17 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The beginning is a bit slow and jumbled, but once it gets going, it really gets going. Hardy, Chastain, and Lebouf are all great. One of my favorites of the year. Plus you get to see Chastain's boobies :wub:A- (would be a solid A if the first part was better).

• Like 2

Agreed that it starts a tad slow, but I freaking loved it. Hardy and Pearce gave two of my favorite performances of the year. I know neither will, but at least one deserves an Oscar nom. Hardy has to be my favorite actor of the moment, he just exudes a kind of charisma no one can match. Blows everybody off screen with three words a scene in every movie. Labeouf did his thing too, good job. I liked the ladies as well, especially Mia whatsherface. A-

Hardy was good in it, but Shia was better. He had more of an arc. Pearce is mesmerizing in that he is such a prick. The one thing I hated is that Pearce does all these heinous things to people and all he gets is a few bullets and a knife at the end. That fucker needed to be torn apart slowly limb by limb.7.5/10

• Like 1

I thought it was trying to be an epic story, but it was told in a mundane and cliche-ridden fashion.

Good performances, but I didn't find the characters that well-written, and Shia still annoyed the hell out of me. The story doesn't really seem to have a clear direction until an hour in, and even then it's kind of all over the place. The humor seemed really misplaced to me, and distracted from the overall story. I had no emotional attachment to any over the brothers, no emotional connection to the movie, and the two romantic sub-plots were brutal.

Sadly, I found this to be an average film that was striving to be more.

C+/C

Edited by mattmav45

Hardy was good in it, but Shia was better. He had more of an arc. Pearce is mesmerizing in that he is such a prick. The one thing I hated is that Pearce does all these heinous things to people and all he gets is a few bullets and a knife at the end. That fucker needed to be torn apart slowly limb by limb.7.5/10

I wanted to see Hardy break his spirit and his body.
  • Like 1

Decent movie.Could have been a lot better as Gopher said. I thought Shia was good in this. I think the screenplay was a bit poor. As far as the acting goes I give Gary Oldman top honors for his brief appearance. He's a fantastic actor and he plays the criminal so well. It's like he flicks on a switch and he's a whole different human being. Shia was good and the scene where he's told

Cricket was killed

showed real emotion. I didn't mind the romance part, seemed natural that in telling the story of these brothers they would have love interests. Jessica Chastain made good use of her small role. She's one of those actresses that melts into her part. I enjoyed her part.Guy Pearce was pretty over the top but he was serious business. He was rather creepy and for a minute I thought I was watching something other than a depression era film about moonshining, lol. When he

walked Cricket to the cave, I actually thought he was gonna rape him.

I thought the middle brother was criminally underwritten. And this brings me to Hardy. As much as I love him he left me underwhelmed. He has great presence but boy was that accent weird as hell. I don't know what he was speaking but it certainly wasn't any American dialect I've ever heard. Really disappointed about that. But still he's great to look at and he had a nice quiet presence that I could appreciate as long as he didn't speak. All in all I enjoyed the film. Decent but could have used a better screenplay.C+

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 1

It seems I am alone on this opinion but I think Shia is a fantastic actor. His personality just makes him look like an idiot. But in this film he is really quite good especially the cricket seen.

• Like 1

I found this to be alright nothing memorable.

7/10

Pretty much how I feel. I saw this yesterday after Robot and Frank. It started out decently enough, but right after Forrest gets his throat cut, the movie just goes downhill. The ending shoot out was pretty cheesy as well. Overall an ok movie, but very forgetful. Hardy was good as usual, Shia was at least better than normal.

B-

I liked it, except Hardy and the brothersall, but I am bothered when movies have stupid parts. Wish the Screenwriters would do a better job of not being so stupid, which takes away from the movie.* for example, after Hardy gets his neck cut, almost ear to ear, have someone find him right away, as there is no way he lives with the blood he loses, for an hour or more...sorry don't care about the legend...which was proved wrong at the end anyway.* and why didn't they just burn down the house and try to kill them all....especially since Pierce didn't have any trouble with extreme violence....and if the brothers were dead, no one would be running the still.* and sorry, I hated that one last scene. Let the guy live and everyone be happy, over the dying and the ending line of it being told.

Pretty much how I feel. I saw this yesterday after Robot and Frank. It started out decently enough, but right after Forrest gets his throat cut, the movie just goes downhill. The ending shoot out was pretty cheesy as well. Overall an ok movie, but very forgetful. Hardy was good as usual, Shia was at least better than normal.

B-

LMAO at the ending shoot out scene. Brother Forrest got out of the car all slow and dramatic like he was about to do some insane last stand damage and instead he could barely lift his gun before getting lit up like a Christmas tree. Reminded me of Fredo fumbling with his gun while the Godfather was getting torched up.
  • Like 3

LMAO at the ending shoot out scene. Brother Forrest got out of the car all slow and dramatic like he was about to do some insane last stand damage and instead he could barely lift his gun before getting lit up like a Christmas tree. Reminded me of Fredo fumbling with his gun while the Godfather was getting torched up.

Perfect analogy. Yeah the ending shooting was pretty bad to me as well

The ending shows why sometimes you need to beef it up, real or not. The end should have been an epic shootout and then Shia kicking the holy shit out of Pearce.

Haha. Exactly! Especially the Shia part. Shia should have unleashed the Wrath of Satan on him for the ass beatin' he took and for killing Cricket.
  • Like 1