The Ides of March

13 members have voted

1. 1. Rate The Ides of March

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It wasn't particularly tense in any situation. I never felt that gosling was actually being spied on when he saw a few camera's or that his life was in danger when talking to clooney. But then again, that's probably not what they were going for!I enjoyed it, I was into it! Solid B.Cast suprised me. When I saw Hoffman looking across at Giamatiti I was like, what the ... !!! I don't think they've done a movie together before.It was a bit to subtle, but still a good watch.

It's one of those films that everything is done well, but it still fails to really impress or make an impression on you.

The acting is great, however, the whole film just seems way too theatrical for me. You get the feeling while watching the actors that they KNOW they are acting, and that's always a negative while watching a movie. These are great actors, but I feel the dialogue did not really allow them to lose themselves into their roles, it was simply too ochestrated from the outset.

Likewise, the film is just told in a pretty boring, uninteresting way. There's really nothing in here that we haven't seen before, and as a result the script comes across as being somewhat bland and uninvolving. It almost has a soup opera feel to it at times and would have benefited from from artistic flair.

I also thought the transition of Gosling from young, innocent politician to a changed, corrupted one was too abrupt and not handled really well. You really have to buy into this aspect to get into the movie, and that simply did not happen for me.

C+

The ensemble is pretty strong but the script falls flat and surprisingly goes for the easiest punches (politicians are corrupt and corrupting is really all the movie had to say). Also, I insist that Gosling was miscast. I love the actor, but I didn't buy his transition from a naive hopeful to what was more or less his character in Drive.

BI just found this movie very predictable - even the casting - wow, Clooney's character turns out to be a slimy politician. Hoffman and Giamatti were great, as usual. Gosling was good as usual, but as Gopher said, I found his transformation unbelievable. This could have been an awesome movie, but in the end it's just good. I forgot about it immediately and only remembered it when seeing it in the archive list here.

Started off really well I thought. It made me believe I was gonna see some behind the scenes on a political campaign. I thought the loyalty angle was done well. That, is the part where Giamatti's character courted Gosling's character and Gosling didn't tell Hoffman's character. When he did finally fess up, Hoffman's character fired him from the campaign and then he goes to Giamatti who told him he was basically damaged goods and couldn't use him, lol. I thought that was pretty clever. Where the movie took a weird turn for me was Evan Rachel Wood's character's story arc. It was clear to me that they just threw her in there so that Gosling could have something on Clooney's character when the going got tough. Okay so she flirts with Gosling gets him to bed all while pregnant by Clooney's character who she only had sex with once. She couldn't scrape together 900 dollars for an abortion so Ryan Gosling takes it from petty cash, lol. All this while her dad is some rich retired politician. Yeah it got real stupid after all of that. Could have been much better. I give it a C.