A Marvel Fanboy

The A List

If Lawrence was so A-list, House would have opened higher than it did and finish higher than it will. She's just an actress that got cast in a really popular story. If Hayden Pantierre had been cast in THG, would she now be A-list?

• Like 1

I think the problem in debating this is pinpointing when and where careers aren't at the top of their game anymore, which is difficult, because people can quietly fade and others can break out after a few quieter years.For example, Witherspoon single-handedly opened movies like Sweet Home Alabama and Legally Blonde, but she doesn't seem to be headlining much anymore. On the other hand, Channing Tatum is in a position right now where I think he can open any movie, so he's going to be A-list material soon.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

my opinion of the current A listActors:Will SmithTom CruiseTom HanksJohnny DeppDenzel WashingtonLeonardo DiCaprioMatt Damon (though I'm not entirely sure if he should be here)Brad PittGeorge ClooneyActresses:Meryl StreepAngelina JolieReese WitherspoonSandra Bullock

Yeah, good. More or less spot on.

Mark Wahlberg is always forgotten in these discussions. He is on a hot streak right now with Ted, The Fighter, Contraband, Other Guys and Date Night. Got another January test with Broken City which looks great as well.

Before Ironman, Downey is a C-list. Clooney can not open a movie well really, but somehow he is always considered A lister.

Downey Jr. is A list now. He got pure garbage Due Date to 100M, and is lead of 2 monster franchises.

Mark Wahlberg is always forgotten in these discussions. He is on a hot streak right now with Ted, The Fighter, Contraband, Other Guys and Date Night. Got another January test with Broken City which looks great as well.

He didn't get forgotten. He got disregarded. He's hot right now, but he's not A-list. Every director is not dying to work with him. Don't get me wrong, I love Wahlberg, so it's hard for me to say, but it's the truth.