CJohn

Frozen OS thread

Yea, i agree that we should at least keep our hopes in check with respect to china... it really seems such a wildcard... if japan breaks out like SK it will already be pretty epic :)

If you 'understand' a market like China, you get it's not really a wildcard, at least not regarding Frozen. The way the market works, I consider a 30M finish a very good success for Frozen.

If you 'understand' a market like China, you get it's not really a wildcard, at least not regarding Frozen. The way the market works, I consider a 30M finish a very good success for Frozen.

Animated movies target families, but China don't have big families because of the one-child policy. It's a bit annoying..

Its on pace for 400m domestically with just 20% weekend drops. With yesterdays week over week hold and the sing along coming, 420m is likely domestically. 

South Korea may do another 40m considering last weeks increase and may portend a huge blockbuster in Japan (50-100m). The movie definitely reaches 1 Billion. If Japan and China soar, 1.1b is possible

Does SK usually have Friday numbers more in line with the weekdays, is this number due to the holidays, or is this just a very weak Friday for Frozen (or am I misreading the numbers :blush: )?

oh, think you are misreading them. Those are not weak at all. The numbers mean admission numbers (ticket sales). You multiply about 7.5 to that and you get grosses in USD. So over $3M Friday was it and we usually get 1.5-2x of the presales numbers (which is 300k for Saturday) for the daily total so at least 500k+ admissions is expected for Saturday which is translated into about 3.8M. and Sunday will be about the same, it seems. $10M+ on its third weekend, that's pretty legit even with the holiday boost. ;)Ah and think Fridays here are a bit deflated than weekends, usually.
  • Like 3

One thing I'm concerned about the SK performance is that it MIGHT face a steep drop due to a sudden drop in theater count numbers. The market is dominated by three big cinema chains and each of them is tied with Korean production companies, respectively. It's like huge conglomerates running both production/distribution companies and cinema chains. So they just give away huge sums of screens from foreign films to their new titles to support them. Altho there aren't that big new releases and Frozen is doing exceptionally well almost creating a phenomenon here (hel, Korean equivalent to FOX news did a coverage on how queen Elsa and the president Park share some similarities which was both awesome and bullcrap since Elsa on national TV is great but Park is..) we would try not to be carried away. A reasonably long run is rather exceptional for foreign films cause they just abruptly cut it.

• Like 1

Frozen is actually underperforming in South America compared to its performance in the rest of the world. I think it will come in under MU, or relatively close and way under DM2.

It's not really that surprising.  A big selling point of Frozen was the Winter theme, which of course doesn't apply to the Southern Hemisphere that's in Summer now.