baumer

Weekend Estimates TDKR 62.84 IA4 13.3 TW 13 SU4 11.8

I dunno, Warrior made me feel something in a way the other two didn't even come close to. Especially The Fighter. I couldn't stand how entirely generic that movie's overall plot was. It was just a new age Rocky when you got down to it! It had a helluva cast and performances, which made it enjoyable on some level, but still the movie itself was not even close to memorable for me. And as Noctis mentioned already The Wrestler just left me hollow. I never really felt anything in that movie either. Rourke was phenomenal, but the movie was almost too intent on being depressing and "look at how screwed up this dude's life is" for it to work effectively. It needed some kind of pay off. That ending certainly wasn't it.

We'll certainly have to just agree to disagree. :) I feel very differently.

Must admit that Nolte got me very watery eyed in a couple scenes.

The Changeling is my favorite film of 2008. Emotionally powerful film with a powerhouse performance from Jolie.

I like Eastwood and I like JMS, but I thought their story was a mess. All over the place, and it couldn't figure out what sort of movie it was. To some extent I understand (there's so much that's crazy about the story), but it needed a great deal of focus. I didn't particularly care for Jolie either -- she was waaay over the top.

I'm not a fan of Jolie, but her performance in Changeling was one of the best of the decade.

It was pretty enthralling. I can't be too mad at Kate winning since it was a long time coming and a good performance as well, but Jolie really deserved it over her. Edited by MovieMan89

Yes, biggest flaw with Academy voting is that a lot of times they vote for their favorite film in each category instead of voting based on the actual merits in each category. For instance, I enjoyed The King's Speech more than The Social Network. However, there is no way in hell I think Hooper did a better job directing than Fincher. Hooper had some extremely distracting camera angles in the film and he was working with great, veteran actors (which made his job easier). Fincher was working with mostly unproven actors and got great performances out of them.

100% agreed. Although I'm not a fan of the movie itself, it was such a beautiful film. Hugo?

It was the dinosaurs, blame them Edited by MrPink

Yes, biggest flaw with Academy voting is that a lot of times they vote for their favorite film in each category instead of voting based on the actual merits in each category. For instance, I enjoyed The King's Speech more than The Social Network. However, there is no way in hell I think Hooper did a better job directing than Fincher. Hooper had some extremely distracting camera angles in the film and he was working with great, veteran actors (which made his job easier). Fincher was working with mostly unproven actors and got great performances out of them.

This is very true, even in tech categories. The Golden Compass had better VFX than AWE and Transformers...uh-huh...sure.
  • Like 1

This is very true, even in tech categories. The Golden Compass had better VFX than AWE and Transformers...uh-huh...sure.

It's especially true in technical categories. Slumdog is the perfect example of it. Best Score? Hell no. Best Cinematography? Hell no. And on and on.

Hugo wasn't even the most beautiful fantasy film of its year.I really wanted Jolie to win, but I don't begrudge Winslet. I think Reader has an absolutely captivating first half that unfortunately utterly collapses in the second half. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a film that was so good at first that ended up being an utter bore after the fifty minute mark. Winslet, though, was magical in every scene. She deserved the award.

Hugo wasn't even the most beautiful fantasy film of its year.I really wanted Jolie to win, but I don't begrudge Winslet. I think Reader has an absolutely captivating first half that unfortunately utterly collapses in the second half. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a film that was so good at first that ended up being an utter bore after the fifty minute mark. Winslet, though, was magical in every scene. She deserved the award.

I honestly didn't care for The Reader as a film at all really, but I do agree with you that Winslet owned every scene she was in and her performance was award worthy as well. That's why I couldn't be mad at her for winning.