Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

It didn't break any records as far as i know. TA didn't either (in those markets).

In Australia TA had the second biggest OD ($6m) ever and TDKR is still going to beat its first three days. Also note TA had a 60% 3D ratio.

The effect is more than 6-7%. You're kidding yourself if you think it's around that. I work at a theater and I've worked box office both days. The day business has been absolutely pathetic, even notfabio said it was lagging nearly 50% in matinees behind TA at his chain. It does amazing at night because the teen/young adult crowd are generally unfazed by the shooting but the families that drive day business are nowhere to be found. That plays a HUGE factor. TA wouldn't have broken any records without the huge help it got from families on Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

• Like 11

If I see one more comment talking about what this film would have made if the shooting never occured, i'm going to puke. Why are you guys so obsessed about it? The tragedy took place, that's just a fact, so get over it and move on. If people really wanted to see this film OW they would have seen it. Any rationale person would know that their odds of dying while going to the movies these days are pretty slim.

Do I think the shooting effected the box office? Yes. Was its impact that noteworthy.....nobody can know for sure. Its midnight gross certainly wasn't indicative of anything record breaking. The shooting likely effected the film by like 6-7% at most - mostly paranoid mothers who are disturbed from what they hear on the news were scared away....otherwise it was business as usual.

But of course there has to be this big debate. It was tracking north of 180M....it was the most anticipated film since TPM....2012 has been breaking tonns of records...how could this sell less tickets than TDK...blah blah vlah Well guess what! Tracking can be wrong sometimes, the anticipation was huge but it was huge for other films too like DH2 and Spiderman 3, and TDK is the most attended OW of all time....why would coming up like 5% below that be dissapointing?

Maybe you Nolan/Batman fans should just admit that you guys got a little too excited and just had really lousy preedictions instead of blaming it on a shooting, that most likely effected the box office by like 10%....at the very most.

Anyways.....that's what I think.

There are less rationale people in the world than you think.

And fear is not the reason for backing out, its more dampening of spirit, there's a difference. And rationality won't help anything like that.

Who cares? We don't live in a parallel world, in the real world the tragedy happened, that's all.All theories about numbers without the tragedy are a pure waste of time.I'm disappointed but don't waste your time like this guys, it's stupid.

In the box office world, the US, the UK and Australia match each other like 90% of the time. They can act like bellwethers for each other.

The effect is more than 6-7%. You're kidding yourself if you think it's around that. I work at a theater and I've worked box office both days. The day business has been absolutely pathetic, even notfabio said it was lagging nearly 50% in matinees behind TA at his chain. It does amazing at night because the teen/young adult crowd are generally unfazed by the shooting but the families that drive day business are nowhere to be found. That plays a HUGE factor. TA wouldn't have broken any records without the huge help it got from families on Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

This is true!But hopefully the families will come back next weekend or later on to help give TDKR big legs to make up for below-par OW.

It didn't break any records as far as i know. TA didn't either (in those markets).

Actually, TDKR will have secured the biggest 3 day superhero opening BY FAR in the UK. It even blew away TA's here in both gross and admissions, which held the previous record. That also had 3D. Edited by Heretic

If I see one more comment talking about what this film would have made if the shooting never occured, i'm going to puke. Why are you guys so obsessed about it? The tragedy took place, that's just a fact, so get over it and move on. If people really wanted to see this film OW they would have seen it. Any rationale person would know that their odds of dying while going to the movies these days are pretty slim.Do I think the shooting effected the box office? Yes. Was its impact that noteworthy.....nobody can know for sure. Its midnight gross certainly wasn't indicative of anything record breaking. The shooting likely effected the film by like 6-7% at most - mostly paranoid mothers who are disturbed from what they hear on the news were scared away....otherwise it was business as usual.But of course there has to be this big debate. It was tracking north of 180M....it was the most anticipated film since TPM....2012 has been breaking tonns of records...how could this sell less tickets than TDK...blah blah vlah Well guess what! Tracking can be wrong sometimes, the anticipation was huge but it was huge for other films too like DH2 and Spiderman 3, and TDK is the most attended OW of all time....why would coming up like 5% below that be dissapointing?Maybe you Nolan/Batman fans should just admit that you guys got a little too excited and just had really lousy preedictions instead of blaming it on a shooting, that most likely effected the box office by like 10%....at the very most.Anyways.....that's what I think.

Everything you said is bullshit. If you had bothered to read anything anyone has said, you would know how stupid your post is.First of all, yes tracking was wrong. TDKR would not have opened to 180-185M. It would have made MORE than that.Second, you say its midnight gross wasn't indicative of anything record-breaking. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? It made THIRTY MILLION DOLLARS IN THREE HOURS. In case you are too lazy to look it up, I'll just go ahead and let you know that that is the second biggest midnight gross on record. It is over $10 million more than what the Avengers brought in.Third and most importantly, you say if people wanted to see the movie, they would have. This is the most ignorant thing I have read all day. You think people even felt in the mood to do anything let alone go to the movies after what happened? A lot of people changed their plans and a lot of people are scared. Don't go spewing crap about how everyone was wrong and the shooting had no effect on the boxoffice. You're just making yourself look stupid. Edited by CEDAR
  • Like 2

Actually, TDKR will have secured the biggest 3 day superhero opening BY FAR in the UK. It even blew away TA's here in both gross and admissions, which held the previous record. That also had 3D.

That's because superheroes have more room to grow in OS markets. Edited by Elessar

That's because superheroes have more room to grow in OS markets.

The UK isn't some developing market that's just learning to appreciate Batman. Brits were up for seeing the movie and did so because the shooting happened in a far away place and was just another news story to them.
  • Like 3

The UK isn't some developing market that's just learning to appreciate Batman. Brits were up for seeing the movie and did so because the shooting happened in a far away place and was just another news story to them.

And you can't even bring up Heath Ledger with regards to Australia. If TDKR had any reason to make less in Australia, that was it and it didn't happen.

That's because superheroes have more room to grow in OS markets.

First you say TDKR is doing well in the UK and Australia because OS business is growing. Someone points out to you that the UK and Australia are NOT growing quickly and that TDK DID have great business there already. Your response is that superheroes have more room to grow in OS markets.Your argument's missing a link somewhere...
  • Like 1

First of all, yes tracking was wrong. TDKR would not have opened to 180-185M. It would have made MORE than that.

Oh, really? I think it would have made right around $180m. Nobody can say with certainty, so calling people stupid for having a different opinion just makes - guess what - yourself look stupid.

Second, you say its midnight gross wasn't indicative of anything record-breaking. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? It made THIRTY MILLION DOLLARS IN THREE HOURS. In case you are too lazy to look it up, I'll just go ahead and let you know that that is the second biggest midnight gross on record. It is over $10 million more than what the Avengers brought in.

Yes and TDK MADE FUCKING 18M DOLLARS IN THREE MOTHERFUCKING HOURS, much more than any Marvel movies at the time. Batman has a much more fervent fanbase, its OWs are more frontloaded.

1) If I see one more comment talking about what this film would have made if the shooting never occured, i'm going to puke. Why are you guys so obsessed about it? The tragedy took place, that's just a fact, so get over it and move on. If people really wanted to see this film OW they would have seen it. Any rationale person would know that their odds of dying while going to the movies these days are pretty slim.

2) Do I think the shooting effected the box office? Yes. Was its impact that noteworthy.....nobody can know for sure. Its midnight gross certainly wasn't indicative of anything record breaking. The shooting likely effected the film by like 6-7% at most - mostly paranoid mothers who are disturbed from what they hear on the news were scared away....otherwise it was business as usual.

3) But of course there has to be this big debate. It was tracking north of 180M....it was the most anticipated film since TPM....2012 has been breaking tonns of records...how could this sell less tickets than TDK...blah blah vlah Well guess what! Tracking can be wrong sometimes, the anticipation was huge but it was huge for other films too like DH2 and Spiderman 3, and TDK is the most attended OW of all time....why would coming up like 5% below that be dissapointing?

4) Maybe you Nolan/Batman fans should just admit that you guys got a little too excited and just had really lousy preedictions instead of blaming it on a shooting, that most likely effected the box office by like 10%....at the very most.

Anyways.....that's what I think.

I added number to your things because I wanted to. Also, here's my reaction to reading your post.

Posted Image

Now this is what I, the Queen, thinks:

1) It's not so easy for everyone to move on. It's not always fear, and as it's been said. It's the mood.

2) You said it yourself. No one can know for sure what the effect the shooting had, so why did you come up with percentages? I mean, what? You're cray. Also, it did have a big effect. Look at how much it's doing.

3) Omg, gurl...you're cray. Tracking can be wrong, but did $180M seem that crazy? I really don't think so. It seemed reasonable to me. In fact, for Survivor, my number was at $185M. Why? I found it the most realistic. It was one of the lower predictions, but it seemed the most plausible. And it's still far off from what happened. Like no boo boo.

4) Really lousy predictions? I found most of them realistic. Everything changed once the shooting happened. And here you go again with the percentages. Seriously, you're crazy.

And you...

Posted Image

• Like 5

Oh, really? I think it would have made right around $180m. Nobody can say with certainty, so calling people stupid for having a different opinion just makes - guess what - yourself look stupid.

Yes and TDK MADE FUCKING 18M DOLLARS IN THREE MOTHERFUCKING HOURS, much more than any Marvel movies at the time. Batman has a much more fervent fanbase, its OWs are more frontloaded.

Posted Image

Boo, need some chill pills? Or do you need to wake up and smell the Starbucks? Mmmhmmm.

Oh, really? I think it would have made right around $180m. Nobody can say with certainty, so calling people stupid for having a different opinion just makes - guess what - yourself look stupid.Yes and TDK MADE FUCKING 18M DOLLARS IN THREE MOTHERFUCKING HOURS, much more than any Marvel movies at the time. Batman has a much more fervent fanbase, its OWs are more frontloaded.

Pretty sure I said his post is stupid, so no I didn't make myself look stupid. Just you.As for the second part, you don't make any sense. I don't even understand what you are trying to say? TDKR's midnight being higher means its frontloaded? I guess you don't know there was a shooting huh?

First you say TDKR is doing well in the UK and Australia because OS business is growing. Someone points out to you that the UK and Australia are NOT growing quickly and that TDK DID have great business there already. Your response is that superheroes have more room to grow in OS markets.Your argument's missing a link somewhere...

Nope. I acknowledged that TDK was big in certain markets but not as big as the biggest properties there. And OS markets can't be always taken as 1:1 indicators. TDK made more in the UK than TA, which isn't the case in the USA.