The Master

29 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I don't care to line up PTA's filmography. Magnolia, The Master, There Will Be Blood and Boogie Nights are all masterpieces IMO. Punch Drunk Love is a very good film and a very interesting one, but I just think there's less going on there than in the rest of his body of work.

Less going on in PDL? It may be shorter but that's certainly not the case.

I think calling PDL a comedy is being pretty generous, I see it as more of a drama. I didn't laugh but a few times, and I honestly dont think they were even trying to make you amused too often.

There was definitely dramatic weight there, but I was surprised at how often I laughed out loud or just sat there smiling from ear to ear. A lot of moments were funny and dramatically strong at the same time. It strikes a great balance imo.

As much as people say magnolia is an Altman copy, I strongly disagree. And PTA has even said that he'll never make a better movie.

Didn't he say that when he was hyping th film during it's initial release? I remember someone, maybe Kermode, asked him recently if he still thought that and he tiptoed around it with some "All my films are great." bs.
  • Like 1

There Will Be Blood is a beast of a movie, man. Its a tremendous achievement.

It's probably his greatest technical achievement and definitely one of my favorites of all time, but the emotional connection in magnolia is transcendent. What he pulled off with it still blows my mind.

Didn't he say that when he was hyping th film during it's initial release? I remember someone, maybe Kermode, asked him recently if he still thought that and he tiptoed around it with some "All my films are great." bs.

To be fair, he said that 13 years ago. His opinion might have changed since then.

Yeah, I just mean he kind of knew what he accomplished with it. Here's the quote:"I have a feeling, one of those gut feelings, that I'll make pretty good movies the rest of my life. And maybe I'll make some clunkers, maybe I'll make some winners, but I guess the way that I really feel is that "Magnolia" is, for better or worse, the best movie I'll ever make. -- IMDb Quotes: Paul Thomas Anderson"

I don't care to line up PTA's filmography. Magnolia, The Master, There Will Be Blood and Boogie Nights are all masterpieces IMO. Punch Drunk Love is a very good film and a very interesting one, but I just think there's less going on there than in the rest of his body of work. 

You forgot Hard Eight!

If I had to rank them, it would be...

1. Magnolia

2. There Will Be Blood

3. Boogie Nights

4. The Master

5. Hard Eight

6. Punch Drunk Love