not coming near 300M domestically and will be a box office letdown in the U.S., as anyone with half a brain should have foreseen. WOM is very mixed and TDKR will soon put it out of its misery.

I wonder why Sony is so nervous to release the numbers. Maybe they're scared that a bunch of forum goers online will incessantly overanalyze and argue about... oh wait :P
  • Like 1