CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

LOL. Is this suddenly a "Minions" hate-bandwagon, here? :D Poor you, haters.

It's not Twilight or a Transformers kind of franchise, guys.

I liked the first two DM movies, the first was better than the second.

But Minions looks like several jokes stretched out to 85 minutes.

Yeah. But we can't base the final DOM gross from the hate of a movie.

It's like saying "Oh, I hate this movie, so I want it to do badly."....No, no...it doesn't really work that way. We can't wish for a blockbuster to do badly just because we hate it.

TF2 says hello..and that made $402M DOM, despite shitty reception. That film sucked for many people, but that didn't stop it from being the biggest hit of Summer 2009.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

Where do you live, Tree? Because it seems to be an Ice Age situation: more well-liked globally than in the states. I know you keep saying audiences aren't critics, but it's worth pointing out that Minions had a healthy 77% with UK and Spanish critics before the Americans came in.

I live in the UK. It's not an Ice Age situation because DM2 made almost 400M in America; Ice Age was always much smaller.

The only reason I could possibly see for Minions being more well liked in UK than US, is that the film is set in London.

True, but what I can tell you is that Transformers has this huge teenager fanbase that is almost devoid of critical bias. The action was intense and Megan Fox was "hot", and that's all that mattered.

Granted we could make almost the same exact argument for Minions, but the issue is with the fact that kids have a bit less free will than teens... it's really about repeat business. And personally, I keep saying that I wasn't the HUGEST fan of DM2 but I saw the crossover appeal. I didn't for Minions.

I live in the UK. It's not an Ice Age situation because DM2 made almost 400M in America; Ice Age was always much smaller.

The only reason I could possibly see for Minions being more well liked in UK than US, is that the film is set in London.

...I wasn't talking about DM2. I'm talking about Minions.

I don't care about critics, Audience is the factor here.

Second that.

For this kind of film, critics have very little effect on the total income. Critics' reviews can factor, like, below 20%, while the remaining factored from audiences' reviews.

Hmm?

Are we gonna expect more teen/adult-appealing animated films/sequels next year? Cause they could still bring in the family-crowd...not just kids.

Finding Dory. Pixar will continue to be popular with adults and child audiences.

Also we are getting two Disney movies with Zootopia and Moana.

Finding Dory. Pixar will continue to be popular with adults and child audiences.

Also we are getting two Disney movies with Zootopia and Moana.

Agree with Finding Dory. Expect monster-business for Dory next year. It could be the biggest Pixar animated film in China. And Japan will still bring in the huge numbers that Pixar films usually do.

Zootopia could do big numbers, if it doesn't get too much clobbered by Batman & Superman.

Moana is a wildcard. Don't know exactly how big that will be? Got any guesses how those films could do box-office wise?

Agree with Finding Dory. Expect monster-business for Dory next year. It could be the biggest Pixar animated film in China. And Japan will still bring in the huge numbers that Pixar films usually do.

Zootopia could do big numbers, if it doesn't get too much clobbered by Batman & Superman.

Moana is a wildcard. Don't know exactly how big that will be? Got any guesses how those films could do box-office wise?

FD will do great, the original movie is beloved.

Zootopia and Moana will likely hit 200m. Moana has a much bigger potential and could make much more, but that depends on how much of the Frozen audience will show up for it.

FD will do great, the original movie is beloved.

Zootopia and Moana will likely hit 200m. Moana has a much bigger potential and could make much more, but that depends on how much of the Frozen audience will show up for it.

True. Maybe we get another surprising billion dollar grosser with Moana. If it does gangbuster business in China.

• Like 1