baumer

Weekend Estimates TDKR 62.84 IA4 13.3 TW 13 SU4 11.8

So what's verdict on this number? Definitely better than the doomsday scenario of 18m Fri...

Could have been a lot worse. Rth's original Friday number was $16.5-17.5m, so the Friday number came in quite a bit higher and then it had a great increase on Saturday. I'm predicting a 20% drop for Sunday, but a better hold would be nice.
  • Like 2

Jack, no one is saying the shooting is the cause of "all of the movie's problems." Hell, I predicted a number of problems for this film long before July even got here. People consistently underestimated the Joker effect with B89 and TDK, and they also underestimated the Ledger effect. I just hope that people will learn their lesson and actually pay attention to the history of the franchise. This film is on track to sell 20-25% more tickets than Batman Forever, previously the most attended non-Joker Batman film. Considering the shooting, that is one hell of a performance IMHO and even without the shooting it would still be a damn good performance.

I'll just say this once, because I know you're better than this: agreeing with me - because this is basically what I've just said - after complaining that the shootings would make the film get to $180m+ and that whoever said that the shooting has an effect but not as big as people are claiming (I never said that it had a big effect or a minor one) it's basically what Ahmad would do. And you are better than this. I've been saying all along that this is a damn good performance. I never claimed otherwise. But I guess that in order to get into this club you need to put the blame in the shootings and say that this film is the best ever and it would break all the records, isn't it?

I'm done. I'm no RTX or BKB, if you people can't respect even baumer, why I would expect that you would treat me any differently?

It shouldn't be nominated for Best Picture. It's a comic book movie with tons of very comic booky elements. I didn't think TDK deserved to be nominated either.

Remember, TDK was one of the main reasons the Academy went to ten nominations(to appeal to a wider demographic). That alone could get TDKR a nomination by default. The Academy knows they made a mistake that year nominating The Reader(you have to agree that was a colossal screw up, regardless of how you may feel about TDK getting a nom). They may feel a collective need to atone for past sins. ;)
  • Like 1

I'll just say this once, because I know you're better than this: agreeing with me - because this is basically what I've just said - after complaining that the shootings would make the film get to $180m+ and that whoever said that the shooting has an effect but not as big as people are claiming (I never said that it had a big effect or a minor one) it's basically what Ahmad would do. And you are better than this. I've been saying all along that this is a damn good performance. I never claimed otherwise. But I guess that in order to get into this club you need to put the blame in the shootings and say that this film is the best ever and it would break all the records, isn't it?

I'm done. I'm no RTX or BKB, if you people can't respect even baumer, why I would expect that you would treat me any differently?

Hasan is a troll. Quit lumping me or anyone else in with him. I didn't like the fact that you quoted a whole bunch of us while addressing Hasan's post. If your intent was to call him out, then stop quoting the rest of us when not one of us agreed with what he said about Baumer. Baumer and I are completely on the same page with this film's opening weekend and total, on all counts. Opening definitely affected by tragedy, while the total will likely not be affected much. Total will end up very big, but will show the clear lack of Joker and Ledger effect that was always at play (and some people chose to ignore).

I stopped reading after "I'll."

Hasan is a troll. Quit lumping me or anyone else in with him. I didn't like the fact that you quoted a whole bunch of us while addressing Hasan's post. If your intent was to call him out, then stop quoting the rest of us when not one of us agreed with what he said about Baumer. Baumer and I are completely on the same page with this film's opening weekend and total, on all counts. Opening definitely affected by tragedy, while the total will likely not be affected much. Total will end up very big, but will show the clear lack of Joker and Ledger effect that was always at play (and some people chose to ignore).

I just wanted to quote those who talked about what Hasan said to give context. And I'm done with this.

I just wanted to quote those who talked about what Hasan said to give context. And I'm done with this.

Then be done with it. You always say you're "done" but continue on. Ignore any responses to this post and move on.Just some friendly advice. ;)
  • Like 2

TDK's third act with the ferry boat and sonar stuff killed its chances of being nominated.

The ferry scene is high up there as one of my favorite scenes in the film, so I highly disagree. The sonar thing reminded me of Batman Forever, so I'll have to agree with you there. Still, overall, it was such a game changer(in combination with BB) that it should have been recognized.

Why? It includes Academy's favorite plot device- white guilt.

lulz. The film basically jumped the shark during that sequence of events. The sonar eyes for Batman seemed like it was thrown in there for the toy companies. Last 10 minutes with Batman/Dent/Gordon is great and saves the final part of the film from being a complete letdown. Edited by redfirebird2008