Sims

Boxoffice.com's Top 100 Films -- 2013 THREAD TO START SOON! POSSIBLE RULE CHANGES ON PG. 50

19. Back to the Future

Robert Zemeckis, 1985

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Nominated for 4 Oscars, won 1

787 points

Synopsis: In 1985, Doc Brown invents time travel; in 1955, Marty McFly accidentally prevents his parents from meeting, putting his own existence at stake.

Trivia: The production ultimately used three real DeLoreans.

18. Fight Club

David Fincher, 1999

"An insomniac office worker and a devil-may-care soap maker form an underground fight club that transforms into a violent revolution."

Nominated for 1 Oscar

810 points

Synopsis: An insomniac office worker and a devil-may-care soap maker form an underground fight club that transforms into a violent revolution.

Trivia: Author Chuck Palahniuk has stated that he found the film to be an improvement on his novel.

Very nice. Both are in my top 100 and BTTF is pretty much exactly where I have it ranked.

TDKR is 2nd biggest movie since Avatar. over 50m ticket sold.

It hasn't sold more than Avengers. Sorry, but it will finish with 150 mill less, there's no way it sold more tickets than Avengers....keep dreaming there Dex.

It hasn't sold more than Avengers. Sorry, but it will finish with 150 mill less, there's no way it sold more tickets than Avengers....keep dreaming there Dex.

No, what he's saying is correct, TDKR is the second biggest movie since Avatar.

I think he meant 2nd biggest movie since Avatar, so in other words the biggest movie since Avatar being Avengers?

15. Forrest Gump

Robert Zemeckis, 1994

"My name's Forrest Gump. My friends call me Forrest Gump."

Nominated for 13 Oscars, won 6

877 points

Synopsis: Forrest Gump, while not intelligent, has accidentally been present at many historic moments, but his true love, Jenny, eludes him.

Trivia: Tom Hanks said that he would make the film only if all the events that took place were true to historical reality.

94 had some great films.....Pulp, Shawshank and Gump. All three make my top 100. A great film.

#13 (this movie was #1 for a while)

13. Raiders of the Lost Ark

Steven Spielberg, 1981

"Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?"

Nominated for 8 Oscars, won 4 + Special Achievement Award

923 points

Synopsis: Archaeologist and adventurer Indiana Jones is hired by the US government to find the Ark of the Covenant before the Nazis.

Trivia: At the halfway point of the competition, this film was sitting comfortably in number one.

I'm pleased its ranked so high. It's top five for me but this film is 30 years old so I'm just glad it is remembered here.

The Top 10!

10. The Matrix

Andy & Lana Wachowski, 1999

Posted Image

"Woah."

Won 4 Oscars

980 points

Synopsis: A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers.

Trivia: The glyphs on the computer screens, with the exception of the call traces, consists of reversed letters, numbers, and Japanese katakana characters.

AWESOME!

Just one thing, it was Larry who directed it, not Lana. :)

• Like 1

The list kinda shit the bed in its final run to the finish line. Inception? The Social Network? The Matrix? TDKR? Fucking Titanic? Pulp Fiction? Some of those movies are pretty good, but they don't belong anywhere near the top quarter of a list like this.I blame the people who haven't seen almost anything later than 15 years ago. I also agree with tribefan's comment that there should be a barrier to people posting films only a year or two old to prevent recent memories hijacking their mind.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

The list kinda shit the bed in its final run to the finish line. Inception? The Social Network? TDKR? Fucking Titanic? Pulp Fiction?I blame the people who haven't seen almost anything later than 15 years ago. I also agree with tribefan's comment that there should be a barrier to people posting films only a year or two old to prevent recent memories hijacking their mind.

What did you expect to see? What every movie buff has on their list?

7. The Dark Knight

Christopher Nolan, 2008

Posted Image

"Why so serious?"

Nominated for 8 Oscars, won 2

1,046 points

Synopsis: When Batman, Gordon and Harvey Dent launch an assault on the mob, they let the clown out of the box, the Joker, bent on turning Gotham on itself and bringing any heroes down to his level.

Trivia: Heath Ledger won a total of 32 Best Supporting Actor awards for his work in the film.

I love this film and it is in my top 15. I'd have no problem with it ranking anywhere on the list. One of the greatest performances of all time.

What did you expect to see? What every movie buff has on their list?

I expected that people who submitted lists might have a greater appreciation of cinema than what either grossed a shit ton of money or what came out beyond the last 15-20 years.

I expected that people who submitted lists might have a greater appreciation of cinema than what either grossed a shit ton of money or what came out beyond the last 15-20 years.

But the people who use this forum are a fairly young crowd. It's not like this is a definitive list anyway.